Loomis Rod Question

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
dobro
Angler
Angler

Loomis Rod Question

Post by dobro » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:53 am

FIrst - thanks all to my 500-size reel question...I'll be going with a 1000-size reel.

Now, on to my rod question...

I'd like to read up on this on the Loomis website, but either the info isn't there, or I don't know how to find it.

Is there any difference between the TSR GLX rods and the TSR non-GLX rods - other than accouterments such as guides and a different (appearing) handle? For example, they have a TSR 690S-1 GLX and a TSR 690S-1 (non-GLX). Both are 5'9", rated 1-4 lb. line, 1/32 to 1/8 oz. lures, Ultralight, and Moderate-Fast action. Do these rods use the same blank?

I don't mind spending a bit extra if it's worth it...I'm just not sure of all the differences.

Thanks again!
--
Lee Hiers

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Loomis Rod Question

Post by cndbasshunter » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:51 am

dobro wrote:FIrst - thanks all to my 500-size reel question...I'll be going with a 1000-size reel.

Now, on to my rod question...

I'd like to read up on this on the Loomis website, but either the info isn't there, or I don't know how to find it.

Is there any difference between the TSR GLX rods and the TSR non-GLX rods - other than accouterments such as guides and a different (appearing) handle? For example, they have a TSR 690S-1 GLX and a TSR 690S-1 (non-GLX). Both are 5'9", rated 1-4 lb. line, 1/32 to 1/8 oz. lures, Ultralight, and Moderate-Fast action. Do these rods use the same blank?

I don't mind spending a bit extra if it's worth it...I'm just not sure of all the differences.

Thanks again!
GLX blank is different and you get recoil guides.

dobro
Angler
Angler

Post by dobro » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:16 am

cndbasshunter wrote: GLX blank is different and you get recoil guides.
Thanks for the reply cndbasshunter - I don't doubt you at all - for the price difference, the blank should be different. I see on the Loomis site about the recoil guides, but where do you find out about the blanks? Again, not questioning your answer, just wanting to learn where to go so I don't have to bother with these kinds of questions! ;-)
--
Lee Hiers

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:05 am

dobro wrote:
cndbasshunter wrote: GLX blank is different and you get recoil guides.
Thanks for the reply cndbasshunter - I don't doubt you at all - for the price difference, the blank should be different. I see on the Loomis site about the recoil guides, but where do you find out about the blanks? Again, not questioning your answer, just wanting to learn where to go so I don't have to bother with these kinds of questions! ;-)
What you fishing for? Most of the guys up here buy them for crappie / panfish, so 791 vs glx 791 honestly just get the 791. For trout or smth where you are actually using finesse baits you can see the advantage over the regular 791. Action wise i find the glx a tad softer tip, fast action. My favorite is the TSR792.

dobro
Angler
Angler

Post by dobro » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:35 am

cndbasshunter wrote: What you fishing for? Most of the guys up here buy them for crappie / panfish, so 791 vs glx 791 honestly just get the 791. For trout or smth where you are actually using finesse baits you can see the advantage over the regular 791. Action wise i find the glx a tad softer tip, fast action. My favorite is the TSR792.
Thanks for the info. I'm mostly wanting an "all-around" UL. Primarily trout and sunfish (bluegill, etc.), but occasionally may target small bass. I'm leaning toward something in the 6' neighborhood due to the variety of waters where I'd use the rod: small streams, small ponds, and occasionally larger streams.
--
Lee Hiers

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:16 am

dobro wrote:
cndbasshunter wrote: What you fishing for? Most of the guys up here buy them for crappie / panfish, so 791 vs glx 791 honestly just get the 791. For trout or smth where you are actually using finesse baits you can see the advantage over the regular 791. Action wise i find the glx a tad softer tip, fast action. My favorite is the TSR792.
Thanks for the info. I'm mostly wanting an "all-around" UL. Primarily trout and sunfish (bluegill, etc.), but occasionally may target small bass. I'm leaning toward something in the 6' neighborhood due to the variety of waters where I'd use the rod: small streams, small ponds, and occasionally larger streams.
if you are targeting small bass get the TSR792. i love mine and caught up to 4lb bass and no issues.

dobro
Angler
Angler

Post by dobro » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:28 am

Thanks again for the input all....

I've ordered a TSR791S GLX and a SR6010-2 GL3. That gives me a longer general-purpose UL rod, as well as a shorter 2-piece for mountain trout. I've also got a Stradic CI4+ 1000 on the way that will go between the two rods....I'm sure the GLX will get the most use.

Hope to have it all put together in time to use next weekend!
--
Lee Hiers

JB in SC
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by JB in SC » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:20 am

The TSR 791-S GLX is a nice rod, the SR 6010 is the perfect 5' ultralight rod (I've owned the IMX version in a one piece for almost 25 years). The Stradic Ci4 1000 will balance well with either of them.

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hulkster » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:34 pm

I have the TSR791 non GLX and its awesome. I have it paired with a sustain 1000 FE.

TravisNY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TravisNY » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:16 am

Well done sir. Back when the Loomis Shimano Power Pro "Micro Line" system came out In Fishermans Matt Straw did a review of the 791 TSR GLX in their annual Gear Guide. At that time Dave Mercer had some YT videos of that rod online and still may. I got the combo for my wife right off. I would put it into my daily arsenal on days that she was not on the water with me. I added four of my own. Being a river smallmouth light jig guy it checked all the boxes. Years later and literally thousands of fish later it remains one of my all time favorite sticks for light wire plastic, lead and hair. Along the way it has even tamed the occasional 12-15lb channel cat, up to 20lb carp that have eaten our jigs and more 20" or better smallmouth than I can count. Of course in true TT fashion I have purchased, traded and repurchased more rods over the years than I care to count. While doing so my better half has remained steadfast about not getting rid of her micro line combo. I would have been sleeping in the garage had I not listened. Last fall I again found myself missing that stick and have recently re-ordered multiples of the 791 TSR GLX. This time they are staying put. You did better than good. Enjoy.

http://www.in-fisherman.com/bass/new-wa ... cold-wave/
Team flannel, overtime and promotion.

Isaiah20
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Isaiah20 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:17 pm