If I need new BFS reel?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: If I need new BFS reel?

Post by LowRange » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:03 am

If you want control at the end of the cast and on splash down then the Air Brake of the Ray's and Daiwa spools are better suited for your needs. Magnetic brakes in general are going to be better suited to this including non Daiwa mag brakes like the BFS Abu spools. Centrifugal brakes are very free at the end of the cast and do little to no braking as the bait nears the water.

As to why your Alde is struggling.. I don't know but I have heard of guys having problems dialing in those reels. Some brake blocks would brake too much and other would not brake enough resulting in mixed block types being used. The Ray's DIY for Pixy is a nice blend of distance and control. If you want more distance out of the Pixy consider changing to a longer rod. Maybe a Teton 662L?

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:42 pm

From other forums and groups that I am involved in is Magnetic braking works better for BFS with some suggesting linear magnetic braking such as abu use is better or fixed inductors on daiwa reels. As the mag Z/V and SV still rely on centrifugal force to push the inductor into the magnetic field , by fixing the inductor in the out position it remains in the magnetic field for the whole cast.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:08 pm

BARRAMANIAC wrote:From other forums and groups that I am involved in is Magnetic braking works better for BFS with some suggesting linear magnetic braking such as abu use is better or fixed inductors on daiwa reels. As the mag Z/V and SV still rely on centrifugal force to push the inductor into the magnetic field , by fixing the inductor in the out position it remains in the magnetic field for the whole cast.
I could be wrong, but one thing I noticed on the Alphas ASC is that the rotor actually appears to be fixed in the IN position (It's an SV type rotor and the ramps are flush with each other in their resting position and glued together.) That kinda makes sense to me because you want the braking to remain constant even at low spool speeds, but it needs to be very light so as not to choke off the cast with a diminutive lure. Mine is fresh outta the box and has stunning free spool time. Either way, it is STELLAR for ultra light baits.
This is the way.

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Just_Bass » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:54 pm

LowRange wrote:If you want control at the end of the cast and on splash down then the Air Brake of the Ray's and Daiwa spools are better suited for your needs. Magnetic brakes in general are going to be better suited to this including non Daiwa mag brakes like the BFS Abu spools. Centrifugal brakes are very free at the end of the cast and do little to no braking as the bait nears the water.

As to why your Alde is struggling.. I don't know but I have heard of guys having problems dialing in those reels. Some brake blocks would brake too much and other would not brake enough resulting in mixed block types being used. The Ray's DIY for Pixy is a nice blend of distance and control. If you want more distance out of the Pixy consider changing to a longer rod. Maybe a Teton 662L?
It is wired thou, with stock spool I can cast down to 1/8oz with ease but not distance wise. It might also be the tiny braid which seem want to come off spool too quick. I might change to 6lb mono instead to see if it help or at least I can use this reel on finesse stuff for bass instead of panfish. I'll wait to see if Ray's spool for 70s would do any better than yumeya, if not then I might have to get another shallow spool for my Alphas SV.

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Just_Bass » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:25 am

Finally ray’s Studio spool for my 70s arrived, I loaded up with #4 Izor line and went to do a few casts. So far I like it better than alde MG7+yumeya spool. It is more controllable, distance is good enough and not a lot of backlash still get some overrun thou. I can cast down to 1/16oz Marabou Jig and accuracy is acceptable, unlike alde that so unpredictable. I’m not sure if that 10lb braid is the culprit since I’m not used to using braid line. I set all 4 brakes on and dial between 3-4, spool tension to where the lure drop freely and only a few loops when pulled. I might have to strip off braid and give mono a try on Alde. On pixy+Ray’s spool is still the best on backlash free, no problem whatsoever with 18lb gliss line, but distance not as good as 70s + Ray’s spool.
Attachments
951D95AC-5A7C-4AE5-8352-30116140C966.jpeg
951D95AC-5A7C-4AE5-8352-30116140C966.jpeg (59.42 KiB) Viewed 2659 times