Slimed my new rod this morning

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
gillchaser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Slimed my new rod this morning

Post by gillchaser » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:54 am

I took my new 8’ Berkley Trout Rod UL to the town pond this morning. I paired it with a Daiwa Laguna 2500 , with 4# Silverthread , thinking the extra weight would balance the rod .
I fished about an hour with hair and feather jigs under a float without a nibble . Although the rod performed great . With the weighted float I could make some long casts and cover a lot of water .
Then I broke out the soft plastics . First a 1” curlytail , under the float , but without any takers . I pulled the float but was having a problem getting any distance at all .
I walked back to my truck and swapped out the reel for a Shimano Sahara 500 loaded with 2# P-Line . To my surprise, because of the rods long butt section , the combo balanced just in front of the reel seat . Not bad for for a light reel , long rod combo. With this I was able to cast my normal 50-60 feet with the 1/64 Trout Magnet jighead and now I’d switched to a bison trout magnet body .
Don’t know if it was the line change or the bait or both , but in the next twenty minutes I caught three small lm bas , which is good for the Town pond lately . Here’s the biggest one . Gillchaser