Daiwa SS Air vs Daiwa SV Light for BFS

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Daiwa SS Air vs Daiwa SV Light for BFS

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:08 pm

The title says it. What are the pros and cons of these 2 reels. has anyone used both, which casts lighter, which is more controllable, my intended use will be from 1/8 to 3/8 weight range probably on a BONE Voyage 634L BFS rod or a major craft speedstyle 682L BFS, I already have a pixzilla with a rays spool and it is awesome. looking to try something in the 32mm spool size, and see if it is any better the the SS SV I use with a rays spool.
The SS Air or The SV Light are the contenders I have chosen.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Daiwa SS Air vs Daiwa SV Light for BFS

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:35 pm

Both reels will do what you need. The SV Light is a special caster.

The SS AIR will start to get "overwhelmed" wI think heavier weights. The SV Light is more versatile.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:00 pm

The SV Light is what you want if casting 3/8 oz. More line capacity, yet plenty capable of casting your intended range. The spool should also be stronger. The feel of the reel itself will be more similar than not.

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:13 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:The SV Light is what you want if casting 3/8 oz. More line capacity, yet plenty capable of casting your intended range. The spool should also be stronger. The feel of the reel itself will be more similar than not.
I gather the sv light would be more suitable for braid as well. plan on using 6lb braid and fluro leader.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:24 pm

BARRAMANIAC wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:The SV Light is what you want if casting 3/8 oz. More line capacity, yet plenty capable of casting your intended range. The spool should also be stronger. The feel of the reel itself will be more similar than not.
I gather the sv light would be more suitable for braid as well. plan on using 6lb braid and fluro leader.
Yes, that SS Air spool is pretty fragile. Daiwa doesn't recommend braid at all with it. They say it will damage the spool....but I have 15# PP SS8 on mine. I only toss tiny cranks with mine, though, so I maintain a very drag light setting.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:38 pm

I have placed my order . Ended up going with the SV Light from the Plat Summer sale in 6.3:1 ratio right handed. will be matched with a Bone Voyage 634L BFS 4 piece rod.
I already have some bling for it, SS SLP red engine plate , red screws , Steez nose piece , og jdm zillion mag dial (the one with the holes) , steez drive shaft , 85mm SLP carbon handle with red rcs knobs, and a modified zillion line guide ( by elongating the hole for the guide screw the zillion guide will fit in a steez or SS )

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:07 am

I think most would be happier with a normal Daiwa reel of their choosing with a matching DIY spool than they would be with the SS Air. The SV Light, on the other hand, is pretty great from what I've read. Seems you made a good choice.

DaveJ

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:19 am

BARRAMANIAC wrote:I have placed my order . Ended up going with the SV Light from the Plat Summer sale in 6.3:1 ratio right handed. will be matched with a Bone Voyage 634L BFS 4 piece rod.
I already have some bling for it, SS SLP red engine plate , red screws , Steez nose piece , og jdm zillion mag dial (the one with the holes) , steez drive shaft , 85mm SLP carbon handle with red rcs knobs, and a modified zillion line guide ( by elongating the hole for the guide screw the zillion guide will fit in a steez or SS )
Definitely post pictures of this when it's complete!

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:34 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
BARRAMANIAC wrote:I have placed my order . Ended up going with the SV Light from the Plat Summer sale in 6.3:1 ratio right handed. will be matched with a Bone Voyage 634L BFS 4 piece rod.
whats the current photo sharing app to use. I haven't posted any photos since photobucket started charging to use there service.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:37 pm

BARRAMANIAC wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
whats the current photo sharing app to use. I haven't posted any photos since photobucket started charging to use there service.
Just download images via Tackletour. Works well now - super simple

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:45 am

The SV light has arrived and has been pimped
Attachments
IMG_20180913_140838_987.jpg
IMG_20180913_140838_987.jpg (280.54 KiB) Viewed 7510 times

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:57 am

Wish you could do a tutorial/pics of how to elongate and modify the TD-Z line guide. That looks really good on the Steez or SS/SV style body. Also a bit less restrictive than the stock line guide...