Let's talk UL crankbaits ...

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Let's talk UL crankbaits ...

Post by uljersey » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:52 pm

It seems like the pool of sub 2" traditional shaped squarebill cranks is slowly shrinking. As far as high end stuff goes, 0.5 Lucky Crafts seem to have pretty much vanished. Not too many manufacturers making downsize squarebills at all it seems.

SK has the Bitsy Minnow, which if you get a good one, can be a very productive little bait. Of course the stock hooks suck, pretty much par for the course for most baits anyhow. Rebel hasn't made a small squarebill in years, but they are still making the Super Teeny Wee R - 1 1/2" long, 1/8 oz but it's not a squarebill. One of my winter projects will be to convert one to a sqarebill. I know Rebels aren't looked upon too fondly by enthusiasts, but from a strictly functional standpoint they're a good bait as far as the design/action goes .... yeah I know the hardware is junk and the paint schemes aren't going to wow anyone, but those issues can be worked around easier than a bait that doesn't run well.

Any thoughts ?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Let's talk UL crankbaits ...

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:56 pm

I've noticed this, as well. I just got a custom UL Immortal casting rod built back in the spring and have an SS Air on it. Since it is specifically for UL crankbaits, I swapped the 6.3 gears from my SS SV 103H into it. Then as I started looking around, I realized that there's a lot less to choose from now vs. the past, at least in all the places I know to look. It has been a little frustrating, though I did manage to locate purchase a small lot of JDM UL and L cranks a few months back. One is actually an ul jointed mouse wake bait with a screw spring on back for adding a plastic worm as a tail.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:39 pm

uljersey wrote:It seems like the pool of sub 2" traditional shaped squarebill cranks is slowly shrinking. As far as high end stuff goes, 0.5 Lucky Crafts seem to have pretty much vanished. Not too many manufacturers making downsize squarebills at all it seems.

SK has the Bitsy Minnow, which if you get a good one, can be a very productive little bait. Of course the stock hooks suck, pretty much par for the course for most baits anyhow. Rebel hasn't made a small squarebill in years, but they are still making the Super Teeny Wee R - 1 1/2" long, 1/8 oz but it's not a squarebill. One of my winter projects will be to convert one to a sqarebill. I know Rebels aren't looked upon too fondly by enthusiasts, but from a strictly functional standpoint they're a good bait as far as the design/action goes .... yeah I know the hardware is junk and the paint schemes aren't going to wow anyone, but those issues can be worked around easier than a bait that doesn't run well.

Any thoughts ?
There is a tiny Ric Clunn crankbait that works well for me. Hooks that come on it are WAY too big though. I have like 3 left, used to fish them from the bank and lose them without worry before realizing they were hard to find. I would shrink the hooks down pretty far and catch countless big bream, goggle eye, etc.

Allsorts
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Allsorts » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:26 am

They aren't cheap but the Megabass Baby Griffon https://kiba.lt/megabass-baby-griffon-en is the right size (<40mm) and a very effective shallow 'squarebill', especially in rivers. Similarly the Jackall Chubby 38F https://www.ottostackleworld.com.au/jac ... 38-shallow is also an excellent option. I caught some big UK river fish with both of these lures - they were noticeably more effective than than the other stuff I was using. I'm trying to think why I haven't used them more for bass? I've seen Chubby knock offs locally so a search on Aliexpress might turn up something similar and much cheaper.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:10 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
uljersey wrote:It seems like the pool of sub 2" traditional shaped squarebill cranks is slowly shrinking. As far as high end stuff goes, 0.5 Lucky Crafts seem to have pretty much vanished. Not too many manufacturers making downsize squarebills at all it seems.

Any thoughts ?
There is a tiny Ric Clunn crankbait that works well for me. Hooks that come on it are WAY too big though. I have like 3 left, used to fish them from the bank and lose them without worry before realizing they were hard to find. I would shrink the hooks down pretty far and catch countless big bream, goggle eye, etc.
Is this it ? The Series 1 size is 1.5" 1/8 oz. Still available ...
https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Luck-E- ... ESTRC.html

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:29 pm

Although more of a Light lure, I found a small Lucky Craft on clearance at Cabelas a couple years ago. Don't remember the model but, it's pretty nice.

SK Bitsy Minnow is a decent option. Readily available in many US retailers, priced well and catch fish.

Rapala UL series are nice. Various colors and depths/sizes. The UL Crank deflects well off cover. The baits run nice and casts effortlessly. These are my all round favorite UL bait.

I picked up some Jackal PaniCra from Japan Tackle for like 4.50 a piece. Super nice baits and amazing stock hooks. Single barbless hooks that are scary sharp.

I replace my stock hooks with single barbless hooks. Still get great hookups and easy to unhook your catch. Also, gets snagged up way less, opening up where you will throw an UL crank.

Here are links to JDM single hooks in the USA:
https://www.finesse-fishing.com/replace ... hooks.html
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:57 pm

uljersey wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:

Any thoughts ?
Is this it ? The Series 1 size is 1.5" 1/8 oz. Still available ...
https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Luck-E- ... ESTRC.html

Think so, I bought mine at Wal-Mart though and they weren't the best colors, but still worked well. The colors I had were Chartreuse/Brown back and a kind of green/bream pattern. I think what you posted is correct and I just didn't think they had that size. I will order some on my next restock and see if those are the right ones.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:29 am

I have never had a problem with the hooks on a Bitsy Minnow. What's wrong with them?

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by earthworm77 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:18 am

John G wrote:I have never had a problem with the hooks on a Bitsy Minnow. What's wrong with them?
They are not exactly high end

ulbc2
Angler
Angler

Post by ulbc2 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:48 am

I just ordered a pair of Tsurugiya Baby Crank. We will see how they work O:)

https://m.pecheur.com/es/es/compra-senu ... 83868.html

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:09 am

earthworm77 wrote:
John G wrote:I have never had a problem with the hooks on a Bitsy Minnow. What's wrong with them?
They are not exactly high end
Maybe so but I don’t remember losing too many fish with them or having any break.

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by earthworm77 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:38 am

My feeling regarding UL fishing especially is that quality begets consistency. I absolutely swap out the hooks on any UL crankbait that isn't a Megabass*, Duo, LC.....JDM. And when I am building my own I prefer to use Gammies or Decoy. It may just be my personal hang up but I don't have issues with hooks from those brands.

*usually

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:05 pm

I find that treble hook removal from the Baby Pop X is a major pia and I am using the small Texas Tackle split ring tool so I can imagine how difficult the Bitsy Minnow would be. It seems like I bend out of shape all of the split rings. I have seen a JDM split ring tool that IIRC, looks like tweezers but I haven’t got around to getting them yet.

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by earthworm77 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:48 am

John G wrote:I find that treble hook removal from the Baby Pop X is a major pia and I am using the small Texas Tackle split ring tool so I can imagine how difficult the Bitsy Minnow would be. It seems like I bend out of shape all of the split rings. I have seen a JDM split ring tool that IIRC, looks like tweezers but I haven’t got around to getting them yet.
A buddy here gifted me one of those tweezer type split ring tools.......I highly recommend it.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:35 am

John G wrote:I find that treble hook removal from the Baby Pop X is a major pia and I am using the small Texas Tackle split ring tool so I can imagine how difficult the Bitsy Minnow would be. It seems like I bend out of shape all of the split rings. I have seen a JDM split ring tool that IIRC, looks like tweezers but I haven’t got around to getting them yet.
Another option that I've found that works well on tiny split rings are these Beadalon split ring pliers. I got mine locally at a craft store but they're available all over the internet for cheap. The tips are tiny enough not to over stretch the rings to the point they won't close up again.