Anybody target the Green Trout ?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
gillchaser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Anybody target the Green Trout ?

Post by gillchaser » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:49 am

Anybody Target LM Bass specifically with their Ultralight spinning tackle? My first love is gills , but when I’m having trouble catching the gills , I can usually count on the old green trout to make the trip a success .
I like fishing 3” sticko’s or the front part of a trick worm and either fish it wacky style or Ned style . Both seem to work equally.
I usually use 4# line and a 1/32 or 1/16th jighead to keep the bait from twisting . If I go weightless, I’ll put a ball swivel about 14” in front of the hook .
Went this morning, had 9 hits , two jump releases , one wrapped underwater and broke off , one came unhooked underwater and I managed to bring 5 to be released. Lot of fun in 1 1/2 hours of fishing .
And yes , I use tie dyed shirts as my water camo :-) . Gillchaser

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Anybody target the Green Trout ?

Post by LowRange » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:10 pm

I like throwing 1/8 oz 2" hardbaits like poppers and lipless cranks for green trout on pit ponds when the regular trout won't cooperate or aren't around. Even little dinks can be fun and put a good bend in an UL or L powered rod.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:25 pm

There is a little river I like to wade that is full of big Redbrested sunfish and small smallmouths. I usually just fish a Ned the entire time but a few times a year I bring a UL along instead and throw tiny cranks and worms. I really like little 3" trout worms wacky rigged on like a #6 or #4 circle hook. My favorite thing is to have a sunfish on the line and see a smallie swim up and try to steal the worm from it.

AlgonquinFan
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by AlgonquinFan » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:16 am

Yes, I’ve enjoyed catching some green trout (including this 3 pounder) from the Rideau Canal in Ottawa this summer using 1 ½ inch Berkley power nymphs on 1/16 oz VMC neon moon eye jig heads. Ultralight bassin’ is fun!

AlgonquinFan
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by AlgonquinFan » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:23 am

Have also been fishing the Ottawa River rapids in (you guessed it) Ottawa for ½-2 lb “gold trout” using the same lure combo.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:15 am

There's one lake I fish that has a large variety of fish, it's my #1 UL body of water. Each cast could potentially land you a bass, perch, pickerel, big bluegill, crappie or trout. I guess I target fish instead of species :lol:

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by earthworm77 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:27 am

uljersey wrote:There's one lake I fish that has a large variety of fish, it's my #1 UL body of water. Each cast could potentially land you a bass, perch, pickerel, big bluegill, crappie or trout. I guess I target fish instead of species :lol:

Those toothy ones can steal rare baits. ;)

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:42 pm

earthworm77 wrote:
uljersey wrote:There's one lake I fish that has a large variety of fish, it's my #1 UL body of water. Each cast could potentially land you a bass, perch, pickerel, big bluegill, crappie or trout. I guess I target fish instead of species :lol:

Those toothy ones can steal rare baits. ;)
True dat ](*,)

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by earthworm77 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:56 am

I have you covered.