If I need new BFS reel?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: If I need new BFS reel?

Post by Dalleinf » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:41 am

I have not tried the KTF spool (yet) but would not mind 50 m of 6 lb (or even more shallow). I almost purchased the KTF spool when it was in stock quite some time ago. Instead I ended up with 3 ZPI nrc001m, which is a great spool but not really BFS...

Edit: My air stream customs are 40m 4lb, which is about right :-)

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:53 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:Another thing I will add that I think most people don't think about is matching the side plate bearing to the spool bearing. I would imagine that if you are swapping out spools (especially a BFS spool with a high quality micro bearing) and leaving in your stock or even a quality ceramic bearing in your sideplate, your not doing yourself any favors.

I might be wrong, but just a thought.
I agree. Bearings have a greater impact on a BFS reel than a regular baitcast reel throwing typical bass baits. While it is not a high end example, my Black Max 3 with Momo spool had such gummed up bearings on both the palming plate and on the spool that the reel felt like the mag brakes were on half when they were completely off. I put some DIY micros on it which freed it up tremendously and I had to actually use the mag dial to slow the spool instead of the bearings.

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Just_Bass » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:22 pm

Thanks guys for all the post, I end up with maybe #4 or #5 in all you guy listed, the yumeya spool for my Aldebaran MG7, that is. The reason, I had to wait for 3-4 weeks for Ray's spool and accidentally I saw listing on yumeya spool for not much more than I would pay for Ray's. As of now I think I'm quite happy since I want this type reel to be super lite weight to match the rod and I don't plan to throw super lite weight lures. I hope I don't have to buy new BFS rod soon LOL.
Also thanks @john G, I enjoy pixy very much, have not put it down ever since I got it. I caught a few crappies with it (my target) plus bonus on some good bass.
4.57lbs on 1/16oz Ned rig 1/2 zinkerz
IMG_1558.JPG
IMG_1558.JPG (65.96 KiB) Viewed 7339 times
On beetle spin with 1/20oz Zman slimZ
IMG_1559.JPG
IMG_1559.JPG (60.62 KiB) Viewed 7339 times
22" bass on powerbait 3" minnow
IMG_1560.JPG
IMG_1560.JPG (191.83 KiB) Viewed 7339 times
Last edited by Just_Bass on Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:44 pm

Nice. I love catching big 'uns on light gear. I caught this one on a little Duo crank. Really the crank just happened to snag the loop of a presnelled hook that this bass had broken off of someone's catfish rig. The hook was all rusted out, so it had been there a long time. It would take a while to find that picture, but I'll look. Anyway, it was a good fight that I should have probably lost, but that rod handled it no problem.

This is the way.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:51 pm

Just_Bass wrote:Thanks guys for all the post, I end up with maybe #4 or #5 in all you guy listed, the yumeya spool for my Aldebaran MG7, that is. The reason, I had to wait for 3-4 weeks for Ray's spool and accidentally I saw listing on yumeya spool for not much more than I would pay for Ray's. As of now I think I'm quite happy since I want this type reel to be super lite weight to match the rod and I don't plan to throw super lite weight lures. I hope I don't have to buy new BFS rod soon LOL.
Also thanks @john G, I enjoy pixy very much, have not put it down ever since I got it. I caught a few crappies with it (my target) plus bonus on some good bass.
IMG_1558.JPG
IMG_1559.JPG
IMG_1560.JPG
Nice fish and glad that you are putting the Pixy to good use.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:51 pm

Well, it wasn't so hard to find after all. This is exactly what it looked like when I pulled it out of the water. Bizarre, really. Oh, on the subject of bearings, I totally concur. The reel in the previous picture has Hedgehog Air ceramics and they really shine with light stuff.

This is the way.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:56 pm

grab a pixy and call it a day. 1/8oz is pretty easy to cast unless its a non aerodynamic crankbait. if you'll be casting below 1/8, a rays studio pixy spool with a pair of HH Air BFS would be 8-)

the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by the hooligan » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:48 am

i upgrade all my bfs reels to zpi sic or yt fusion bearings but to be honest, factory shimano/daiwa bearings are excellent.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:43 am

I have 3 bfs setups currently
The silver pixy with an air stream custom spool
The white pixy modified to take the 33mm cosugi works spool
And the aldebaran with the 918tr avail spool

All can cast 1/8oz or less. The aldebaran can cast the lightest with the most ease but the airstream spooled pixy is surprisingly close. The cosugi works spool is the most versatile with enough capacity to use up to 1/4 baits. All have hh air bfs bearings which have been stellar performers.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:45 am

ss30378 wrote:Image

I have 3 bfs setups currently
The silver pixy with an air stream custom spool
The white pixy modified to take the 33mm cosugi works spool
And the aldebaran with the 918tr avail spool

All can cast 1/8oz or less. The aldebaran can cast the lightest with the most ease but the airstream spooled pixy is surprisingly close. The cosugi works spool is the most versatile with enough capacity to use up to 1/4 baits. All have hh air bfs bearings which have been stellar performers.
Nice work, Steve! =D> =D> =D>
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:29 am

I think very little of bearing upgrades and I don’t really buy into the one tiny drop of oil thing either. I’m not the most studious guy in the world when it comes to maintenance so what I do is take my needle drop oiler and I’ll put three or four tiny drops of TS321into each bearing because I don’t want to mess up my bearings and I know with that much oil, they will be fine.The reason why I don’t believe in bearing upgrades is because I think that Shimano already installs high-quality bearings in their high end reels.
Last edited by John G on Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:06 pm

Just_Bass wrote:Thanks guys for all the post, I end up with maybe #4 or #5 in all you guy listed, the yumeya spool for my Aldebaran MG7, that is. The reason, I had to wait for 3-4 weeks for Ray's spool and accidentally I saw listing on yumeya spool for not much more than I would pay for Ray's. As of now I think I'm quite happy since I want this type reel to be super lite weight to match the rod and I don't plan to throw super lite weight lures. I hope I don't have to buy new BFS rod soon LOL.
IMG_1558.JPG
IMG_1559.JPG
IMG_1560.JPG
What rod is this in the 3rd picture with the full cork handle?

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:13 pm

Bfs is the only area where i do think bearings can help. Ive run flushed stock shimano and daiwa bearings compared to the air bfs bearings and spool startup is easier with the bfs bearings. The lighter the lure the more i can see a difference. Over an 1/8oz i dont notice as much but down around a 1/16oz or less and theres a difference.

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Just_Bass » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:37 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
IMG_1558.JPG
IMG_1559.JPG
IMG_1560.JPG
What rod is this in the 3rd picture with the full cork handle?
That would be my cheap old Daiwa spinmatic 7' UL.

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Just_Bass » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:53 am

Not so happy with my alde MG7 + yumeya spool. I loaded up yumeya spool with 10lb braid line try with 1/16 oz road runner, 1/8oz and 3/16oz jerk bait. The spool run super fast and got quite a bit of over run at the end and of cast and the distance is not as good as pixy+Ray's spool. I tried 2-4 brakes, end up with 1 white and 1 gray on but distance still not as I hope for and over run still happen especially when Lure hit water. With 3/16oz jerkbait LC SP65, I can bomb cast no problem but that is not what it for and I can do that with my 70s. On pixy is more like thumb free casting, dial brake a little less than half, distance is acceptable and hardly get any backlash (I do a lot of night fishing).
how is your setup on Aldebaran MG7+yumeya spool? My Ray's spool for 70s should arrive within couple weeks but I'm not really having high hope for it.