Considering adding a second and looking at BFS...

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Considering adding a second and looking at BFS...

Post by Craigthor » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:06 pm

After reading through the forum figured I should join in. Currently fishing a TenRyu Spectra with Shimano Cardiff CI4+ 1000SHG with JDM Spoons and UL Cranks from Daiwa and Smith. Thinking of adding a BFS setup to the mix and looking at the TenRyu Rayz 5’3” UL and the Daiwa Alphas Air Stream Custom. Mostly looking at small streams 3-20’ across and lots of casts in the 5-15’ range. Really like my spoons from 2-3g and cranks 3.5-4g. Love my spinning setup but I feel the high retrieve of the Cardiff is way too much for the areas I fish with my casting distances.

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Considering adding a second and looking at BFS...

Post by earthworm77 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:10 pm

I have a Cardiff 1000SHG, the ratio is 5 to 1.
You should be ok with that for small stream fishing.

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craigthor » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:15 pm

earthworm77 wrote:I have a Cardiff 1000SHG, the ratio is 5 to 1.
Are you sure yours is the 1000 SHG? The SHG Has a 6.0:1 with a 79cm per turn winding length, the standard 1000 S is a 5.0:1 with a 66cm per turn winding length

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:22 am

earthworm77 wrote:I have a Cardiff 1000SHG, the ratio is 5 to 1.
Half the fun is buying a new combo. :mrgreen:

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:29 am

Craigthor wrote:After reading through the forum figured I should join in. Currently fishing a TenRyu Spectra with Shimano Cardiff CI4+ 1000SHG with JDM Spoons and UL Cranks from Daiwa and Smith. Thinking of adding a BFS setup to the mix and looking at the TenRyu Rayz 5’3” UL and the Daiwa Alphas Air Stream Custom. Mostly looking at small streams 3-20’ across and lots of casts in the 5-15’ range. Really like my spoons from 2-3g and cranks 3.5-4g. Love my spinning setup but I feel the high retrieve of the Cardiff is way too much for the areas I fish with my casting distances.
I’m quite sure you know that you can reel slower so it sounds like you want a new combo. I’m a big fan of short rods and I was very surprised at the accuracy that can be obtained with barely over 5’ trout rods. I’m sure that the TenRyu would be nice but I would get a Shimano 16 Aldebaran BFS XG because I like Shimano. Have you looked at the Smith B Sticky trout rods? I want the 5’7” version of this.

https://www.troutshop.jp/index.php?m=c& ... 01G4500422

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craigthor » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:50 am

John G wrote:
Craigthor wrote:After reading through the forum figured I should join in. Currently fishing a TenRyu Spectra with Shimano Cardiff CI4+ 1000SHG with JDM Spoons and UL Cranks from Daiwa and Smith. Thinking of adding a BFS setup to the mix and looking at the TenRyu Rayz 5’3” UL and the Daiwa Alphas Air Stream Custom. Mostly looking at small streams 3-20’ across and lots of casts in the 5-15’ range. Really like my spoons from 2-3g and cranks 3.5-4g. Love my spinning setup but I feel the high retrieve of the Cardiff is way too much for the areas I fish with my casting distances.
I’m quite sure you know that you can reel slower so it sounds like you want a new combo. I’m a big fan of short rods and I was very surprised at the accuracy that can be obtained with barely over 5’ trout rods. I’m sure that the TenRyu would be nice but I would get a Shimano 16 Aldebaran BFS XG because I like Shimano. Have you looked at the Smith B Sticky trout rods? I want the 5’7” version of this.

https://www.troutshop.jp/index.php?m=c& ... 01G4500422

Unfortunately on the short 10-15’ casts it is almost painful to reel as slow needed for some retrieves as at 10’ it is barely over 3 full revolutions to get the lure all the way back. Based on the math and where I fish it would be more enjoyable and less work having to reel centimeters at a time for a slow retrieve.

If it was mid summer and the fish were super aggressive I could see needing to crank it back fast but even then I’ll be focusing on even smaller technical waters.

I will look at those Smith rods here in a bit. Also, just considering selling my Cardiff and purchasing a lower retrieve and geared spinning reel as I really like the rod.

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by earthworm77 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:18 pm

look into a 500 series reel, maybe a 1000 is too much for the size of the stream

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craigthor » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:39 am

Right now I’m looking at the 2018 Daiwa Exist FC LT1000S-P as it has a gear ratio of 4.9:1. Looking back to when I started UL fishing many years ago my favorite reel was a Limited Edition Pinnacle Alyssa 20 which had a 5.3:1. Remember paying a small fortune for that reel but it was my go to for many years.