Casting reel for lake fishing

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Casting reel for lake fishing

Post by 1nutinthewater » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:20 pm

Looking for a second quality reel for throwing 1/4 oz lures from the boat lake fishing for trout. Purchased a calcutta conquest BFS HG but need another as i like to have 4 set ups ready to go. From previous research I think the SS Air looked like it would be a fine choice but does anyone have any other advice on a suitable reel? I also have a tat sv and a chronarch mgl that i use for much heavier applications and larger fish that I may spool up with some light line and see how well they throw the 1/4 oz.
Going to pair it with an Edge 7101 finesse rod.
Target fish- up to 6# trout.
Our tradition is that of the first who sneaked away to the creek when tribe did not really need fish

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Casting reel for lake fishing

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:13 am

The Tat SV will throw 1/4 oz just fine.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

JB in SC
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by JB in SC » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:26 am

Daiwa PX68R will handle 1/4 oz with ease. Easy to palm too.

Ajaxin
Angler
Angler

Post by Ajaxin » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:47 pm

I really like the alphas air for 1/4. Funny you mention edge rods. I just ordered the first strike 6101 drop shot finesse rod. I haven't seen any real feedback on the edge rods for bfs applications. Got it for $150 so I figured what the heck.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:02 pm

The SV 105 (Alphas SV) should be great. Great reels that can be found pretty cheap. Great to palm as well.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:58 pm

Ajaxin wrote:I really like the alphas air for 1/4. Funny you mention edge rods. I just ordered the first strike 6101 drop shot finesse rod. I haven't seen any real feedback on the edge rods for bfs applications. Got it for $150 so I figured what the heck.
Recently was able to handle all of their rods and walked away with 3 of their Black Widow steel head models- very happy with them and their customer service is excellent. You got a great deal!
I'm going to hold out until they are half price again.
Our tradition is that of the first who sneaked away to the creek when tribe did not really need fish

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:55 am

ccass wrote:The SV 105 (Alphas SV) should be great. Great reels that can be found pretty cheap. Great to palm as well.
I was referring to the JDM SS Air not the sv 105. I know that the sv105 is extremely well loved but the SS Air had caught my interest.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:47 am

1nutinthewater wrote:
ccass wrote:The SV 105 (Alphas SV) should be great. Great reels that can be found pretty cheap. Great to palm as well.
I was referring to the JDM SS Air not the sv 105. I know that the sv105 is extremely well loved but the SS Air had caught my interest.
I know. I have both and the SV105 will save you money and be able to handle 1/4oz better
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:11 pm

ccass wrote:
1nutinthewater wrote:
I know. I have both and the SV105 will save you money and be able to handle 1/4oz better
Cool! Thank you for the feedback. This attempt at throwing light baits is new to me!

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:29 pm

Recommendations for finding the best price on an SV105HSL?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:38 pm

Japan Angler is the only retailer I know that shows in-stock:

http://jpangler.com/index.php/daiwa-alphas-sv.html

It is showing out of stock on all the other usual suspects-JLS, ProShop Otsuka, Plat, even Japan Tackle.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:23 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:The Tat SV will throw 1/4 oz just fine.
Removed the 20# braid used for steel head and spooled it up with 6# trilene and yes it does cast 1/4 oz easily after some fine tuning!
Switched between it and the calcutta conquest which is filled with 8# Nanofil and i get about the same distance from each although the conquest is much smoother.
Both cast very easily but I find the tatula sv nearly impossible to backlash while the conquest did get a bit messy after i put a lil to much into one cast!
I guess i don't really need another reel but what fun is that?