7'-8' Casting rod?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

7'-8' Casting rod?

Post by 1nutinthewater » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:04 am

Looking for at least a 7' casting rod with L-UL rating up to 1/4 oz. Throwing flies under a bobber with a 6-7' leader.
Love the Loomis 901 in spinning but looking for a comparable casting rod.
Any ideas?
Our tradition is that of the first who sneaked away to the creek when tribe did not really need fish

dhottle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: 7'-8' Casting rod?

Post by dhottle » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:59 am

St Croix Tidemaster Inshore casting rod. Model TIC70LM 7' light power moderate action weighs 3.4oz, lure rating 1/8 to 3/8. I have the previous generation rod with recoil guides in a spinning rod. It's a fun rod to use for smallmouth & steelhead. Listed under saltwater rods on St Croix website.

gillchaser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gillchaser » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:35 pm

dhottle wrote:St Croix Tidemaster Inshore casting rod. Model TIC70LM 7' light power moderate action weighs 3.4oz, lure rating 1/8 to 3/8. I have the previous generation rod with recoil guides in a spinning rod. It's a fun rod to use for smallmouth & steelhead. Listed under saltwater rods on St Croix website.
Thanks , wish I’d seen this rod before I just ordered 5’6” St Croix Premier casting with the pistol grip . Although I would prefer a shorter rod than the 7’ light Inshore , I think that rod would be a lot of fun to fish with .
It’s on my list for next month . Gillchaser

gillchaser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gillchaser » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:49 pm

Got to searching around found out St Croix builds this rod in their Mojo Inshore Rods . MIC70LM .
St. Croix Model MIC70LM
Length 7' / Sections 1
Power L / Action Moderate
Line weight 6 - 12
Lure Weight 1/16 - 3/8
$120 . Gillchaser

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:20 pm

I use a Kuying Leadership 7'6" L rated 1/16 - 1/4 oz. It is a sea bass rod but it fishes like a really long BFS stick.

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:21 pm

LowRange wrote:I use a Kuying Leadership 7'6" L rated 1/16 - 1/4 oz. It is a sea bass rod but it fishes like a really long BFS stick.
Thank you! Just ordered this rod. Absolutely love the Kuying Teton i purchased earlier this year and hope this one is similar just longer.
Our tradition is that of the first who sneaked away to the creek when tribe did not really need fish

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:33 pm

1nutinthewater wrote:
LowRange wrote:I use a Kuying Leadership 7'6" L rated 1/16 - 1/4 oz. It is a sea bass rod but it fishes like a really long BFS stick.
Thank you! Just ordered this rod. Absolutely love the Kuying Teton i purchased earlier this year and hope this one is similar just longer.
It will be a little stiffer than the Teton and have way more backbone. It fishes in between a Volkey UL and Volkey L but crazy long. I use mine to hurl small baits from the bank on small pit ponds.

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:48 pm

Never tried the Volkeys but did try a couple of the Corzza Ultra Light rods and they are way to stiff for my liking. They are rated up to 1/4 oz but feel close to the Loomis 9000 IMX which I use for steel head!

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:24 pm

The Corrza and Volkey UL are UL BFS sticks which mean that they are not actually UL rods at all. They have too much back bone and stiffness but those are desirable traits in a bass rod throwing tiny jigs and plastics around cover. The Teton L is a light powered trout rod meaning that is basically an UL rod by every definition of the word. Confused yet? The Leadership L will be closer to a Majorcraft UL BFS taper than the Teton but due to its length it does load up and cast light stuff well and will fish like a longer beefier Teton that is a 1/2 power higher than the 662L Teton.

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:18 am

LowRange wrote:The Corrza and Volkey UL are UL BFS sticks which mean that they are not actually UL rods at all. They have too much back bone and stiffness but those are desirable traits in a bass rod throwing tiny jigs and plastics around cover. The Teton L is a light powered trout rod meaning that is basically an UL rod by every definition of the word. Confused yet? The Leadership L will be closer to a Majorcraft UL BFS taper than the Teton but due to its length it does load up and cast light stuff well and will fish like a longer beefier Teton that is a 1/2 power higher than the 662L Teton.
Yes confused!
Sooooooo in the future how would I avoid the stiffer bass rods and find true ul trout rods? I have plenty of bass rods and really have no interest in fishing for bass....... ](*,)

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:52 pm

1nutinthewater wrote:
LowRange wrote:The Corrza and Volkey UL are UL BFS sticks which mean that they are not actually UL rods at all. They have too much back bone and stiffness but those are desirable traits in a bass rod throwing tiny jigs and plastics around cover. The Teton L is a light powered trout rod meaning that is basically an UL rod by every definition of the word. Confused yet? The Leadership L will be closer to a Majorcraft UL BFS taper than the Teton but due to its length it does load up and cast light stuff well and will fish like a longer beefier Teton that is a 1/2 power higher than the 662L Teton.
Yes confused!
Sooooooo in the future how would I avoid the stiffer bass rods and find true ul trout rods? I have plenty of bass rods and really have no interest in fishing for bass....... ](*,)

Yes. Anything BFS is going to be geared towards targeting bass. These rods often have backbone approaching that of a M powered rod with soft tips to cast small jigs and plastics.

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:37 am

LowRange wrote:
1nutinthewater wrote:
Yes confused!

Yes. Anything BFS is going to be geared towards targeting bass. These rods often have backbone approaching that of a M powered rod with soft tips to cast small jigs and plastics.
Which is way much to rod for trout fishing! Thanks for the help- I am slowly learning!

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:42 pm

Nobody has any experience with an UL 7' CASTING rod?
I cannot be the only one looking to throw a bobber/fly combo using a 6'-7' leader :shock:

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:50 pm

1nutinthewater wrote:Nobody has any experience with an UL 7' CASTING rod?
I cannot be the only one looking to throw a bobber/fly combo using a 6'-7' leader :shock:
How heavy will this bobber be? Is it something the 662L Teton can handle? If so then the Leadership should cast it as well. My Leadership 762L can handle just about anything my 662L Teton can throw.

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:16 am

1/8-1/4 oz bobber
I use 6# Fireline ulta , 4# leader # 10 wooly bugger, one tiny split shot.
Yes, the Teton would work fine for this if it was just longer. Looking forward to the arrival of the new rod.....