Spinning Reel

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
prybis
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Spinning Reel

Post by prybis » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:06 pm

Looking at getting a new reel for my custom built rod. Looking at the shimano soare c14+ in the 2000 range. I see they have a couple models in this size. The c2000ss pg and the 2000s hg. These would be 2017 models. Which one would you get or would you go with a different reel? I want to stay under $250 US. Thanks.
Mike P.

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Spinning Reel

Post by earthworm77 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:04 pm

I am a rod and reel snob. Generally I have no issue with dropping the money down for really high quality JDM stuff......the Soare 500 has been the exception to that though.

I just don't think it fish's 200.00 better than the Sahara 500 or the Symetre 750 or the host of 500 series reels Shimano makes.
Now understand, I have several Stellas, a Cardiff 2000SS, 4 Ci4 Stradics and a Soare 2000S HG........if I had to pick another reel for UL, I would opt for a Stradic Ci4 1000FML or a newer Soare 500BB which is 140.00 or so.

The Stradic Ci4 is about the same size as the 2000 and 100.00 less. I think that you'd get the most bang for your buck with it.

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:53 pm

I guess I have become a rod and reel snob also.....although I don’t own any Stella’s....Daiwa Exist. After several purchases of what I would call medium end reels....both Shimano and Daiwa....I will not purchase any reel that is not “made in Japan”. The only made in Japan reel I own from the Shimano line is the Twin Power C2000HGS...it was the model before the latest version out. It is a fantastic reel. I have one 2012 Daiwa Luvias....and 4 2015 Daiwa Luvias and one Daiwa Certate.....and getting ready to order more reels. I’m not hung up on any one brand. The reels that are actually made in Japan are far superior in my opinion than Shimanos or Daiwas that are made in Malaysia....Vietnam.....China....or wherever. I say that because when you once try a made in Japan reel you don’t want to go back to those other lower end reels....at least I don’t. For less than your 250 dollar budget you can get a Daiwa Luvias......for about 20 bucks more you can get a Twin Power. Of course you asked about reels but after getting my first high end UL rod out of Japan I can’t go back to the medium range rods. It is a curse all the way around.

Regards

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:20 pm

Alphahawk, aren't the Luvias made in Thailand or Malaysia? At least the Luvias I have are made in Thailand. They have performed beautifully. Being a bit of a weight weenie, I would like to try the Soare CL4+ 500S but think it is likely overpriced for what it provides. I'm pretty sure that is not made in Japan either. :)

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:41 pm

ultralight wrote:Alphahawk, aren't the Luvias made in Thailand or Malaysia? At least the Luvias I have are made in Thailand. They have performed beautifully. Being a bit of a weight weenie, I would like to try the Soare CL4+ 500S but think it is likely overpriced for what it provides. I'm pretty sure that is not made in Japan either. :)
The Luvias is made in Japan. The 2012 model I own I have intentionally not done any maintenance on for 5 years. I wanted to see how the Mag Seal held up.....I UL fish 3-6 days a week weather permitting. Well the reel is like the day I took it out of the box...although I super tuned it with 2 replacement bearings and added 2 bearings for the knob on the handle. I was so impressed with the 2012 model I ordered the 2015 Luvias and was even more impressed by them. My nephew used to fish Stradic ci4 until he bought 3 of the 2015 Luvias.....now the ci4’s are his guest reels. I will eventually order a Daiwa Exist...but before that will get a new Certate and Twin Power. If you go to Digitaka web page and look at the reels you want to buy they will have the “more pictures” button. All the Daiwa and Shimano reels will show where the are made on the inside of the reel foot. Many Daiwa are made in Vietnam...many Shimanos are out of Malaysia but some are showing up now made in China. I consider the Luvias the best bang for the buck “made in Japan” reel. The Twin Power is also a a great reel but is 50 bucks more than the Luvias.

Regards

prybis
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by prybis » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:40 pm

Thanks for the responses. It looks like I will be getting a Daiwa Luvias. No I need to save a little money.
Mike P.