Educate me on high end JDM UL.

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Educate me on high end JDM UL.

Post by poisonokie » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:35 am

Stream rods are shorter and stiffer for accuracy and fighting fish in current like that broken Rayz I had to return and your Ice Cube, I know that much. I think they're mostly designed for UL hardbaits.

Area rods are longer and more limber for long casts and super light line like that ester you introduced to me, except sub 2# test. I think they're mostly for micro spoons. I'm pretty sure the 6'9" and 7' Panfish Series St. Croix sticks I have more or less fall into this category. The really short ones could be considered stream rods, too. Even Bass Pro has a respectable line of rods called the MicroLite graphite series to handle both situations. They have surprisingly high quality cork grips and screw down reel seats very similar to the Tenryu.

Like you said, Ajing seems to be for saltwater jigging like that Soare rod the new guy is talking about. An Aji is a small ocean mackerel. It has a solid tip making it a very fast rod good for deep water bite detection, which is unnecessary for streams or areas.

I don't have any idea what the hell a Mebaru is, lol.

I'm sure I haven't clarified anything for you and that any of these rods can handle any UL baits if we're being honest. I just thought I'd jot it down, anyway.
This is the way.

CM_Stewart
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by CM_Stewart » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:53 am

The Ice Cube is a mebaru rod rather than a stream rod. Mebaru are saltwater fish in the genus sebastes, generally called rock fish (but not the rock fish of the Chesapeake Bay, which is the local name for striped bass).
Chris Stewart
(affiliations: TenkaraBum.com, Finesse-Fishing.com)

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:17 am

CM_Stewart wrote:The Ice Cube is a mebaru rod rather than a stream rod. Mebaru are saltwater fish in the genus sebastes, generally called rock fish (but not the rock fish of the Chesapeake Bay, which is the local name for striped bass).
Ah. I thought they were short sticks.

What baits do they use for Mebaru?
This is the way.

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:07 pm

poisonokie wrote:
CM_Stewart wrote:The Ice Cube is a mebaru rod rather than a stream rod. Mebaru are saltwater fish in the genus sebastes, generally called rock fish (but not the rock fish of the Chesapeake Bay, which is the local name for striped bass).
Ah. I thought they were short sticks.

What baits do they use for Mebaru?
Mebaru rods are for soft plastics......micro plastics. You can get away with small spoons but it is not really designed for that. Mebaru rods are the perfect crappie and bluegill rod.

Regards

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:54 pm

A lot of micro plastics are jigs - meaning used with a jighead. Is not Ajing designed for jigs like that instead for max sensitivity? A bit confused. Or are both Ajing and Mebaru used for jigs? Thanks.

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:37 am

ultralight wrote:A lot of micro plastics are jigs - meaning used with a jighead. Is not Ajing designed for jigs like that instead for max sensitivity? A bit confused. Or are both Ajing and Mebaru used for jigs? Thanks.
They are both designed for jigs....but many ajing rods are so rigid you can get away with some small plugs...spoons.....and so on.

Regards

CM_Stewart
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by CM_Stewart » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:51 am

In many cases, exactly the same jigs and small plastics are used for both. I have jig heads and soft plastics that have pictures of both aji and of mebaru on the package. The rods are different because the fish are different and the way they attack their prey are different. Mebaru are a bit like smaller bass - structure oriented ambush feeders. It is easy to feel the hit. Aji are open water fish that are constantly on the move. They don't hit the jig and stop. They keep swimming, and if they take the jig from behind and keep swimming towards you, it is hard to feel the hit. Ajing rods have to be incredibly sensitive so you can feel those hits.
Chris Stewart
(affiliations: TenkaraBum.com, Finesse-Fishing.com)

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:56 am

CM_Stewart wrote:In many cases, exactly the same jigs and small plastics are used for both. I have jig heads and soft plastics that have pictures of both aji and of mebaru on the package. The rods are different because the fish are different and the way they attack their prey are different. Mebaru are a bit like smaller bass - structure oriented ambush feeders. It is easy to feel the hit. Aji are open water fish that are constantly on the move. They don't hit the jig and stop. They keep swimming, and if they take the jig from behind and keep swimming towards you, it is hard to feel the hit. Ajing rods have to be incredibly sensitive so you can feel those hits.
Oh yes......the “Off bite”.

Regards