What new baits will you be tying on this year ?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

What new baits will you be tying on this year ?

Post by uljersey » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:53 am

Last year I discovered blade baits. I had a very good season with Johnson ThinFisher baits in 3/16, 1/14 and 1/2 chasing bass. Late in the season I found these Reef Runner Cicadas and grabbed a few with the intention of using them for UL. I never got a chance to throw them yet but they look promising. I'm grinning thinking about some fat bull bluegills taking them for a ride ...

What's new in your tackle bag ?

1/16 on the left and 1/8 on the right.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: What new baits will you be tying on this year ?

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:36 pm

Blade baits will be my new venture as well.

JB in SC
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by JB in SC » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:50 pm

I'll be trying more ultralight spoons this year. Shame we don't have the big white bass runs in the Savannah anymore.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:15 pm

I'm gonna run a Picasso JR A-rig with some small swimbaits rigged weedless. Watched a guy on the river kill it last year with a weedless A-rig, little hooks but light drag (still strong line) works well.

Also been using my version of a "Tiny Ika", take a Hula Grub's tails off and rig the body with skirting pointed rear on a #1 or 1/0 and pitch with a 1/8 Tungsten into brush. It's like a tiny tube but a little more slender.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:57 pm

DirtyD64 wrote: Also been using my version of a "Tiny Ika", take a Hula Grub's tails off and rig the body with skirting pointed rear on a #1 or 1/0 and pitch with a 1/8 Tungsten into brush. It's like a tiny tube but a little more slender.
I have done this and it works pretty well, I never settled on a good line weight for it though.

I am making a big go of swimbaits/big baits this year. I had some luck on them last fall and am pretty excited.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:14 pm

Houndfish wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote: Also been using my version of a "Tiny Ika", take a Hula Grub's tails off and rig the body with skirting pointed rear on a #1 or 1/0 and pitch with a 1/8 Tungsten into brush. It's like a tiny tube but a little more slender.
I have done this and it works pretty well, I never settled on a good line weight for it though.

I am making a big go of swimbaits/big baits this year. I had some luck on them last fall and am pretty excited.

10lb braid here. Sometimes use it on 8lb or 12lb fluoro though...

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by earthworm77 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:41 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:I'm gonna run a Picasso JR A-rig with some small swimbaits rigged weedless. Watched a guy on the river kill it last year with a weedless A-rig, little hooks but light drag (still strong line) works well.

Also been using my version of a "Tiny Ika", take a Hula Grub's tails off and rig the body with skirting pointed rear on a #1 or 1/0 and pitch with a 1/8 Tungsten into brush. It's like a tiny tube but a little more slender.
That tiny Ika on a Nedhead..........but shhhhhhhhh

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by earthworm77 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:42 pm

uljersey wrote:Last year I discovered blade baits. I had a very good season with Johnson ThinFisher baits in 3/16, 1/14 and 1/2 chasing bass. Late in the season I found these Reef Runner Cicadas and grabbed a few with the intention of using them for UL. I never got a chance to throw them yet but they look promising. I'm grinning thinking about some fat bull bluegills taking them for a ride ...

What's new in your tackle bag ?

1/16 on the left and 1/8 on the right.

When I read the title, I immediately thought the Cicada, I think I am going to crush on them this season at my cabin in NC.

Brad in Texas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Brad in Texas » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:43 am

A tiny #0 Mepps Plain Aglia would be one you should all try.

I recorded my crazy weekend fishing experience using a slightly larger #2, but I own and plan to use the #0 for panfish later in the spring. It would be a killer on ultralight tackle.

This little lure should be in everyone's tackle box.

Story below I posted over on TFF with photos. In the photo of the very large white bass shown next to my boot, you can see the little inline spinner bait in its mouth.

Brad

http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubb ... st12633242