Prototype topwater bait

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Prototype topwater bait

Post by uljersey » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:34 pm

Been messing around with this starting last season, never really got a chance to throw it but I'll give it some time this year.

Cork core wrapped around a small thin wire Aberdeen hook and sealed with epoxy on the ends. The body is a Strike King Bitsy tube with the head trimmed off. I was going for a 'popping bug' type of action. I was inspired by the cork sunfish flies I've seen fly fisherman use.

I'm thinking dusk in the warm months is when this would work best.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Prototype topwater bait

Post by adam lancia » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:02 am

Sweet idea! What diameter is the cork core?

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:21 am

adam lancia wrote:Sweet idea! What diameter is the cork core?
I get the corks at the hobby/craft store. They're tapered, I even them out by screwing them onto a rotary tool mandrel and turning them at high speed against a small file to get rid of the taper to achieve a uniform cylinder shape down to around 1/4" to 5/16" diameter - size will vary depending on what type bait you're using. I then bore a hole all the way through the center and carefully work the hook (eye first) through the cork. I forgot to note that I add shrink tube to the cork - this protects the cork and gives a slick surface which makes rigging the bait body go a little easier. I then seal the exposed ends with epoxy. I'm going to experiment with threading single strands of skirt material through the sides of the bait body to mimic legs/appendages to try and get a spider like profile. The possibilities are endless.

waterone
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by waterone » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:53 pm

Kinda like a soft bodied Hula Popper?

I wonder for durabilities sake, if ZMan produces a tube bait?
I don’t much like ZMan lures as in the past they’ve been problematic with some of my other lures, melting other soft plastics, and,even in several cases melting the finishes on some old Vintage lures that I still use.

One of the problems with the Hula Popper is that finding the really active and “wriggly” replacement skirts is impossible. A couple years back I even called whatever conglomerate now own Arbogast, was told they didn’t sell the replacment rubber skirts, I had to buy a whole lure! But the guy I spoke with said that he would send me some replacements they had “laying around”. Never got them.

Anyway, your idea sounds intriguing.

Always loved top water, even with UL lures. My biggest three have been a 5+ largemouth on a 3/16 Hula Popper, a 5lb. Chain Pickerel and a 10 +/- channel cat, both on custom 1/8 Rebel Pop-R’s. Oh yeah, I’ve caught a top on old 1/8 oz. Heddon Poppers.

However, if your wanting to relax while fishing, until you get a heart stopping take, fish a top water with “wriggly” legs like your invention, IMO.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:05 am

Z Man does make a 2 3/4" tube, but like you mentioned their baits don't play well with others ... they have to be kept isolated or they will wreak havoc on other baits. They are very durable but in this particular application I don't see durability being a major factor.

The lightness of it will hopefully make for a subtler splashdown, more along the lines of a dragonfly landing on the surface. It remains to be seen how much, if any, popping action can be had from this bait. Insects on the surface don't appear to make much in the way of commotion, perhaps the gentle pulsation of the tentacles is all that will be needed. Another thought is as highly buoyant as this bait is, a split shot or small egg sinker placed 12"-18" up the line could make for an interesting underwater presentation along the lines of a drop shot ... slowly hopped or drug along while the bait stays at a constant depth could be productive.

waterone
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by waterone » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:33 pm

I actually don’t think for a small topwater a lot of sound isn’t all that necessary nor productive. If you want to make noise, try a hula popper, a Rebel Pop-R or if you’re brave and can find one in fishing shape an old Creek Chub Popper (I had mis-adentified the ones I use as Heddon in previous post)

I have one Z-Man bait I like, which I haven’t found a tradition plastic bait - the Crustac-Z. It seems to fish pretty well.

As to the idea of a weighted presentation, I have somewhere, some really tiny worm sinkers of, I think, 1/16 oz. I wonder if you could fish you’re creation kind of like a mini Carolina Rig, taking advantage of the floating characteristics of the lure.

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by y2k88 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:26 pm

waterone wrote:One of the problems with the Hula Popper is that finding the really active and “wriggly” replacement skirts is impossible.
Are they similar to flat rubber skirts?

waterone
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by waterone » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:56 pm

Yes, the flat, rubber skirts, as made used to be made by Arbogast.

I’ve tried skirts sold on auction sites, and the rubber is really heavier than the originals.

Silicone skirts are really heavier than needed.i

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:17 pm

Looks similar to the Orikanemushi Tamamushi. The Fujin Spider is also similar. Check out this thread if you havent.

https://www.tackletour.net/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=73756

Orikanemushi Tamamushi

Bxn7-62
Angler
Angler

Post by Bxn7-62 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:19 pm

Nice idea! I love it! I tinker around,and make little lures myself. How much does your lure weigh,and how far can it cast for you? I make some tiny topwater baits,and often add a flattened #3/0 splitshot to the bottom of my baits,for casting distances. Your lure looks like it may have plenty enough flotation to float some added weight. That cork looks like it may be kind of bulky,and catch the wind,reducing casting distances,especially with that tube skirt on it. With a single hook through design like that,you may experience hookup issues,if the body of the lure has a wide girth,and is long being closer to the hook point. The fish may hit it,and not get hooked because of the lures body getting in the way. I have made some lures like that with a single hook,and experienced this. Also if you choose to add weight to the bottom of the lure,and the lure body is long,and too close to the back portion of the hook,that may add clearance issues,unless you drill a small hole or cutout in the bottom of the lure body, to put the weight in. When making small topwater baits,and other kinds,I like to have a piece of wire through the bait,and hang a small dressed treble hook on the back. That way,the body of the lure,and adding possible weight, does not effect the fish getting hooked. To each their own though. If you ever want to add some lively action to your lure,get 2 plastic finger nails,glue them together for added strength,make a hole in the center of them,and fit them on the hook concave side facing the front of the hook eye. After you get them on the hook,superglue them to the front of your lure. These fingernails will 1) make your lure spit and splash like a skitterpop 2) when you just straight reel it in,the lure will have a side to side movement almost like jitterbug,but a lot less,due to smaller width and size of the finger nails. If you decide to use the finger nails,I would suggest a coating of epoxy or UV resin over the whole lure,to lock everything together,and extra strength for the fingernail part. I hope these things I've found out while tinkering with this stuff myself,can help you in some way. I'm not trying to tell you what to do,or control what you decide to do with your lure. Just the fact that you are tinkering like I do is awesome! The ideas I get, bounce around in my head,and keep up up at night sometimes. It's always wonderful when an idea becomes a working fish catching bait in my tackle box.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:01 pm

I used to put foam corks into flipping tubes and fish them C-rigged all the time, caught a lot of fish that way, too. I had actually forgotten about that, as I did it when I was a kid, so thanks for the reminder!
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.