Trout casting rod.

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Isaiah20
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Trout casting rod.

Post by Isaiah20 » Thu May 31, 2018 10:20 am

After being absent from the BFS scene for a little bit, and going down a different rabbit hole. Fiberglass fly rods. I am looking for opinions on some shorter trout rods that you can get from Chris at finesse fishing. I am wondering if any of you are fishing the Daiwa Pureliust 52ulB, or any of the other rods available from him. My SS Air needs a true trout friend.

Thanks
Isaiah

spoonplugger1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Trout casting rod.

Post by spoonplugger1 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:06 pm

Short trout rods leave a lot to be desired. Long rods drift bait more naturally and deeper in a river, or stream. They also cast further and easier, lastly any fish you catch will feel larger and be therefore more fun to catch on a long rod. The only time I would think a short rod is an advantage is on small, brushy streams.

sin
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by sin » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:25 am

I've been using a few rods from finesse fishing. Shimano Trout One NS paired with a Shimano Aldebaran BFS XG, ktf spool, 10 lbs suffix 832 braid and 5lb fluoro leader. This little short rods are great, I can cast a 2.5g spoon 40-50 feet, that's plenty of distance to cover most body of water. I hooked on to a catfish the other night, fought it for about 5 minutes, then the hook popped off. Immediately after I lost that fish, I hooked onto a larger fish, it almost spooled my 50 yards capacity, I had to break it off. It felt like a baby sturgeon. I was limited by line capacity, wish I could have seen it surfaced.

My favorite set up has to be Daiwa Wise Stream 45ULB-3. It's paired with a Shimano Aldebaran BFS XG, ktf spool, spooled with 5lb troutist darkess. I had it dial down to where it feels like I could cast it further than the Shimano Trout One NS. I use it for trout, bass, panfish.

These shorter rods is a lot more accurate in my opinion.

My rod list:

Major Craft Speedstyle, Corzza, Go Emotion
Abu Garcia Salty Stage
Shimano Trout One NS
Daiwa Wise Stream.

All of these are ultra light casting rods. Hands down, I'd fish with my Wise Stream most of the time. The 3 piece makes it very easy to pack.

rajiv97
Angler
Angler

Post by rajiv97 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:19 am

sin wrote:I've been using a few rods from finesse fishing. Shimano Trout One NS paired with a Shimano Aldebaran BFS XG, ktf spool, 10 lbs suffix 832 braid and 5lb fluoro leader. This little short rods are great, I can cast a 2.5g spoon 40-50 feet, that's plenty of distance to cover most body of water. I hooked on to a catfish the other night, fought it for about 5 minutes, then the hook popped off. Immediately after I lost that fish, I hooked onto a larger fish, it almost spooled my 50 yards capacity, I had to break it off. It felt like a baby sturgeon. I was limited by line capacity, wish I could have seen it surfaced.

My favorite set up has to be Daiwa Wise Stream 45ULB-3. It's paired with a Shimano Aldebaran BFS XG, ktf spool, spooled with 5lb troutist darkess. I had it dial down to where it feels like I could cast it further than the Shimano Trout One NS. I use it for trout, bass, panfish.

My rod list:

Abu Garcia Salty Stage
Shimano Trout One NS
Daiwa Wise Stream.

All of these are ultra light casting rods. Hands down, I'd fish with my Wise Stream most of the time. The 3 piece makes it very easy to pack.
sin wrote:I've been using a few rods from finesse fishing. Shimano Trout One NS paired with a Shimano Aldebaran BFS XG, ktf spool, 10 lbs suffix 832 braid and 5lb fluoro leader. This little short rods are great, I can cast a 2.5g spoon 40-50 feet, that's plenty of distance to cover most body of water. I hooked on to a catfish the other night, fought it for about 5 minutes, then the hook popped off. Immediately after I lost that fish, I hooked onto a larger fish, it almost spooled my 50 yards capacity, I had to break it off. It felt like a baby sturgeon. I was limited by line capacity, wish I could have seen it surfaced.

My rod list:

Abu Garcia Salty Stage
Shimano Trout One NS
Daiwa Wise Stream.

How’s the speedstyle? I recently got an Aldebaran bfs and was planning to pair it up with a speedstlye UL. Mainly use lures 3-7g with the occasional 2g lure.

sin
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by sin » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:27 pm

rajiv97 wrote: How’s the speedstyle? I recently got an Aldebaran bfs and was planning to pair it up with a speedstlye UL. Mainly use lures 3-7g with the occasional 2g lure.
All my major craft rods feels like it's not true to its power rating. The ultralight fishes more like a light action, it's pretty stiff, definitely not for lighter lures. I couldn't cast 1/32 jig head with a grub with it accurately or get any real distance on it. It's mostly backlash when I try lighter stuff. Even though the rod is rated for 1/32-1/4 oz, feels more like 1/12 oz to 1/4 oz.

I'd get something else if you plan to fish 2g or under with it. It's more like a bass rod; kind of stiff, fast action. Personally, I'd fish 2.5g-4g with it in larger body of water like lake or big river with fast current.

But now that I own a few trout rods, I prefer it over the major crafts that I own. Just personal preference.

rajiv97
Angler
Angler

Post by rajiv97 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:05 am

sin wrote:
rajiv97 wrote: How’s the speedstyle? I recently got an Aldebaran bfs and was planning to pair it up with a speedstlye UL. Mainly use lures 3-7g with the occasional 2g lure.
All my major craft rods feels like it's not true to its power rating. The ultralight fishes more like a light action, it's pretty stiff, definitely not for lighter lures. I couldn't cast 1/32 jig head with a grub with it accurately or get any real distance on it. It's mostly backlash when I try lighter stuff. Even though the rod is rated for 1/32-1/4 oz, feels more like 1/12 oz to 1/4 oz.

I'd get something else if you plan to fish 2g or under with it. It's more like a bass rod; kind of stiff, fast action. Personally, I'd fish 2.5g-4g with it in larger body of water like lake or big river with fast current.

But now that I own a few trout rods, I prefer it over the major crafts that I own. Just personal preference.
Thank you very much for your input! :lol:

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:56 am

The Major Crafts that I own are quite different from each other. My Volkeys are illsuited for trout fishing, but Finetail 542UL and N-One 782BF have a moderate action and are great for trout and small small stream fishing.

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:45 am

Recently purchased two of the Major Craft Corzza rods for trout. The UL & L. Way to stiff for me although rated for a max of 1/4 oz. The entire transaction with Major Craft was a fiasco and i would never order from them again. 3 months later I am still waiting for a refund of my shipping coast.......
2 RODS FOR SALE CHEAP!
Our tradition is that of the first who sneaked away to the creek when tribe did not really need fish

sin
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by sin » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:05 pm

Dalleinf wrote:The Major Crafts that I own are quite different from each other. My Volkeys are illsuited for trout fishing, but Finetail 542UL and N-One 782BF have a moderate action and are great for trout and small small stream fishing.
Major Craft Speedstyle, Volkey, and Corzza are pretty stiff. They have a trout series, which I don't own. But I imagine it's like any other trout rod with moderate action and bendy. I like their rod, but each type of rod have their uses.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:11 pm

sin wrote:
Dalleinf wrote:The Major Crafts that I own are quite different from each other. My Volkeys are illsuited for trout fishing, but Finetail 542UL and N-One 782BF have a moderate action and are great for trout and small small stream fishing.
Major Craft Speedstyle, Volkey, and Corzza are pretty stiff. They have a trout series, which I don't own. But I imagine it's like any other trout rod with moderate action and bendy. I like their rod, but each type of rod have their uses.
Yes, the Finetail is their trout series. It is quite nice, however, I often need more length and go for my N-one or even longer rods. The N-one is meant for inshore saltwater fishing, or so I believe, but it has an action similar to a trout rod.

fffishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fffishing » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:32 pm

Isaiah20 wrote:After being absent from the BFS scene for a little bit, and going down a different rabbit hole. Fiberglass fly rods. I am looking for opinions on some shorter trout rods that you can get from Chris at finesse fishing. I am wondering if any of you are fishing the Daiwa Pureliust 52ulB, or any of the other rods available from him. My SS Air needs a true trout friend.

Thanks
Isaiah
What kind of lure you're looking for use? And weight?

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:20 am

I recently sold a Daiwa Silver Creek AGS 52LB Trout Rod. it has been passed around a few times on Tackle Tour and through Facebook. I have had a Shimano 16 Aldebaran BFS XG and a Silver Mica Pixy mounted on it and I used it for throwing Bitsy Minnows for whatever took the bait. I caught a big ass Tilapia and a really nice Largemouth on it......both on a Bitsy Minnow. I only sold it to help fund the upcoming holidays and casting/fishing from the bank in Florida with that short of a rod was actually quite fun and surprisingly, I cold be very accurate with it.

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by earthworm77 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:22 am

Trout rods......not my preferred cup of tea as I like the BFS stuff but I do own one.

I have a Kuying Teton trout baitcaster. It is a decent little cranking rod for tiny stuff. That said, I am throwing Lucky Craft RC .5's on my BFS Volkey's with ease and those baits are about 1/4oz.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:36 am

earthworm77 wrote:Trout rods......not my preferred cup of tea as I like the BFS stuff but I do own one.

I have a Kuying Teton trout baitcaster. It is a decent little cranking rod for tiny stuff. That said, I am throwing Lucky Craft RC .5's on my BFS Volkey's with ease and those baits are about 1/4oz.
I miss those MC rods! But I'm glad you got them, because I know you use and appreciate them.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

southpaw619
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by southpaw619 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:34 pm

I started with trout rods but now only own a SUL for .5 gram range. For me I found I can cast 1 gram and up easier on a bass taper bfs rod. I use either UL or L rated rods that are rated down to 1.5 g and max at 7 or 10 g. The rods are in the 6 foot range and the extra length really helps with distance compared to a trout rod.