Favourite Nanofil leader knot

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Favourite Nanofil leader knot

Post by adam lancia » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:36 am

I'm going to be trying out Nanofil for trout this spring and was wondering what the best leader knot is for it with it being so slippery and thin. I usually tie an Alberto or an FG if I have time at home. I'll be using 6# going to anything from 8# fluoro to 4# mono.

Thanks in advance!

wolfewiz
Angler
Angler

Re: Favourite Nanofil leader knot

Post by wolfewiz » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:04 am

Alberto works for me and also the surgeons knot when I’m in bad conditions that make tying harder.

Brad in Texas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Brad in Texas » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:05 pm

Adam,

I've had good luck with just the Alberto/Albright type knot, too, for a junction knot between braid and fluoro . . . including Nanofil in the past. With Nanofil having sort of a slippery feel to it, I might suggest using an FG knot just to be on the safe side.

I know Nanofil is popular with the crappie guys, probably a good choice for white bass and panfish. Trout, too.

But, I have moved over to Sufix Nanobraid. It has a traditional braided construction unlike Nanofil's fibers all running side-by-side but not braided.

Size-wise, 6 lbs. Nanobraid is also smaller in diameter: .10 mm versus .127 mm. Just a guess that Nanobraid is much stronger for the same stated test, even though it is smaller.

Reported elsewhere, I have caught quite a few large LMBs, up to 4 lbs., white bass and a few 5 lbs. catfish . . . no breaks. Well, one on an old knot when I tried to lift a large fish out of the water by pulling up on the line. But, the line held.

It comes in test strengths up to 14 lbs. which has the same diameter as another Sufix Braid, 832, so I just recently strung on Nanobraid in 14 to re-spool a reel that had 10 lbs. 832 on it.

To say this braid is super strong and super thin is an understatement. 4lbs. test would likely work well for you unless you are targeting really large trout. The trouble is when you have braids this tiny and joining them to fluoro or mono leaders in the test strengths you mentioned where the leaders are much larger in diameter.

When you can get around using a leader, these tiny braids are super hard to see, supposing it is the same for fish.

Brad

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:12 am

Brad in Texas wrote:Adam,

But, I have moved over to Sufix Nanobraid. It has a traditional braided construction unlike Nanofil's fibers all running side-by-side but not braided.

Brad
I'm getting ready to setup a reel for UL/L duty, was going to try 5lb PowerPro, always used 10lb 832 though for spinning (their 6lb isn't quite thin enough), but after your report and a few others I will give the Nanobraid a shot. Never been a fan of that flat feel that Nanofil has.

For a 6'L with a 20size reel (maybe a 1000 size), I think the 6lb Nanobraid should be great, even with the double UNI knot I still use, not sure why, never had it fail me though. I have started using the alberto more often because it is smaller diameter, but if I am in a hurry the uni to uni still hasn't ever let me down.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:01 am

Thanks for the feedback Brad, I really appreciate it! It's good to have someone with firsthand experience to go off of, I'll look into that line. The only braid I use is 832 so this'll keep it in the family lol. My 4 year old daughter is gonna love that it comes in pink!

The only reason I pivoted up the Nanofil is because I used it when it first came out and had no idea what I was doing with it and had a horrible experienced as a result. Figured I'd give it a second chance when I saw the spool on sale at a local shop. I played around with a double Alberto going to 6# Berkley XL FC. 8 wraps held really well and didn't cut the leader. I have a pair of finger savers so I was really able to crank down on the knot and the FC but the knot held. I tried 12 wraps the first time and the knot wouldn't cinch down, it got struck about three quarters of the way. I guess the Nanofil locked into the leader too early. 8 cinched up nicely though.

Most of the trout I'll be going after aren't that big, but if and when I get out on the Mira River (Google Mira River brown trout), I'll have the potential to hook into some bigger ones. I'll bring the heavier gear for those bad boys, just in case...

Thanks!

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:24 am

Do any of you use nanofil on baitcasters - or spinning only?
I guess that the good old uni-uni is too weak?

Brad in Texas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Brad in Texas » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:01 am

Adam,

Most people I know and have watched don't fish Nanofil with a leader. The crappie/white bass/ panfish guys love it when they are making longer casts.

One of the issues with its design is since it is not braided, but straight lines of Dyneema fused together, if you were to look under a microscope, it is smoother and less round (it looks like some flat versions of dental floss), so it doesn't cut into the other leader materials as well as other true braids. Same thing for knots which derive their strength from friction. Nanofil has less of it, a more slippery surface with a lower friction coefficient.

Still a great line; but, you are going to be surprised by how much farther you can cast Sufix Nanobraid for the same test strength. For it, you have no need to go over 6 lbs. and likely 4 lbs. would be optimal for most trout. The issue here, again, is these incredibly small diameter braids don't have a lot of decently strong leader materials in the same diameter range to tie to. I think I'd likely go 6 lbs. Nanobraid to 6 lbs. Seaguar Invizx. That'd work well and give you the line invisibility often needed for trout.

*** Dalleinf, because of Nanofil's extreme smoothness, it will embed itself, that is, dig into the spool of line, easier than most other braids. Nanofil did develop some larger test strengths over time supposedly to make it more compatible with bait casters, so if you give it a go, be sure and use one of the larger diameter lines. My guess is you won't be happy; better to find another braid with a larger available diameter.

Generally speaking, 10 to 12 lbs. braids and smaller, occupy the realm of spinning tackle; diameters of 10 to 12 lbs. monofilament lines and larger, is within the realm of bait casters.

Brad

Strewth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Strewth » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:33 am

The PR and FG knots are the strongest in that order. Read Aquaholik’s thread on stripersonline, where dozens of lines and knots are tested. The FG is a snack to tie with the Daiichi Knot Asist Tool. 2 mins for any braid/leader combo and is the thinnest knot going.Typically 75-85% strength, based on the ACTUAL strength of the braid.

jigmaster5
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jigmaster5 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:26 am

FG knots work by digging into the fluoro/mono....with 6 lb nanofil or 4/6 lb leader there's not alot of material to work with....try it & see. the stripers guys are using much heavier gear.

i've used nanofil since it came out for trout + panfish....i love it but it has limitations. people either seem to love it or hate it.

it's great in open water. and that's how i use it for trout fishing in ponds/lakes. if you try to fish it in a stream with rocks + wood & hook a big trout....you're going to hate it. it has poor abrasion resistance compared to other lines that i've used.

but on the plus side, it's quite strong in a straight pull and casts better than any other line that i've tried....except maybe gliss. (gliss is a whole different animal).

to answer your original question, i use an improved albright (10 turns with 2 turns on the exit loop) and a tiny drop of superglue on the leader side. i usually start with a 6' leader for trout and replace it when it gets down to 3'. 4 lb nanofil and 4 lb seaguar fluoro is what i use. that's what works for me.

try some other knots & see what you like best...

good luck! :D

wolfewiz
Angler
Angler

Post by wolfewiz » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:46 am

X2 in the nanobraid. I have the 2lb in my panfish setups. Use a 3lb fluoro leader. Have landed some 3-4 lb bass with no problem. Using ul rod of course.

I’m ashamed to say that I continue to fail at properly tying the FG knot. Even after I got the knot assist tool. I’ll leep trying, but Alberto works great for me.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:48 am

I have used 6# and 8# Nanofil since they came out and 8# Nanobraid I used almost all of last year. I tie direct with these lines. The 8# NF vs 8# NB I feel Nanofil is the better casting line. The Nanofil has better sensitivity while dragging. The Nanobraid wins easily for durability. Im going back to Nanofil 8# this year the casting ease and sensitivity drawing me back but will just have to retie more often than with nanobraid. The FishNfool type knot I use gets me nearly 12# strength out of the 8# Nanofil same knot on 8# Nanobraid hold to low 10#. The 6# Nanofil gets to 9# range.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:05 am

adam lancia wrote:Thanks for the feedback Brad, I really appreciate it! It's good to have someone with firsthand experience to go off of, I'll look into that line. The only braid I use is 832 so this'll keep it in the family lol. My 4 year old daughter is gonna love that it comes in pink!

Thanks!
Where do you live??? Wish I could get a brighter colored line. Considered ordering PowerPro original in yellow or red (5lb), but after this thread I feel like I need to try the Nanobraid.

Really excited, my TFO 6'Light came in yesterday, got my Revo STX20 put on it, now gotta get a new 2500 for my 7'ML, going to go for some crappie and more finesse this year.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:21 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
adam lancia wrote:Thanks for the feedback Brad, I really appreciate it! It's good to have someone with firsthand experience to go off of, I'll look into that line. The only braid I use is 832 so this'll keep it in the family lol. My 4 year old daughter is gonna love that it comes in pink!

Thanks!
Where do you live??? Wish I could get a brighter colored line. Considered ordering PowerPro original in yellow or red (5lb), but after this thread I feel like I need to try the Nanobraid.

Really excited, my TFO 6'Light came in yesterday, got my Revo STX20 put on it, now gotta get a new 2500 for my 7'ML, going to go for some crappie and more finesse this year.
I have 8# PowerPro would definitely choose Nanobraid over pp for future purchase.

Strewth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Strewth » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:50 pm

jigmaster5 wrote:FG knots work by digging into the fluoro/mono....with 6 lb nanofil or 4/6 lb leader there's not alot of material to work with....try it & see. the stripers guys are using much heavier gear.

i've used nanofil since it came out for trout + panfish....i love it but it has limitations. people either seem to love it or hate it.

it's great in open water. and that's how i use it for trout fishing in ponds/lakes. if you try to fish it in a stream with rocks + wood & hook a big trout....you're going to hate it. it has poor abrasion resistance compared to other lines that i've used.

but on the plus side, it's quite strong in a straight pull and casts better than any other line that i've tried....except maybe gliss. (gliss is a whole different animal).

to answer your original question, i use an improved albright (10 turns with 2 turns on the exit loop) and a tiny drop of superglue on the leader side. i usually start with a 6' leader for trout and replace it when it gets down to 3'. 4 lb nanofil and 4 lb seaguar fluoro is what i use. that's what works for me.

try some other knots & see what you like best...

good luck! :D
I use the FG with 6 lb leaders and 4 lb braid all the time. Just don’t use too many wraps (18 max) and pull hard until the braid changes colour before doing a Rizutto finish. The knots last for months or until I run out of leader. Super knot which is 30-40% stronger than the Albright etc. Also much thinner, since there is no fold in the leader. You can, of course, use a weaker knot if strength is not critical and strong fish are not your target.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:28 pm

QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:

Thanks!

I have 8# PowerPro would definitely choose Nanobraid over pp for future purchase.
Ok that works. Got some 6lb Nanobraid in the TW cart right now. I use 8lb PowerPro on an old Abu Orra S30 (gen 1) mounted on a 6'6"ML BassPro Carbonlite and it's actually a decent setup that I've never been broken off with. It's kinda a junker/carry in the truck combo though, so for my higher quality super finesse I want the Nanobraid.

To be honest concerning this thread, I have ZERO issues and never have with the uni to uni knot. The only problem with it is that the size is a little big. When I use a shorter 1-2ft leader, it's a non issue because it doesn't even really pass through the guides.