Looking for spinning 8' Trout stick

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Looking for spinning 8' Trout stick

Post by 1nutinthewater » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:58 am

Looking for preferably an 8' stick for bubble fishing trout in high mountain lakes. Current favorite is a loomis TSR901 which i love but just wanting a change and a longer rod as it is 7'6", 2-6# , 1/32-3/16 and would want nothing heavier.

Casting 1/8 oz weight with float and fly. Fish run 2-4#

Phenix feather or fenwick elite river runner? jdm?
Any first hand on an 8' spinning rod appreciated.
Our tradition is that of the first who sneaked away to the creek when tribe did not really need fish

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Looking for spinning 8' Trout stick

Post by ultralight » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:27 am

1 piece or 2 piece?

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:37 am

Prefer 1 piece but 2 would work.
Our tradition is that of the first who sneaked away to the creek when tribe did not really need fish

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craigthor » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:48 pm

Fenwick Elite River Runner is a great stick used a couple of them in the 7’6” variety. Really like their ULF versions.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:43 pm

Craigthor wrote:Fenwick Elite River Runner is a great stick used a couple of them in the 7’6” variety. Really like their ULF versions.
Another vote for the River Runner. Fantastic rod that handles both plastics and hard baits very well.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:38 pm

I really like the looks of the Phenix Iron Feather myself.

I want the IF771-1

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:34 pm

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:I really like the looks of the Phenix Iron Feather myself.

I want the IF771-1
Awesome blanks, you should try a custom spiral-wrapped casting rod on that blank. I had one and let a buddy up in WA state talk me out of it for kokanee. Still kicking myself.... ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:03 pm

hoohoorjo, I was about to write something about the Iron Feather having handled but not fished it. However, I see that you have actual experience - may I ask what you liked about it? And what lb test and lure weight you used it with?

The tip is amazingly soft which leads me to think that it may not work as well for wanting precise control of a jig, especially one that is in the upper half of its lure range (up to 3/8 oz is remarkable for a tip that soft). But I realize that the body stiffens quickly they may be using the main shaft beyond the solid tip to manipulate the lure? I thought the tip would be excellent for detecting bait bites.

Anyways, quite curious about your specific thoughts. (plus you can always just get another wrapped for you right?)

Thanks.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:59 am

Never used one, but St Croix makes an 8' in the panfish series. I have two of the shorter ones and really like them. 15 yr warranty, $150. The handles are really nice, if a little thin, the reel seats are comfortable, the guides aren't the greatest (pac bay or sea guide stainless), but more than adequate for light lines/drag settings, and they're super light. I'm sure it would make a good float & fly rod. They have a really soft tip, but aren't lacking in backbone. With a fast reel to suck up all the slack and sharp snap of the rod, I almost always hook up. I use mine a lot with crappie corks and 1/32-1/16 jig heads and it performs very well. They're really sensitive when pulling around little underspins and hardbaits. They're tough, too. I've accidentally banged both of them around (striking the side of the boat, etc) and they're no worse for wear. I hardly ever fail to land the fish and I've caught some big slabs and the occasional 2-3# bass. They're about to stock the trout ponds here, so I can't wait to get into some of those with them. Like I said, I've never used the 8 or 9 footers, and I've never fished the way you're planning on using it for, but it might be something to consider. If you have a Cabela's close by they should have at least one of each model in stock so you can check them out.
This is the way.