Educate me on high end JDM UL.

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Educate me on high end JDM UL.

Post by Craigthor » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:12 am

poisonokie wrote:What about some good ul stream casting rods? I'm looking at the Tenryu Rayz. Any others that are comparable?
If their casting rods are built anything like their spinning rods I don’t think you could go wrong. I have the TenRyu Rays Spectra spinning rod and its perfect in fit and finish.

Patex
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Patex » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:11 am

I had the Graphiteleader Finezza older version but sold it, I was not as crisp as I expected. I own 4 of the Evergreen Salty Sensation (yes you read it right :D ) from their range. I am looking to acquire another 2 versions. I only heard good things about the TIct rods but sticking to Evergreen.

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:34 am

Patex wrote:I had the Graphiteleader Finezza older version but sold it, I was not as crisp as I expected. I own 4 of the Evergreen Salty Sensation (yes you read it right :D ) from their range. I am looking to acquire another 2 versions. I only heard good things about the TIct rods but sticking to Evergreen.
I’m not tied to any brand...I think when you start getting to the 300 dollar mark you’re not going to get a bad rod. I have heard from Allsorts on his opinion of the difference in the range of rods I currently own and the Ever Greens.....Graphite Leader. If you have read any of my posts you know I keep talking about acquiring the Limber Tip, but I have purchased several other rods since and am looking at the Corto and maybe the 2018 Supper Finezza. I also want to try the ABU Garcia Real Finesse Slow Taper Special. I am sure in the end I will get around to the very high end line of rods but still would like opinions of the fishabality of a 600 dollar JDM rod vs a 300 JDM rod. Tict Rods are very nice....however I know they are not “Made in Japan”. I know the only way to find out about the Ever Green and Olympic line of rods is to buy one and see if they outfish a Tict...Yamaga Blanks...TenRyu high end rod. I do know the jump from a 200 dollar JDM rod to the 300 dollar range was huge in all aspects.....just wondering what the 500-600 dollar range brings to the table. Thanks for responding to my post.

Regards

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:21 pm

Yes, the Iron Feather has an extremely soft solid carbon fiber tip indeed. I'm surprised at how wide a lure and line range they advertise. At the higher end of the line/lure range, I assume that the tip is no longer really operational when controlling lures etc as it offers very limited resistance at that level of force. Never fished it though - arm chair theorizing here, for full disclosure.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:13 pm

ultralight wrote:Yes, the Iron Feather has an extremely soft solid carbon fiber tip indeed. I'm surprised at how wide a lure and line range they advertise. At the higher end of the line/lure range, I assume that the tip is no longer really operational when controlling lures etc as it offers very limited resistance at that level of force. Never fished it though - arm chair theorizing here, for full disclosure.
Yeah, that's just like the Tatula 6101mxb megatop rod. It's rated for 3/32 (maybe with an AIR spool) to one full ounce (maybe for strictly vertical bottom contact.) Realistically it's great for casting, pitching, and skipping ~3/16-7/16. Super fun and surprisingly versatile rod, though.
This is the way.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:20 pm

Yeah, I'm gonna have to buy that Tenryu. With the alphas stream custom it will be both gorgeous and a blast to fish. I'll probably have to wait until January though. I hope they're not in danger of going out of production in the next couple of months.
This is the way.

Patex
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Patex » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:05 am

Alphahawk wrote:
Patex wrote:I had the Graphiteleader Finezza older version but sold it, I was not as crisp as I expected. I own 4 of the Evergreen Salty Sensation (yes you read it right :D ) from their range. I am looking to acquire another 2 versions. I only heard good things about the TIct rods but sticking to Evergreen.
I’m not tied to any brand...I think when you start getting to the 300 dollar mark you’re not going to get a bad rod. I have heard from Allsorts on his opinion of the difference in the range of rods I currently own and the Ever Greens.....Graphite Leader. If you have read any of my posts you know I keep talking about acquiring the Limber Tip, but I have purchased several other rods since and am looking at the Corto and maybe the 2018 Supper Finezza. I also want to try the ABU Garcia Real Finesse Slow Taper Special. I am sure in the end I will get around to the very high end line of rods but still would like opinions of the fishabality of a 600 dollar JDM rod vs a 300 JDM rod. Tict Rods are very nice....however I know they are not “Made in Japan”. I know the only way to find out about the Ever Green and Olympic line of rods is to buy one and see if they outfish a Tict...Yamaga Blanks...TenRyu high end rod. I do know the jump from a 200 dollar JDM rod to the 300 dollar range was huge in all aspects.....just wondering what the 500-600 dollar range brings to the table. Thanks for responding to my post.

Regards
I have the EG Limber tip. It's my ultra ultra light dropshot rod. Think of 1.8g weight half an inch lures fishing for small European Perch around 4-8inch fish. As in the name has a very soft tip, I would not recommend for LM bass.

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:39 pm

Patex wrote:
Alphahawk wrote:

Regards
I have the EG Limber tip. It's my ultra ultra light dropshot rod. Think of 1.8g weight half an inch lures fishing for small European Perch around 4-8inch fish. As in the name has a very soft tip, I would not recommend for LM bass.
Thanks for the feedback. Large mouth is one specie I do not target.....did that for so many years and now I just soon they not hit my lure....LOL. The Limber Tip is in my future. Going to really test out the 2018 Corto when it arrives but need an EG rod in my mix. So many rods I am wanting to try I’m going to have to start selling some I have.

Regards

Patex
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Patex » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:42 am

Alphahawk wrote:
Patex wrote:
Alphahawk wrote:

Regards
Thanks for the feedback. Large mouth is one specie I do not target.....did that for so many years and now I just soon they not hit my lure....LOL. The Limber Tip is in my future. Going to really test out the 2018 Corto when it arrives but need an EG rod in my mix. So many rods I am wanting to try I’m going to have to start selling some I have.

Regards
:lol: I agree on so many rods to try. I am sure the Corto will be excellent, Graphiteleader is a very good blank maker, please let us know how you get on with it.

Allsorts
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Allsorts » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:13 am

With apologies to Randy who's seen this elsewhere, here's some preliminary feedback on Graphiteleader Corto Prototype GNCPS-612L-T http://www.olympic-co-ltd.jp/fishing/pr ... prototype/ I got recently. As the code indicates, L power, tubular tip. Designed for fishing Aji jigs on FC or Ester.

My initial response to Randy's request about early impressions was 'words fail me...' After a few hours using mostly 1/24th heads, 3lb FC, Shimano JDM C2000 and getting some spots and a smallie of 16" (adverse bluegill conditions), my initial impressions are:

1. Balance is perfect, weight and it's distribution seem to combine to make the rod seem almost weightless
2. Very sensitive, surprisingly stiff/ fast response but bends nicely on even small fish. At a guess, Randy might prefer the lighter model for bluegill - hollow tip on this model gives a little more usable sensitivity I think...
4. Since I'll be using mine for real Aji & bass, its L rating is perfect for fishing 3lb FC hard. I was striking and pulling fish within the limits of the rod but not babying anything.
5. Build quality, guide spacing , components (Fuji TIC) etc all faultless.
6. Blank has similar construction (butt to mid top section) to Evergreen Inspirare, a helical wrap which adds stiffness and nearly no extra weight. Also Nanoalloy / resin is used, making for a stronger blank.
7. For a $350 dollar rod it's amazing value. The only rods I can compare it with are top end Evergreens - it may make many of the other JDM rods seem quite pedestrian by comparison. Many rods from the Evergreen / Olympic stable have a certain feel (or you could say design DNA) which is distinct in my experience, the Corto Prototype is no exception.

The problem is that I now need a super free spinning reel to make best use of the sensitivity - Daiwa Steez Type 1 is in my sights...

I've got an Evergreen Salty Sensation BB Hitman which is a rod I really like (got smallies up to 18" on it this weekend) and I appreciate that we are comparing an ML with an L but for really light jig work I think the Graphiteleader Corto blank is in a different league. At some point I'll probably need to get an 18 Super Finezza just to top tick my UL collection. After unwrapping and wiggling it I would, like Alexander the Great on the banks of the Indus, weep because there was no better UL rod to buy.... ;)

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:12 pm

I thought I posted this yesterday but do not see it - so hope this is not a double post.

Alphahawk & Allsorts, and others who have high end JDM UL rods, I am curious as to the distribution between guides. How many of your rods use the single post Fuji T-ATSG or T-ATTG guides, and how many use the Fuji high frame double post T-LKTG or T-LKSG guides. Curious as to the percentage of JDM UL rods that use each type of guides in your collection.

And do you have preference for one or the other? (I personally love the look of the single post guides.)

Thanks in advance for any comments. All these discussions here about JDM rods have been most interesting and rekindled an interst to push my rod building further.

Allsorts
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Allsorts » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:07 pm

The TATTG guides seem to be much less common unless the manufacturer is aiming for least weight in guide train and only monofilament lines are to be used. I've used them with braid but the potential for line fouling is present in way the doesn't happen with the K style. So I would favour K style in general unless the aforementioned conitions most critical.

CM_Stewart
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by CM_Stewart » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:44 am

Allsorts and Alphahawk have seen a lot more high end JDM rods than I have, but I have seen the single post guides only on ajing and mebaru rods (and not on all of those). I have not seen any Stream or Area trout rods that have them.
Chris Stewart
(affiliations: TenkaraBum.com, Finesse-Fishing.com)

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:38 pm

ultralight wrote:I thought I posted this yesterday but do not see it - so hope this is not a double post.

Alphahawk & Allsorts, and others who have high end JDM UL rods, I am curious as to the distribution between guides. How many of your rods use the single post Fuji T-ATSG or T-ATTG guides, and how many use the Fuji high frame double post T-LKTG or T-LKSG guides. Curious as to the percentage of JDM UL rods that use each type of guides in your collection.

And do you have preference for one or the other? (I personally love the look of the single post guides.)

Thanks in advance for any comments. All these discussions here about JDM rods have been most interesting and rekindled an interst to push my rod building further.
I favor the K series but I have not had any problems with either type. The only braid I have used is NanoFil and I do not fish it that much. Still needing to get a premium Japanese braid. Here are first impressions of the Corto. If one is looking for an ajing rod it is worth every penny. The price I paid and free shipping makes this my bargain of the year. But be aware this is an extremely rigid rod.

Regards

https://youtu.be/YBC1Xjn5ibo

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:43 am

THANKS everyone for the most interesting discussions. I really have to get back to work.... :lol:

Allsorts, may I ask why you picked a tubular over a solid tip? Your model offers both. The solid tip is a touch ligher in weight. What are the advantages and applications of tubular versus solid tip?

And for you all, a revisit on the four types of rods:

Ajing
Mebaru
Stream
Area

What are the characteristics of each - and can you really tell? If I gave you a JDM UL rod that was built for one o the four, can you identify which one it is immediatly or do they overlap in their characteristics so that the lines are more blurred? My understanding is that Ajing is for jigs and are the fastest of them all. Mebaru are slower action. Area are also slower action and the last powerful and the most limber tip of all. I would assume that Stream is like Area but has more power/stiffer.

OR are the differences also including the guides so that one type use mono/fluor while another type use braided/ester?

But love to hear. This is really quite engaging.

As to guides, given that I am on a quest for the lightest builds possible, I'd love the T guides but I do wish they are taller like the KR-H guides.

Thanks again everyone for a most interesting thread!
Last edited by ultralight on Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.