Educate me on high end JDM UL.

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Educate me on high end JDM UL.

Post by Alphahawk » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:53 pm

I own quite a few high end JDM Ajing......Mebaru rods. The average cost is around the 300 dollar mark. I own 3 “Made in Japan “ Rods. Two from Yamaga Blanks and my latest which is a TenRyu Lunakia 2018. I am curious to know if anyone owns a new 2018 Super Finezza......or any other similar priced JDM UL....how does it fish compared to a Tict high end.....Blue Current TZ.....2018 Lunakia. Once one gets to the 300-350 JDM price range are we splitting hairs to go to the 600 dollar range as far as far as sensitivity, fishability. I would like to know just what the difference would be comparing a 2018 Finezza at around the 600 dollar mark to say the Tict Ice Cube Rockin’ Drift at around the 450 dollar mark. Is the Finezza worth the higher price? Thanks in advance.

Regards

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Educate me on high end JDM UL.

Post by ultralight » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:44 pm

You are probably one of primary authorities here on JDM UL rods.... :D Not sure if there are many who can contribute additional info.

Only one way to find out Alphahawk - buy 'em all.... :lol: (Tongue firmly planted in cheek. :whistle: )

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:19 pm

ultralight wrote:You are probably one of primary authorities here on JDM UL rods.... :D Not sure if there are many who can contribute additional info.

Only one way to find out Alphahawk - buy 'em all.... :lol: (Tongue firmly planted in cheek. :whistle: )
LOL.....I figure someone has a 600 dollar Ajing or Mebaru rod and might chime in. I know the Russians buy I guess tons of Olympic and Ever Green rods. Shoot Olympic and Tict have models for just the Russian market. Don’t know what’s wrong with folks in the USA that aren’t into UL angling not even remotely close to Russia. I’m sure eventually I’ll buy one of those rods just to see for myself but would sure like some info....if AllSorts see’s this he has probably fished those very high end rods. I know the 2018 Lunakia is a very sweet rod and after seeing it I really wonder what the 2018 Super Finezza is like....what another 300 gets you.

Regards

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:04 pm

Alphahawk, while you wait for a response, hope you don't mind my going a bit OT and ask you a question. I know the difference between Ajing and Mebaru rods. (It seems that they say Ajing is better for light jigs though I think more gradual flex is more enjoyable to fight fish.) What is exactly is a 'Stream' and 'Area' rod? Do those terms actually have specific meanings such as 'Ajing' and 'Mebaru' do?

Thanks.

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:17 pm

ultralight wrote:Alphahawk, while you wait for a response, hope you don't mind my going a bit OT and ask you a question. I know the difference between Ajing and Mebaru rods. (It seems that they say Ajing is better for light jigs though I think more gradual flex is more enjoyable to fight fish.) What is exactly is a 'Stream' and 'Area' rod? Do those terms actually have specific meanings such as 'Ajing' and 'Mebaru' do?

Thanks.
Yes they do. An Area Trout Rod is a rod designed to fish the thousands of so called pay lakes in Japan....they are known as “Area”. There is no currnet...no cover. In a river or creek you have current to fight the fish against......thus the term “Stream”. I don’t own any Stream Rods. They are designed to fight fish in current and from my research they have a higher resin...or glass content than Area Rods.....and are generally not as sensitive. I really like a high end Area rod for bluegill.....a lot of fun on a really sensitive rod.

Regards

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:24 pm

Thank you Guru..... :) =D>

Any consistency on the Area or Stream as to whether faster or more more moderate action? (i.e. Ajing type vs Mebaru type action). I found out today that Ajing is more recommended for lightweight jigs. Surprised - did not know that.

ps: & you really want that 55T, 100% carbon fiber rod. Sub 2 oz, 6' 7". A bargain at $300....:)

CM_Stewart
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by CM_Stewart » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:41 am

Stream rods are consistently faster than Area rods. Ajing rods are consistently faster than Stream Rods. Hard to compare Mebaru rods with Stream rods because Stream rods that are the same length as Mebaru rods are designed for substantially larger fish (in current), so they have heavier actions.

Ajing rods are designed for use with small, light jigs because the small jigs with thin plastics mimic what Aji eat.
Chris Stewart
(affiliations: TenkaraBum.com, Finesse-Fishing.com)

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:09 am

ultralight wrote:Thank you Guru..... :) =D>

Any consistency on the Area or Stream as to whether faster or more more moderate action? (i.e. Ajing type vs Mebaru type action). I found out today that Ajing is more recommended for lightweight jigs. Surprised - did not know that.

ps: & you really want that 55T, 100% carbon fiber rod. Sub 2 oz, 6' 7". A bargain at $300....:)
You’re welcome. I’m no guru. AllSorts steered me in the right direction when I started down this road. He seems to have a lot of knowledge with many brands....models....of rods. Yeah I’ll probaly get the rod. Really curious to see if they can make a rod that soft with extreme sensitivity.

Regards

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by earthworm77 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:53 am

Alphahawk wrote:Really curious to see if they can make a rod that soft with extreme sensitivity.

Regards
Those sound like contradictory terms when considering rod building.

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:16 am

earthworm77 wrote:
Alphahawk wrote:Really curious to see if they can make a rod that soft with extreme sensitivity.

Regards
You’re right....it does. But......I have a couple of Major Craft Fine Tail Banshee Area trout rods. One is a SUL and one is an L model. Major Craft does not list its graphite content......but that line up of rods has a pretty high content. The Palms XUL has only an 84 percent graphite content and while I love fishing with it the sensitivity is no where near the Banshee rods but the action and fun factor are about the same on the Banshee SUL and Palms XUL. Daiwa makes a Presso Limited 6’ 6” Area Trout Rod that I suspect the sensitivity is off the charts....but it sells for over 500 bucks. This much I know....I will get the rod, and check it out and give an honest assessment of the rod. My Tict Ice Cube Rockin’ Drift is extremely sensitive and it being a Mebaru rod it is soft...but not as soft as many area trout rods. Just gonna have to try it out.

Regards

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:47 pm

Thanks Alphahawk. Appreciated.

JB in SC
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by JB in SC » Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:39 am

The only rod that I own that I consider higher end is the Daiwa Presso AGS 54XUL-S. It is in the $400 range. Solid tip is very very sensitive with spoons and jigs. I can cast 1.8 gram spoons about as far as I'd care to fish them. It is a beautifully crafted rod, with all the higher end Daiwa features. The reel seat is rock solid and very sensitive. I can see why they are so popular in heavily fished Japanese area lakes, if you miss a hit it's not the rod's fault.

Unfortunately due to some health issues over the last year in our family I've not been able to fish it much at all.

I have fished it several times with 1 gram Ajing jigs for crappie. I could feel every little bump as the jig was retrieved. It is soft, being an Area type rod, but has enough backbone for decent sized fish in lake or pond settings. I did catch one nice black crappie about 2 pounds, while my wife was shopping at Sam's Club :lol: up the road from a local fishing dock.

It is not quite fast or stiff enough to handle a decent sized trout in a high gradient stream. I just ordered a Daiwa Wise Stream 53UL-3 from Chris Stewart at http://www.finesse-fishing.com and am looking forward to seeing how it fishes.

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:21 am

earthworm77 wrote:

Regards
Regarding sensitivity, I think that there are different types of sensitivity and thus, the confusion. For example, some watch a very soft tip where the tip will move ever so slightly without much feel. Others think of sensitivity as what you feel with your finger tips while holding the rod. That's two types of sensitivity - visual and touch.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:10 pm

What about some good ul stream casting rods? I'm looking at the Tenryu Rayz. Any others that are comparable?
This is the way.

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:22 pm

ultralight wrote:
earthworm77 wrote:

Regards
Regarding sensitivity, I think that there are different types of sensitivity and thus, the confusion. For example, some watch a very soft tip where the tip will move ever so slightly without much feel. Others think of sensitivity as what you feel with your finger tips while holding the rod. That's two types of sensitivity - visual and touch.
You know the Phenix Iron Feather falls into that visual catergory. Never owned one but have fished one.

Regards