Finding a "Light" BFS rod???

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Finding a "Light" BFS rod???

Post by poisonokie » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:13 pm

Yeah, they're definitely intended for bass, but that's about as BFS as I get. The L will easily overpower most panfish. They are fun for trout, though I usually go with spinning for that, too. I actually enjoy the chance to use spinning gear for crappie and sunfish since I never use it for bass anymore, aside from my travel rod (got one 7' MH casting and one 7'6" ML spinning Ardito for those trips where a one piece won't do.)
This is the way.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:32 pm

poisonokie wrote:I forgot to mention that the L Volkey with a T3/SV1000 shallow (which is a 12 gram spool)/Hedgehog Air/8# Invizx will cast the hell out of a Duo Rozante 63 jerkbait, which only weighs 3/16. It does respectably well with a 1/16 Keitech mono jig/2" plastic, but I don't think you'd be happy with the distance. I keep the brakes about halfway up and the 3D on maxbrake with stuff like that. I'm sure the Steez spool would outcast it, but without the benefit of 3D brakes, it might be unnerving. I should really test this out. Next Saturday should be a nice day...
Yeah I am ready for Black Friday. Probably only restock from TW though, just don't need anything big at the moment. I could lose a little distance to trade for the right rod. Honestly it isn't completely for bass fishing, really like catching big bream and goggle eye from our river too. Once again, it is really hard to not just call it a done deal and order the St. Croix Avid 6'3"MLxf and a 1000 size Stradic. Still not 100% sure that rod is right for 1/16's w/ tiny plastics though...

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:29 am

Might be on the stiff side for sure. It would be a fun rod, though.
This is the way.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:59 am

Had to rehash this thread because I am about to make an order... I am going to go with one of the new DIY honeycomb looking spools off of Aliexpress for one of my Zillion SV TW's. The rod is my main question though and I am wondering about the Tsurinoya Proflex 2. There is a a 6'3"UL rated for 2-8 grams (right around 1/16-5/16 converted); this is the rod I think will be perfect for 1/16+baby shad, SK Bitsy Minnows, etc.

The other rod that keeps me confused though is the 6'5"ML Tsurinoya Proflex 2, rated for 4 to 15 grams. I figure it is a touch high and BCSG mentioned that these rods are more "fast" than likes of the Kuying Teton series so it might be too stiff for the lures I mentioned.

Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated, not looking forward to ordering blind on this one...

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:42 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:Had to rehash this thread because I am about to make an order... I am going to go with one of the new DIY honeycomb looking spools off of Aliexpress for one of my Zillion SV TW's. The rod is my main question though and I am wondering about the Tsurinoya Proflex 2. There is a a 6'3"UL rated for 2-8 grams (right around 1/16-5/16 converted); this is the rod I think will be perfect for 1/16+baby shad, SK Bitsy Minnows, etc.

The other rod that keeps me confused though is the 6'5"ML Tsurinoya Proflex 2, rated for 4 to 15 grams. I figure it is a touch high and BCSG mentioned that these rods are more "fast" than likes of the Kuying Teton series so it might be too stiff for the lures I mentioned.

Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated, not looking forward to ordering blind on this one...
The light Proflex 2 sounds like a great rod for your intended applications. The solid carbon tip should help to load up and cast the smaller baits. Be sure to find a good seller that sells a lot of the rods. I bought my Elite 1 from a seller with the lowest price but had never sold the rod and didn't have any on hand. He had to place an order with Tsurinoya to get the rod which took forever.

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by earthworm77 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:49 pm

I am a huge fan of Major Craft's 682L Volkey but they don't make it anymore. I think the Speedstyle 682L is a perfect replacement for it. It is a really good BFS rod.
Last edited by earthworm77 on Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:54 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:Was wondering if anyone has used or knows about any BFS rods that or more geared to 1/16 area. Like perfect for crappie fishing on a decent sized river (1/16 plus Baby Shad style plastic or Strike King Bitsy minnow style lures). I just cannot justify a true BFS UL or even the more extreme XUL's I see because so many largemouth and smallmouth love to grab tiny baits. I am sure the fight would be very fun on a rod like that, but I would like a little more power.

Currently my car spinning rod is a 6'Light spinning rod with 6lb Nanobraid and it works great to chunk the mentioned weights/lures. Just would like to modify a reel for BFS where wife and I can both panfish and I don't have to hunt another spinning combo, I think maybe in this instance the BFS setup might be slightly cheaper...

Any links or advice on rod models would be appreciated greatly.
After a couple of outings with it I'd say you absolutely cannot go wrong with a Major Craft MS-X MXC-64UL/BF. It casts a 1/16 jig+baby shad like a dream, but will go down to 1/32+plastic no problem, and obviously 1/8 spoons and hardbaits are no problem at all. It's not a noodle at all, but I've had no trouble landing crappie. Weighs 3.4oz and balances at the handle nut without a reel. It's extremely sensitive and crisp. Shimreels may have one left for $251.

This is the way.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:57 pm

You can also get the 67L Corzza from Majorcraft America in one piece. If the jig heads and plastics you want to throw are similar in weight to a Ned rig then it should work out great provided the 67L Corrza is similar to the 68L Volkey. I use my 68L Volkey for Ned rigs and #5 Shad Raps and it does a great job. Lots of power to get in control of a fish around a dock. Great BFS rod but a panfish rod it is not.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:59 pm

That's almost true of the MS-X UL, too, it's definitely a bass rod, but it'll do crappie.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2994540838

If you're interested in Panfish only, St. Croix and BPS both make 5'6" L casting rods that would fit the bill. They're basically stream bfs sticks.
This is the way.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:17 pm

LowRange wrote:You can also get the 67L Corzza from Majorcraft America in one piece. If the jig heads and plastics you want to throw are similar in weight to a Ned rig then it should work out great provided the 67L Corrza is similar to the 68L Volkey. I use my 68L Volkey for Ned rigs and #5 Shad Raps and it does a great job. Lots of power to get in control of a fish around a dock. Great BFS rod but a panfish rod it is not.
I like those small shad raps. I needed to tell everyone I want to try a cheaper (sub $100) BFS rod first. If I like it, with a Zillion SV TW + BFS spool and a cheap rod then I will buy a true BFS reel and a nicer rod like the $250 mentioned MC rod...

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:29 am

So for now, the Proflex 2 is about to get ordered. I mentioned wrong earlier though, it is a 6'3" UL 2piece rod, rated for 2-8 grams (around 1/16-1/4). So does the faster action compensate or am I about to order a noodle for tiny fish only???

Again, my main concern is throwing 1/16 heads with crappie plastic and SK Bitsy Minnow style lures with enough backbone to handle some big bream or little bass. Very glad so many of you took the BFS leap long before I am even considering it...

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:37 am

DirtyD64 wrote:So for now, the Proflex 2 is about to get ordered. I mentioned wrong earlier though, it is a 6'3" UL 2piece rod, rated for 2-8 grams (around 1/16-1/4). So does the faster action compensate or am I about to order a noodle for tiny fish only???

Again, my main concern is throwing 1/16 heads with crappie plastic and SK Bitsy Minnow style lures with enough backbone to handle some big bream or little bass. Very glad so many of you took the BFS leap long before I am even considering it...
Worst case scenario you pick up a Teton 63UL and use the Proflex for bass UL baits. Both are very cheap.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:45 am

LowRange wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:So for now, the Proflex 2 is about to get ordered. I mentioned wrong earlier though, it is a 6'3" UL 2piece rod, rated for 2-8 grams (around 1/16-1/4). So does the faster action compensate or am I about to order a noodle for tiny fish only???

Worst case scenario you pick up a Teton 63UL and use the Proflex for bass UL baits. Both are very cheap.
Good point. I figure the Proflex should be about right. When I bought the Light spinning rod I use, I had the shop order an UL and Light, that super limber noodle feel just spooks me. Now if I fished 1/32 more often or for stream size fish more I wouldn't be so hesitant. I don't brag much about our White River bass (largemouth), but the bream, goggle eye, etc. get pretty big and are common at that.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:43 pm

Gave up and ordered the 6'3"UL 2 piece Proflex 2. Figured at $60 it is worth a shot. Also ordered the newer honey comb style black 1016 BFS spool.

Had some problems with checking out, wouldn't allow me to use Paypal. Had to split up the order in 2 separate transactions then it was good to go. I figure it has something to do with processing payment to multiple URL/electronic banks.

Well in about 3 years I will tell you all how I like BFS fishing, just kidding Aliexpress isn't that slow...

Thanks again for the help everyone.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:32 am

DirtyD64 wrote:Gave up and ordered the 6'3"UL 2 piece Proflex 2. Figured at $60 it is worth a shot. Also ordered the newer honey comb style black 1016 BFS spool.

Had some problems with checking out, wouldn't allow me to use Paypal. Had to split up the order in 2 separate transactions then it was good to go. I figure it has something to do with processing payment to multiple URL/electronic banks.

Well in about 3 years I will tell you all how I like BFS fishing, just kidding Aliexpress isn't that slow...

Thanks again for the help everyone.
Here's the type of thing that's in store for you:

I'm probably gonna get a Momo honeycomb spool for my T3, put that back on the Volkey 68L, Put the SV Light back on the MS-X 65ML, Put the SS SV 103HL/Steez SV105 on the new MS-X 610M I'm waiting on. I don't know what I'm gonna do with the shallow SV1000 currently in the T3, maybe put it in the Luna 103 I have on my Tat 771mrb-g, but then I don't know what to do with the RCS 1016 spool that came with the T3. Maybe put it in the Ballistic I use for travel and try that on my topwater rod and put the OG Zillion on my Tat 711mhxb worm/jig rod, and take the Zillion SV on it and put it on the other MS-X I'm waiting on, a 70MH... :-k
This is the way.