Rod with wrong blank??

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Rod with wrong blank??

Post by Alphahawk » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:20 am

Just got in my new Tict Rockin Finesse 6’ 9” Mebaru rod with the new SIS-S guides...or as Tict has named them on the rod “Sis”. The rod build is what I’ve come to expect with high end JDM UL rods. The issue.....and it is not an issue as I am keeping the rod no matter....is I think I have received a Rockin Finesse rod built on a Rockin Power blank. My first hint of this was because I was expecting the rod to be a little more limber than what it is. The other thing is the rod I received weighs in at 67.3 grams and has a butt of 9mm. Those are the specs for the Rockin Power model. The Rocking Finesse model specs are 63 grams and a butt of 8mm. I’ve weiged and measured every rod I have ever ordered out of Japan.....at least the rods that gave the specs for weight and butt....and they have all been spot on. I was just wondering if others had ever run into a similar situation.

Regards

CM_Stewart
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Rod with wrong blank??

Post by CM_Stewart » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:45 am

Interesting that you finally decided to get the Ice Cube Rockin' Finesse. As you know, I also have one. (Still lightly used, still available.) It weighs 68.45g. No indication on the blank what the guides are. I do not have calipers, but eyeballing against a ruler behind the blank, it appears that the butt is much closer to 9mm than 8 mm.
Chris Stewart
(affiliations: TenkaraBum.com, Finesse-Fishing.com)

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:22 am

CM_Stewart wrote:Interesting that you finally decided to get the Ice Cube Rockin' Finesse. As you know, I also have one. (Still lightly used, still available.) It weighs 68.45g. No indication on the blank what the guides are. I do not have calipers, but eyeballing against a ruler behind the blank, it appears that the butt is much closer to 9mm than 8 mm.

I have no problem buying used but I wanted to see what the new Sic-S guides are about. I’m pretty sure your rod was purchased before June 2018....which is when they started selling the rods with the new guides. You can look on the handle of the rod and tell if it has the new guides. If it does there will be an Sis designation at the end of the model number such as IC-69F Sis. The older rods just had the IC-69F designation. I just find it odd that this rod does not meet their quoted specs. It is very possible they could have just used the Power blank on this rod by mistake.

Regards

CM_Stewart
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by CM_Stewart » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:58 am

It is also quite possible there is an error on their website regarding the Rockin' Finesse specs. I have seen errors on JDM websites before.
Chris Stewart
(affiliations: TenkaraBum.com, Finesse-Fishing.com)

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:17 am

Alphahawk, did you ever figure out whether they used the right blank?

And did you not have another Tict rod already that you reviewed on youtube? Going by memory, it's a Rockin Drift? Of the two, which is stiffer/more power?

Thanks

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:35 am

ultralight wrote:Alphahawk, did you ever figure out whether they used the right blank?

And did you not have another Tict rod already that you reviewed on youtube? Going by memory, it's a Rockin Drift? Of the two, which is stiffer/more power?

Thanks
I informed Digitaka about it just as something they may want to pass on to manufacture but I told them I was happy with the rod and had no complaints......could not return it anyway if I did....LOL. They did reply and say that they will pass on info to the TICT rep. As to the stiffness of the blank. Compared to the Rockin’ Drift it is a slightly more rigid blank. I suspect this is due to the upper section of the Drift is completely solid....compared to the Finesse which just has about 7 inches or so solid tip. Having already caught quite a few crappie on it I am just as impressed with it as I was with the Drift for crappie.....it is just like those rods were designed for crappie. While I really like the Finesse as it is an exceptional rod nothing quite compares to the Drift. It has an uncanny ability to feel what the Japanese call the “off bite”. My next rod is already on the way.....TenRyu 2018 610 Lunakia.....have never owned a rod from TenRyu but understand they make exceptional rods. Still want the EverGreen but the Lunakia intrigued me.

Regards

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:50 am

Thanks Alphahawk,

I think I read somewhere that you thought the Drift was the most sensitive rod you have or something like that. Had no idea that it had a completely SOLID top half. How does it connect to the lower half of rod?

And does it come with TI Torzites?

Thanks again!

ps: By the way, just visited TICT site with the specifications and it does look like you have the wrong blank (or wrong label...:) The Japanese are pretty precise with their specifications.

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:46 pm

ultralight wrote:Thanks Alphahawk,

I think I read somewhere that you thought the Drift was the most sensitive rod you have or something like that. Had no idea that it had a completely SOLID top half. How does it connect to the lower half of rod?

And does it come with TI Torzites?

Thanks again!

ps: By the way, just visited TICT site with the specifications and it does look like you have the wrong blank (or wrong label...:) The Japanese are pretty precise with their specifications.
Yeah the Drift has the ti TZ guides. The ferrule connection is the spigot type. I still think they made the rod with the Power blank......but that’s ok.......I’m very happy with it. I know every rod I have ordered from Japan has been spot on what manufacture has stated for weights and diameter. I don’t know why TICT quit making the Drift. One can still find some on eBay but the price is from 450 to 500 bucks.

Regards