New major craft rod.

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Finesse Angler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

New major craft rod.

Post by Finesse Angler » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:04 am

So just got my second major craft rod. Previously purchased an msx 6’5” L and just got a speedstyle 6’4” ul. Gonna be perfect for some soft plastics. I’ll update on how it is after I get to fish it. :big grin: :big grin:

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: New major craft rod.

Post by Houndfish » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:53 am

I would love to hear about the Speedstyle, so many of the MC rods have nearly identical ratings and it's hard to guess how they fish in relation to eachother.

Finesse Angler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: New major craft rod.

Post by Finesse Angler » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:03 am

Sorry for so long between post, took forever finding time to get on the water. The rod fishies really well and is pretty crisp in feel. It cast its weight rating really well for an UL rod and actually fits its weight rating better than my L rated MSX. It’s not as sensitive as an MSX but I haven’t used braid with it yet so I can’t say 100%. I can say the action is a little slower than that of the MSX and reminds me somewhat of a St. Croix Premiere rod. Still on the faster side though. It loads nicely and I find I can cast lures like pointer 48s a bit farther than with cheaper UL Rods. Fighting fish with it is nice too. It’s got plenty of power in it to control some decent sized bass and the occasional predatory catfish. Overall it’s a great rod for anything from sunfish to bass. The reel seat is very comfortable although like with most upward locking seats it tends to need to be retightened periodically. The only thing is didn’t do well for me was soft plastics that don’t have much resistance like A 2” swimbait I used. If it’s got enough weight to it or enough water resistance it feels great but got under 1/16oz you lose some feeling.