Custom Build

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
prybis
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Custom Build

Post by prybis » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:29 pm

I read the Extreme Ultralight Article in the June/July 2005 In Fisherman magazine when this first came out. This began my search for pushing the envelope of UL fishing. I went to Tenkara and Fly Fishing. Along the way I bought the blank used in that article, 7'6" 2WT St. Croix 2 piece avid series, purchased from the Rodmakers Shop, which is currently out of business. I had intended to build this into a UL rod myself. Only thing is, I did not want to screw it up.

After years of this blank sitting in the corner and me only using Tenkara and Fly Fishing, I finally got around to getting this rod built. I contacted Jared Taylor of JTaylor Custom Rods to see about building this rod for me. After a couple of months I finally took delivery of the final product. I am truly taken back from the quality work he did on this. It is simple yet elegant.

While I have yet to really test this rod, I am able to cast 1/32 ounce jigs about 50' with a cheaper spinning reel and old worn out braid. I have my work cut out to be able to cast the 1/100 ounce like Bill says he is able to cast in the article.

I am currently awaiting an order of some spoons and other gear to try out on this rod. I will try to keep everyone posted how this turns out.

Went ahead and picked up some 4# nanofil to use with this rod. Took a Shimano Sedona 2000 reel and loaded it with 65 yards of 6# mono then the 150 yards of the 4# nanofil. Armed with some small cranks and a couple of spoons, I headed to the retention ponds.

These small cranks with the nanofil really fly on a cast. Most of these crank baits are 1/16 ounce. I will need to exchange the trebles for single hooks. The ones in the lower right of the pic are 1" mini cranks.

Although I was not out long I did get a few bass and a couple of gills. Since I will be using this rod mostly in ponds, I really need to watch out for the weeds and moss. Keeping fish on these small hooks seem to be a challenge.

This rod will really come into play during the spring when the ponds are not filled in with moss and weeds. The other place it will shine is when I am kayaking the crystal clear strip pits in Greene Sullivan State Forest here in Indiana.

Mike P.
Attachments
IMG_1700.JPG
IMG_1700.JPG (90.29 KiB) Viewed 1939 times
IMG_1699.JPG
IMG_1699.JPG (175.58 KiB) Viewed 1939 times
IMG_1693.JPG
IMG_1693.JPG (224.89 KiB) Viewed 1939 times
IMG_1692.JPG
IMG_1692.JPG (160.36 KiB) Viewed 1939 times
IMG_1690.JPG
IMG_1690.JPG (152.81 KiB) Viewed 1939 times