If I need new BFS reel?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: If I need new BFS reel?

Post by earthworm77 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:20 pm

John G wrote:For you guys that like the 12 Aldebaran BFS XG platform, a KTF or an Avail ALD1224 with the magnetic brakes will put the OG spool to shame in performance. The OG spool holds the same amount of line as the 32mm Yumeya and that is one of the things that it has going against it.

John, could you put a photo up of that set up? I have the same reel, I'd love to see it.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:31 am

earthworm77 wrote:

John, could you put a photo up of that set up? I have the same reel, I'd love to see it.
KTF on the left and the Avail ALD1224 on the right and a pic of the Avail magnetic brake. I’m still playing around with this setup and the next time I go out, I will probably remove a couple of magnets.
Imageupload photos online

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Just_Bass » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:01 am

John G wrote:
earthworm77 wrote:

KTF on the left and the Avail ALD1224 on the right and a pic of the Avail magnetic brake. I’m still playing around with this setup and the next time I go out, I will probably remove a couple of magnets.
Look really nice man, I almost got alde bfs myself but got outbid last minute lol.

Anyone wanna sell me Ray's spool for 70?

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:43 am

John G wrote:
earthworm77 wrote:

Imageupload photos online
Did you talk Karil into selling and sending you those Golden Wings?

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:02 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:
Did you talk Karil into selling and sending you those Golden Wings?
I did not. The bottom one was bought through a member here and I took delivery of the top one last Thursday. They can be found in different shops throughout Japan. All you have to do is find, buy and ship.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:05 pm

Just_Bass wrote:
John G wrote:
earthworm77 wrote:

Look really nice man, I almost got alde bfs myself but got outbid last minute lol.

Anyone wanna sell me Ray's spool for 70?
Thank you

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:54 pm

That's crazy Fenwick even has JDM only rods. Who else does this? Does St. Croix?
This is the way.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:59 pm

poisonokie wrote:That's crazy Fenwick even has JDM only rods. Who else does this? Does St. Croix?
Shimano does it and I think Daiwa does too. The JDM Fenwicks are very expensive though.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:25 pm

John G wrote:
poisonokie wrote:That's crazy Fenwick even has JDM only rods. Who else does this? Does St. Croix?
Shimano does it and I think Daiwa does too. The JDM Fenwicks are very expensive though.
Abu Garcia as well

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:25 pm

John G wrote:
I bet they are. They all are. I know the likes of Daiwa, Shimano, and Abu do it, but I think of Fenwick as a US company, so that surprises me.
This is the way.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:29 pm

poisonokie wrote:
John G wrote:
I bet they are. They all are. I know the likes of Daiwa, Shimano, and Abu do it, but I think of Fenwick as a US company, so that surprises me.
Fenwick has a big JDM lineup for bass.

https://www.tiemco.co.jp/fenwick/

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:30 pm

poisonokie wrote:
John G wrote:
Fenwick Japan has a much bigger lineup. Killer blanks compared to what we get

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:51 pm

[quote\]
Fenwick Japan has a much bigger lineup. Killer blanks compared to what we get[/quote]

Been thinking about pulling the trigger on a Techno GP for some time now. I realize they are an older rod, origionally fetching $600, now can be had for a mid $200 price. One of the few JDM brands that has a 7'4 L and ML casting rod. Suitable for my fishing area code right now.

If I am not mistaken the entire line up is made in China. I think I can count on 1 hand and 1 foot the rods that are actually made in Japan anymore.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:18 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote: If I am not mistaken the entire line up is made in China. I think I can count on 1 hand and 1 foot the rods that are actually made in Japan anymore.
My Golden Wings are Made in China but that’s ok with me cause they are really nice sticks.

Patex
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Patex » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:36 am

Aquaftm45 wrote:[quote\]
Fenwick Japan has a much bigger lineup. Killer blanks compared to what we get
Been thinking about pulling the trigger on a Techno GP for some time now. I realize they are an older rod, origionally fetching $600, now can be had for a mid $200 price. One of the few JDM brands that has a 7'4 L and ML casting rod. Suitable for my fishing area code right now.

If I am not mistaken the entire line up is made in China. I think I can count on 1 hand and 1 foot the rods that are actually made in Japan anymore.[/quote]
I think those are 2013 models, you are probably better off getting a couple of North Fork composite 7'6 blanks and get it built for your spec.