BFS rod question

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
wirinhar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: BFS rod question

Post by wirinhar » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:41 am

Jagerboy wrote:Thanks for all the info everyone, looks like I have some research to do! I guess I just got used to the advantages of a longer rod during my years fly fishing. I like the extra shock absorption a long rod offers as well as line control. I just dislike fishing with short rods now tbh. Most all of my fishing is done with rods over 7' with 9' being my all around favorite length, even on streams you could jump across. I would be using this setup on larger water than brook trout trickles though. I fish some larger rivers with some mean trout in them lol.
I like a long sensitive rod and I like one pc rod....

If you are in US, You will be so lucky to choose from Gloomis, St. Croix, and Kistler and they are 100% US made rod :)

WW

LuS
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by LuS » Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:20 pm

Any updates on this topic?
Am looking for a bfs rod myself for this kind of stuff - river bass and trout, via jerkbaits and weightless plastics... was looking hard at the 6’3” - 6’8” fast or x fast major crafts would be curious to hear what others have found in this application...
Luca :)

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:13 am

LuS wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:20 pm
Any updates on this topic?
Am looking for a bfs rod myself for this kind of stuff - river bass and trout, via jerkbaits and weightless plastics... was looking hard at the 6’3” - 6’8” fast or x fast major crafts would be curious to hear what others have found in this application...
A lot plays into a BFS rod, especially for rivers. You have current/waterflow that dictates a certain backbone required to work lures and fish with that current. Also, I have been in some river systems that hold huge smallmouth and also some that only hold small smallmouth. I know this equation:

Smallmouth + fast current + stumps/rocks = No time for playing the fish

Weightless plastics can weigh quite a bit too. You may be able to get the Daiwa Tatula AGS MMH Ehler rod. I never used it but, many have in similar situations. If you need/want less power, Phenix makes some.

There are tons of JDM options from say Megabass. The P5 series has a ton of lighter powered rods. Check the Tackle Trap at least for the rod specs and such. Also nice they come with warranty for a JDM rod from there.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

LuS
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by LuS » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:17 am

Thanks @hobie wan-kenobi!
My home river is the credit river here in Mississauga, On - and it’s a bit of a strange case. Relatively wide (80 ft average i guess), mostly shallow, with good current, and with trout, salmon, largemouth bass and pike by my home depending on season. Don’t ask me how, it is what it is. It’s nature changes drastically over its 60 mile run in width, temperature, current and depth, and species change accordingly, with no fish being universal over whole run.
I intend this rod to chase both bass and trout in this river, and maybe see some lake duty on slow days. Given that the average presentation weight is probably gonna be 3/16 oz, occasionally lighter and heavier, and I’m hoping to stay under $200, will look hard at that daiwa; not sure I’m gonna be able to get a P5 tho... (and I say that now, but in 6 months the tackle junky in me will be hunting madly for that p5)...
Luca :)