US or JDM

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

US or JDM

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:08 pm

I need a setup for lighter jigheads (1/16 or 1/32) with plastics and tiny cranks. I have been digging on here for a while asking if it is okay to use a 20 size reel (moving my Revo STX20 to the UL/L rod) and figure it will be fine...

My issue now is finding a rod. I want to buy the TFO Professional 2 Series in L or UL 6' length, but they seem over priced and no one carries them expect TFO and no way I'm spending $35 in shipping ($135 total) for that rod.

I could buy one of the cheap Lew's Wally Marshall rods, but would rather have something in the $75 to $100 range.

I am also not opposed to getting a budget BFS combo and using it instead of the spinning Light or UL setup, I personally would rather have the spinning though where my wife can use it, and I can replace that Revo on my primary ML rod with a tougher Shimano/Daiwa reel.

Any thoughts on where to find a good L/UL rod or where to buy a budget BFS? I just don't know much about the actions, the best feeling rod taper/action wise I have felt is an Abu Vigilante 5'6"Light from Wal-Mart, but the guides and components don't really match what I'm after...

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: US or JDM

Post by earthworm77 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:37 pm

JDM

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:59 pm

It's tough to recommend something decent in USDM given your price range...JDM means more choices, but also more $$$.

It might be doable if you can find something that is gently used, a St Croix Premier, or a Fenwick River Runner come to mind.

Most of us are always looking for rods with a good balance between sensitivity, castablity of light lures and yet still with a decent amount of backbone.

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:12 pm

I wouldn’t be afraid to buy this at $98 delivered to your door.

https://www.digitaka.com/item.php?item=4560350812501

Regards

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:24 am

Alphahawk wrote:I wouldn’t be afraid to buy this at $98 delivered to your door.

https://www.digitaka.com/item.php?item=4560350812501

Regards
Not bad, checked it out for a good while. My local store finally got the TFO rods in I was after, TFO Professional 2 spinning rods, 6'L and 6'UL so I am gonna finally get to check them out.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:31 am

Smead wrote:It's tough to recommend something decent in USDM given your price range...JDM means more choices, but also more $$$.

It might be doable if you can find something that is gently used, a St Croix Premier, or a Fenwick River Runner come to mind.

Most of us are always looking for rods with a good balance between sensitivity, castablity of light lures and yet still with a decent amount of backbone.
My price range always changes a good bit, found a new St. Croix Premier at the BassPro in the Pyramid not long ago, I think it was an UL St. Croix Premier but too soft for technique I am after. To be honest I really like TFO rods, they had a good bend and feel, but I have always been scared of their warranty so I would probably be more content going with the St. Croix Premier (which also has better components).