Daiwa Tatula Lt

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Daiwa Tatula Lt

Post by 1nutinthewater » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:00 pm

Anyone using the new Lt for light weight gear?
Time for a new trout reel and thinking about 1000.
Our tradition is that of the first who sneaked away to the creek when tribe did not really need fish

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Daiwa Tatula Lt

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:16 am

1nutinthewater wrote:Anyone using the new Lt for light weight gear?
How light? I NEVER got a chance to handle the Tatula LT in 1000 size, from the capacity it is more like a "20" size versus a 1000 Stradic or other comparable sizes. I haven't even really seen many size videos for the 1000, but I am sure it is great. As soon as my Revo STX20 goes out I plan on adding the LT1000 to a 6'Light rod with 6lb Sufix Nanobraid. Was seconds away from ordering one, but instead replaced the Revo on my ML with a 2500 Stradic and decided to use the STX20 (revo) for panfish.

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:43 am

Throwing 1/4 hardware and small bobber/fly.
Done with Stradics- Have a larger Ballistic that is nice but wanting to try the Tatula if I hear enough good reviews,
Our tradition is that of the first who sneaked away to the creek when tribe did not really need fish

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:06 am

I have a tatula 2000 on a 5' loomis ultralight imx
It's lighter than a 1000 ultegra

The 1000 looks to havea smaller spool and possibly a little smaller rotor.

At 6 ounces i'd go 2k and it'll manage line a bit better and can be used for more than ultralight.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:08 am

1nutinthewater wrote:Throwing 1/4 hardware and small bobber/fly.
Done with Stradics- Have a larger Ballistic that is nice but wanting to try the Tatula if I hear enough good reviews,
If you like how the ballistic works...you'll like the feel of the tatula better....The seals of the ballistic do add a bit of resistance...albeit slight..but it's there.
Tatula has no seals so it spins a bit lighter

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:19 am

Tatula 1000LT on the way! Will pair it with a G Loomis 842 GLX and take it for a test drive soon.

Winstondry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Winstondry » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:44 pm

While not used it for trout, I do have a TALT1000D-XH that I picked up new a couple weeks ago. I've used it a couple times in the last week or so, and I have to say, I'm not that impressed with it. Granted, my comparison is to the '15 Daiwa Exist 1025 and 2510 but it just feels kind of cheap in my hands. I prefer my old Sustain 2500FG over it and yes, it may be an apples to oranges comparison, but I'm just not feeling it. I'm mostly a Shimano guy but when it comes to spinning reels, I prefer Daiwa over Shimano with the Tatula being the exception. It's a little lighter than the 2510 but also feels very much like plastic to me.

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:38 am

Reel arrived and spooled it up with 6# Suffix Elite.
After a few dozen casts in the field- Yes I mean literally in my field as I has not fished the reel yet-

The reel is very light and certainly does feel very plastic like as it is mostly Zaion. Retrieval is quite smooth but the reel has a pronounced feeling of something rubbing that can also be heard while reeling in very quickly.

The local opening trout opener is coming up this weekend so I hope to put it through the reel test on some fat native trout.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:36 pm

Winstondry wrote:
While not used it for trout, I do have a TALT1000D-XH that I picked up new a couple weeks ago. I've used it a couple times in the last week or so, and I have to say, I'm not that impressed with it. Granted, my comparison is to the '15 Daiwa Exist 1025 and 2510 but it just feels kind of cheap in my hands. I prefer my old Sustain 2500FG over it and yes, it may be an apples to oranges comparison, but I'm just not feeling it. I'm mostly a Shimano guy but when it comes to spinning reels, I prefer Daiwa over Shimano with the Tatula being the exception. It's a little lighter than the 2510 but also feels very much like plastic to me.
There was a 1000 at at a local shop....he handed it to me saying how great it is.
My 2000 felt much better than the one that sat perched on the box.
So the the whole mass produced thing does fit in.

I came from stellas.....I like the feel of them and don't find them to be the "plasticy" type feel that people like to throw around.

rocketsurgeon
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by rocketsurgeon » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:48 am

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Winstondry wrote:
There was a 1000 at at a local shop....he handed it to me saying how great it is.
My 2000 felt much better than the one that sat perched on the box.
So the the whole mass produced thing does fit in.

I came from stellas.....I like the feel of them and don't find them to be the "plasticy" type feel that people like to throw around.
I have the Tatula LT4000 that will be going on a light weight surf set up that has yet to be fished. Straight out of the box it felt a little tight but after spooling it up with 14lb Suffix nanobraid under drag it feels smoother. Hoping that under pressure with a fish the reel gets even more buttery.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:03 am

rocketsurgeon wrote:but after spooling it up with 14lb Suffix nanobraid under drag it feels smoother.
Curious, how much 14lb nanobraid did the 4k LT take?

rocketsurgeon
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by rocketsurgeon » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:10 pm

reason162 wrote:
rocketsurgeon wrote:but after spooling it up with 14lb Suffix nanobraid under drag it feels smoother.
Curious, how much 14lb nanobraid did the 4k LT take?
It took 150yds of the aqua green color, went to just below the the transition area on the spool lip. No backing, just a couple of wraps of teflon plumbers tape around the spool. Will see how it casts once the Kuying Pirate rod gets here from China.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:26 pm

rocketsurgeon wrote:It took 150yds of the aqua green color, went to just below the the transition area on the spool lip. No backing, just a couple of wraps of teflon plumbers tape around the spool.
Thanks for responding, I just picked up a 4k and had the shop put on 100 yards of 10lb mono backing...time to strip 3/4 of it off, I'm looking to spool 15lb j braid to the lip!

rocketsurgeon
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by rocketsurgeon » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:52 pm

reason162 wrote:
rocketsurgeon wrote:It took 150yds of the aqua green color, went to just below the the transition area on the spool lip. No backing, just a couple of wraps of teflon plumbers tape around the spool.
Thanks for responding, I just picked up a 4k and had the shop put on 100 yards of 10lb mono backing...time to strip 3/4 of it off, I'm looking to spool 15lb j braid to the lip!
Yeah, all of my older 4000 series Daiwas can hold 300yds of 30lb Power Pro. We'll see how this does as an ultralight surf setup.

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:26 pm

Fished the reel hard over the last 4 days- compared to the Ballistic and stradic that were also along for he trip I am disappointed in the tatula. The others are much smoother. I may tear into it for a clean and lube or just sell it.