USDM 500-size reels

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
dobro
Angler
Angler

USDM 500-size reels

Post by dobro » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:26 am

Hi All,

I'm a 25+ year fly fisherman who hasn't done any U/L fishing in all that time. I've been wanting to pick up an all-around spinning outfit for targeting trout and bluegill primarily. I'm looking at fishing 2 to 4 lb. line, and am thinking of a Loomis 6' GL3 rod, and a reel to pair it with.

The reel I'm looking at is a Shimano Stradic CI4+ in 1000 size. But I'm wondering if I'd prefer a 500-size reel? I know Shimano doesn't import that reel to the US in a smaller size - what nice reels officially imported to the US are available in 500 size? Or is 1000 small enough?

I would like to stay with USDM, as I can get good pricing on these items via some work connections. Probably want to keep the outfit in the $4-500 retail range.

For bonus points, since I'll be ordering sight-unseen, what is the consensus on the rod? Any other suggestions appreciated.

Thanks!
--
Lee Hiers

JB in SC
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: USDM 500-size reels

Post by JB in SC » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:12 am

A 1000 size reel is a good size for a 6' rod. I'm not impressed with the 500 sized reels (other than the Shimano Soare 500S and you can grab one for about $270 USD shipped from Japan.

Personally with a $500 dollar budget for the rod and reel I'd look to JDM reels. I like the Daiwa Luvias 1003. The shallow spool handles light line much better than a USDM Stradic. Or if you'd prefer a Shimano, the Cardiff cI4+ C2000SS is a great reel for 4 pound line. Either one will balance very well with a 6' Loomis.

I have a couple of the Loomis TJR series rods and the TJR 720-S is a nice rod in particular. Nothing wrong with the GL3, which model were you considering?

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:21 am

dobro wrote:Hi All,

I'm a 25+ year fly fisherman who hasn't done any U/L fishing in all that time. I've been wanting to pick up an all-around spinning outfit for targeting trout and bluegill primarily. I'm looking at fishing 2 to 4 lb. line, and am thinking of a Loomis 6' GL3 rod, and a reel to pair it with.

The reel I'm looking at is a Shimano Stradic CI4+ in 1000 size. But I'm wondering if I'd prefer a 500-size reel? I know Shimano doesn't import that reel to the US in a smaller size - what nice reels officially imported to the US are available in 500 size? Or is 1000 small enough?

I would like to stay with USDM, as I can get good pricing on these items via some work connections. Probably want to keep the outfit in the $4-500 retail range.

For bonus points, since I'll be ordering sight-unseen, what is the consensus on the rod? Any other suggestions appreciated.

Thanks!

I am in a very similar situation, would love to have the tiniest spinning reel possible, but don't want JDM. So far I think you are spot on, a 1000 Stradic Ci4+FB weighs like 5.5oz so it's gonna be a good match for the aforementioned rod. I am looking to match an older reel with a 6'Light rod and I personally feel the 2500 Stradic is still light enough to match with it. Only reason I would be skeptical of the 1000 size Stradic Ci4+ is that insanely low weight, just cannot get over fighting monsters with something that lightweight...

dobro
Angler
Angler

Post by dobro » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:45 pm

JB in SC wrote:A 1000 size reel is a good size for a 6' rod. I'm not impressed with the 500 sized reels (other than the Shimano Soare 500S and you can grab one for about $270 USD shipped from Japan.

Personally with a $500 dollar budget for the rod and reel I'd look to JDM reels.
The budget is less than $500 - that's just the retail price neighborhood I'm looking at, since I can get better pricing than retail.

It looks like my supplier may be out of stock on the Shimano - I'll have to check on when more will be in...or I could go with a Daiwa Tatula LT. Looks like more research...
I have a couple of the Loomis TJR series rods and the TJR 720-S is a nice rod in particular. Nothing wrong with the GL3, which model were you considering?
The specific rod I'm looking at right now is the SR 720-2 GL3. I think it's only available in 2-piece.
--
Lee Hiers

dobro
Angler
Angler

Post by dobro » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:47 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:Only reason I would be skeptical of the 1000 size Stradic Ci4+ is that insanely low weight, just cannot get over fighting monsters with something that lightweight...
What about a Stradic FK 1000?
--
Lee Hiers

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:03 pm

Have you looked at the Daiwa Tournament SS700 ??

Google it and read the reviews, don't take my word for it. It's ugly, has no exotic metals or materials in it and has a whopping 3 bearings ... it also has one of the best drags period and features a micro click drag cap. It's long shallow tapered spool handles and casts line exceptionally well, and the worm gear drive wraps the line in an alternating pattern on the spool which virtually eliminates the line digging in to itself. It's beyond reliable, there are many out there that have been going strong for decades. It's been in continuous production unchanged since about the mid 80's for good reason. For pure function it's tough to beat.

It does not have an instant anti reverse, it uses a ratchet and pawl instead. The roller you see on the forward of the stem is the bail trip, there is no internal bail trip mechanism, the bail is held shut by a single spring. That's about it for moving bail parts.

Many knock it for being somewhat unbalanced, which is notable if there's no line on it and you crank it as fast as humanly possible ... I doubt you'd ever need to retrieve it that fast in an actual fishing situation, but it could happen. It's never been an issue for me. Mine has actually smoothed out over the years, it's broken in nicely.

Also it has a short reel foot, it will fit the vast majority of rods but as you can see in the pic a bit of non adhesive rubber splicing tape does the job in the event you come across a rod with a unique seat/grip configuration like the River Runner in the picture. If you want I'll measure the foot and post it.

It's not for everyone, but if you put performance before aesthetics than it may be the one for you and the best part is it can be had for right around $100.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:49 am

dobro wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:Only reason I would be skeptical of the 1000 size Stradic Ci4+ is that insanely low weight, just cannot get over fighting monsters with something that lightweight...
What about a Stradic FK 1000?
You're one step ahead of me... My retailer at Jonesboro AR has one on sale for like $160 actually. Thing is, I just don't wanna keep my Revo STX20 on my primary dropshot rod, so it will probably go on the LIGHT while a new reel (even if it was the FK1000) will go on my 7' ML...

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by earthworm77 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:38 am

I have a couple of Stradic 1000 CI4'sand I love them.
You can get a smaller framed Shimano reel with the Sahara 500FE but it weights 6.2oz.

The one non Shimano reel that I have used for the better part of the last 20+ years is a Tica Cetus SB500 on my lightest UL combos. I also have an SB800 which has a larger spool. I think they weigh in at 6.2 and 6.3oz but their frame size is tiny in comparison to the Stradic 1000.

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:24 am

Can't you put together a GLoomis SJR 720 IMX with a Shimano Soare 500S and keep it under $500? That would be a pretty sweet combo IMO.
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

JB in SC
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by JB in SC » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:02 pm

mhood wrote:Can't you put together a GLoomis SJR 720 IMX with a Shimano Soare 500S and keep it under $500? That would be a pretty sweet combo IMO.
That would be a nice outfit, the SJR 720 is a hoss. Has a very fast tip and will control larger fish. I fished one for a few years with a Stradic 1000.

My all time favorite is the Loomis SR6010 IMX, very sweet moderate action rod with more power than you think. Single foot guides with a tiny tip top. The 6010 action is special. I've had one since '95 or maybe a little earlier. I like it with 4 lb and 1/16 oz lures, it will handle a big trout just in case (that's why I run 4 lb on it).

A Soare 500S on a SR6010 would be a treat for a small stream trout fisherman.
Last edited by JB in SC on Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by earthworm77 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:08 pm

JB in SC wrote:
mhood wrote:Can't you put together a GLoomis SJR 720 IMX with a Shimano Soare 500S and keep it under $500? That would be a pretty sweet combo IMO.
That would be a nice outfit, the SJR 720 is a hoss. Has a very fast tip and will control larger fish. I fished one for a few years with a Stradic 1000.

My all time favorite is the Loomis SR6010 IMX, very sweet moderate action rod with more power than you think. Single foot guides with a tiny tip top. The 00 action is special. I've had one since '95 or maybe a little earlier. I like it with 4 lb and 1/16 oz lures, it will handle a big trout just in case (that's why I run 4 lb on it).

A Soare 500S on a SR6010 would be a treat for a small stream trout fisherman.

I agree with your assessment. I don't think the 720 is a true UL rod and if the Soare 500 is the reel option considered due to weight and ul capability, why over power the rod.

JB in SC
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by JB in SC » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:24 pm

earthworm77 wrote:I agree with your assessment. I don't think the 720 is a true UL rod and if the Soare 500 is the reel option considered due to weight and ul capability, why over power the rod.
The SJR 720 IMX (4-8 lb) is more suited to tubes and light jigs for bass. But it does serve a purpose if a person is looking for a 4 lb line rod for larger fish. I had to be careful when crappie fishing to avoid tearing the jigs out, It has a lot of backbone with a light fast tip. I consider it ideal for 6 lb, but it will cast a 1/16 oz a mile using 4 lb.

The reel seat is the same that's used on the 721, 722 in IMX. It looks clunky with a 500 sized reel, but that's my opinion.

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timinmo » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:01 pm

I love the 720, I think I have three, but an ultralight it is not. It works great with a 1000 series reel and 4 or 6 lb line. When Mudhole came out with their MHX blanks they had models that were supposed to copy some Loomis blanks. The IMX SJ720 was one of them and I built two casting rods and one spinning on that blank I never liked them as much as the Loomis blank but they are nice.

Back to the original question. I am not a lover of 500 series reels. I have had several and have abandoned them in favor of the 1000 size. I think the 1000 handles line better and do not like the tiny spools on the 500 size reels. With the C14s from Shimano and the LT series from Daiwa being so light I see no reason for the getting a 500. As for rods I really like the Trout and Panfish series rods from St. Croix but I am sure there are other good choices from other makers.

JB in SC
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by JB in SC » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:29 pm

timinmo wrote:I love the 720, I think I have three, but an ultralight it is not. It works great with a 1000 series reel and 4 or 6 lb line. When Mudhole came out with their MHX blanks they had models that were supposed to copy some Loomis blanks. The IMX SJ720 was one of them and I built two casting rods and one spinning on that blank I never liked them as much as the Loomis blank but they are nice.

Back to the original question. I am not a lover of 500 series reels. I have had several and have abandoned them in favor of the 1000 size. I think the 1000 handles line better and do not like the tiny spools on the 500 size reels. With the C14s from Shimano and the LT series from Daiwa being so light I see no reason for the getting a 500. As for rods I really like the Trout and Panfish series rods from St. Croix but I am sure there are other good choices from other makers.
The new CI4+ 1000 is a nice reel, plenty light and not too much line capacity. Maybe Shimano USA will offer a shallow spool version like the original Microline Stradic CI4 (140 of 4 lb PowerPro) IIRC it had a lighter max drag as well. I have a 2000SS in the Cardiff CI4+ it's the same body as a 1000 Stradic but has a 2000 size shallow spool. The reel is closer to the rod than a comparable Daiwa but it's not a problem for me.

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:58 am

Actually, I have a TwinPower 1000 on my SJR 720 IMX and a Laguna 500 on my SJR 6400 IMX. Where I live, you never know when a decent bass will hit and the SJR rods do give you a bit of backbone for those moments. The 500 sized reel on the 6400 IMX is really a sweetly balanced combo and is wonderful to fish with.
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker