Hot weather and Trout Magnets

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
gillchaser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Hot weather and Trout Magnets

Post by gillchaser » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:56 pm

Got up into the 90’s today . Hard to find a shady spot to fish .
Got to throw some Trout Magnets for two to three hours today . 6’ Daiwa Procyon UL with a Shimano Sahara 500 and 2# P-Line .
I spent Almost an hour fishing Big Lazer PFA that gave up four , three gillls and one small warmouth .
Then when I got home I spent just under two hours at our town pond and caught two gills and a small bass . Tough bank fishing this time of the year . Kirby

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hot weather and Trout Magnets

Post by Cal » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:05 pm

=D>
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

gillchaser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gillchaser » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:37 am

Broke out my black 7’ Daiwa Procyon UL . Paired with a Shimano Symetre 500 with 2# Visious . Paid a visit to a friends property who lives on a nice size pond . The only problem is he has about 200 feet of shore located in the shallow upper end of the pond . Though I might catch a couple gills , but decent size crappie and hooked a jack (chain pickerel) . The jack I got all the way in , but he flopped and cut or broke my line as I was trying to slide him up a sloped bank to get a hand on him .
Fished for over an hour , until I lost my shade , and never got another bite . Gillchaser

jigmaster5
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jigmaster5 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:47 pm

Nice reports! Thx! :D

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:57 pm

Do you fish those things with a float or just the head and plastic? Because of the pickerel issues you mentioned I can never make myself go below 4-6lb mono, but have yet to find a rod that will cast just the head/plastic very well with such "heavy" line.

gillchaser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gillchaser » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:14 pm

Houndfish wrote:Do you fish those things with a float or just the head and plastic? Because of the pickerel issues you mentioned I can never make myself go below 4-6lb mono, but have yet to find a rod that will cast just the head/plastic very well with such "heavy" line.
Most of the time I fish them without a float . That’s one reason for the 2# line . Most of my rods. Even the five footers will cast the jig/plastic 50-60 feet . Sometimes more with a good wind :) .
With the pickerel , it just happened . I’ve had them cut 6# . I was lucky to get this one to the bank . If I’d had a net , I would have landed it . It’s alright , I got the fight out of him , and 99% of my catches are released . Gillchaser