Cast 1/64 with Ald15

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
fffishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Cast 1/64 with Ald15

Post by fffishing » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:23 pm

Hi,a couple month ago we're talked about casting a small weights...so,here I'm fishing with 1/64 total weight of lure.As you see,it's possible. 8-)
https://youtu.be/9ITRHe_C21E

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Cast 1/64 with Ald15

Post by earthworm77 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:54 pm

I have a question regarding your rod, is the guide missing on purpose?
If that is a modification, does that have something to do with being able to cast light weights?

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:42 pm

Physically casting the bait and practical casting is different.

It's a feat to cast a bait that small regardless. Casting that weight in a stream with accuracy is a different story.

I got a 16 Aldebaran BFS with the Avail 16ALD15R spool. That is the bee's knees. Noticeably casts better than the KTF I was using for the lightest stuff. KTF is nice for the "heavier" stuff
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

fffishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fffishing » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:55 pm

earthworm77 wrote:I have a question regarding your rod, is the guide missing on purpose?
If that is a modification, does that have something to do with being able to cast light weights?
Rod is Murai Super Under Zero 1602 (0.3-2.5g)...This rod already able to cast under 1/32...I just change handle and reel seat,and first three guides,-did a spiral.

fffishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fffishing » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:04 pm

ccass wrote:Physically casting the bait and practical casting is different.

It's a feat to cast a bait that small regardless. Casting that weight in a stream with accuracy is a different story.

I got a 16 Aldebaran BFS with the Avail 16ALD15R spool. That is the bee's knees. Noticeably casts better than the KTF I was using for the lightest stuff. KTF is nice for the "heavier" stuff
Thanks! With your staff it's possible to do too! My Ald16+29R spool cast same lures :)
Just try,-put Nanofil 1-2lb (60-70 feet),and you need a good rod!

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:58 pm

fffishing wrote:

Thanks! With your staff it's possible to do too! My Ald16+29R spool cast same lures :)
I use 2lb Nanofil and an XUL trout rod. 4'6". I'll see what the lowest I can cast this week.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:34 pm

ccass wrote:
fffishing wrote:

I use 2lb Nanofil and an XUL trout rod. 4'6". I'll see what the lowest I can cast this week.
I watch your stuff on youtube, didn't remember you using line that light (not sure what all I remember). I thought the Aldebaran had issues with super thin line getting under the spool lip??? I am starting to think a BFS is next. Rod will be an issue though, you all are after sub 1/32 lures, casting a 1/16 with crappie lure is fine for me (more like a "Light" power)...

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:02 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
ccass wrote:
fffishing wrote:

I watch your stuff on youtube, didn't remember you using line that light (not sure what all I remember). I thought the Aldebaran had issues with super thin line getting under the spool lip??? I am starting to think a BFS is next. Rod will be an issue though, you all are after sub 1/32 lures, casting a 1/16 with crappie lure is fine for me (more like a "Light" power)...
I remember the 15 and 12 Aldebaran BFS having that problem to a point where it was annoying. The 16 isn't as bad. I rarely had it happen on the stock spool or the KTF. I don't have enough time with the Avail to have a fair assessment.

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by earthworm77 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:28 pm

One of the issues with Nano, which I use a lot of, is that it is made for use on a spinning reel.
I think it is a completely round line and if there is any type of over run or the drag is set to tight, it will dig into itself.
If it works for you, awesome. I'm not brave enough to try it.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:59 pm

earthworm77 wrote:One of the issues with Nano, which I use a lot of, is that it is made for use on a spinning reel.
I think it is a completely round line and if there is any type of over run or the drag is set to tight, it will dig into itself.
If it works for you, awesome. I'm not brave enough to try it.
I don't have enough on mine to dig in :lol:
I have about 35m plus a 3ft leader

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:41 am

After reading into the Aldebaran reels some I am a bit confused. There is the new Aldebaran MGL, then the Aldebaran BFS XG, then the Aldebaran 50. I know the MGL is newest and most spools mentioned do not apply to it, but for Ccass which combo are you using?

The BFS XG with aftermarket spools? Or the original Aldebaran 50 with aftermarket spools? I understand all of the older models, the year solves that. Concerning the 2016 BFS XG and Aldebaran 50 it gets more confusing when the year model isn't mentioned though.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:22 am

DirtyD64 wrote:After reading into the Aldebaran reels some I am a bit confused. There is the new Aldebaran MGL, then the Aldebaran BFS XG, then the Aldebaran 50. I know the MGL is newest and most spools mentioned do not apply to it, but for Ccass which combo are you using?

The BFS XG with aftermarket spools? Or the original Aldebaran 50 with aftermarket spools? I understand all of the older models, the year solves that. Concerning the 2016 BFS XG and Aldebaran 50 it gets more confusing when the year model isn't mentioned though.
I use the 16 Aldebaran BFS XG with now an Avail 16ALD15 spool (16 being the year and 15 being 1.5mm depth)

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:34 am

Just saw this.

Wh....a.....t?? You can cast 1/64th oz with a casting reel? Wow. So that should cast 1/32 without any problem them. DO you think it will cast a 1/32 as far as a good spinning rig setup with the same line?

Again, just wow. (And don't have to deal with line twist!)

Thanks!
UL

fffishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fffishing » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:21 pm

ultralight wrote:Just saw this.

Wh....a.....t?? You can cast 1/64th oz with a casting reel? Wow. So that should cast 1/32 without any problem them. DO you think it will cast a 1/32 as far as a good spinning rig setup with the same line?

Again, just wow. (And don't have to deal with line twist!)

Thanks!
UL
Sorry,just had seen your post! And,yes,it cast 1/32 without any issues... :D I'm not sure about how far can cast good spinning rig,it's depend of kind of lure usually ...same with line, for spinning soft line is better(if I remember right :) ), and for casting reel I'm using 0.2-0.4 PE (even 0.6,but then it's steal a bit distance of cast) G-Soul Upgrade PE X4.Rod's-Mukai Air-Stick 1602 Super Under Zero(0.3-2.5g)?Gamakatsu Luxxe Hana S54fl-solid(0.1-2.0g) and S60fl-solid(0.1-2.5g). So,with this set-up even Daiwa SS Air in stock easy handle 1/32,and bunch of another reels (include Abu2500 :shock: :lol: ) with microspools of course. I've fishing all this season only using this small staff,and can say now,the rod take more attention abd supposed to be really good on this small weights.
About how far...Compact jig with small plastic(I don't cast piece's of metall,it's not about fishing [-X :) ) total weight 1/16, -31-32 meters,castmaster 1/20,-25-26m, jig+plastic 1/32 -over 20m...I don't make any results, it's all just about possibility of set-up, and not for any competition 8-)
Any way,if any question, I'll be glad to tell what I know. :)
https://youtu.be/c0yp_Z_Rn4g
Here's fishing on 1/20 jig.

Edward78
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Edward78 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:02 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:After reading into the Aldebaran reels some I am a bit confused. There is the new Aldebaran MGL, then the Aldebaran BFS XG, then the Aldebaran 50. I know the MGL is newest and most spools mentioned do not apply to it, but for Ccass which combo are you using?

I use the 16 Aldebaran BFS XG with now an Avail 16ALD15 spool (16 being the year and 15 being 1.5mm depth)
I just got my Avail spool and magnets and my reel only has 6 total magnets , should I just not use the extra 2 ?