Daiwa Tatula LT1000

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
gillchaser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Daiwa Tatula LT1000

Post by gillchaser » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:04 am

Daiwa Tatula LT1000 , 5.8 ozs . Anybody try one yet . I’m going wait and find one on sale . Gillchaser

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Daiwa Tatula LT1000

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:13 pm

gillchaser wrote:Daiwa Tatula LT1000 , 5.8 ozs . Anybody try one yet . I’m going wait and find one on sale . Gillchaser
Also looking at this reel, just can't decide if I wanna take a shot after all of the new tech they are trying. It's hard to try one of these versus the extremely proven Stradic Series.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:04 am

I haven't fished them yet but I've handled over a dozen just to get a good sample of consistency and they are all very smooth and refined. I've actually preferred them to the stradics i've handled.

gillchaser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gillchaser » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:56 pm

In the last year or so I tried a few Daiwa spinning reels in the less than $100 range .
I liked the Fuegos probably the best , but most of the reels only come in a 1500 or larger size . The Tatula comes in a 1000 and is lighter than a Shimano 500 .
Two years ago Shimano started changing all their reel frames to what they called a compact , which brings the body closer to the rod . This puts a severe kink in the stem which cramps my knuckles making it impossible for me to fish one for very long .
The Daiwa reels , so far , aren’t like this .
IMO. , the new Daiwa reels are smoother than the Shimano , out of the box . No break in needed .
I’ll be hanging on to my 500 Shimano reels , but any new 1000 and larger reels will be Daiwa for now . Gillchaser

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:41 pm

ss30378 wrote:I haven't fished them yet but I've handled over a dozen just to get a good sample of consistency and they are all very smooth and refined. I've actually preferred them to the stradics i've handled.
You aren't the first to say this, just hard for me to try one. Took forever to try a Shimano baitcaster (liked it) and now its taking forever to try a Daiwa spinning reel (should like it). Really missed an amazing price on the Luvias series not long ago, still bummed about that.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:40 am

I fully plan on getting a luvias 1003 eventually. I'm waiting for a few casting reels to come back from Spanky from being super tuned then I'll look to get the luvias. Planning on attaching it to the 6'3" tatula finesse rod which should make for a fun setup.

waterone
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by waterone » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:25 pm

The little Luvia’s are really good reels. It just seemed to me the Tatula’s were a bit larger, even though I’d bet they’re on the same basic frame, as best as I can remember.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:42 pm

gillchaser wrote:
Two years ago Shimano started changing all their reel frames to what they called a compact , which brings the body closer to the rod . This puts a severe kink in the stem which cramps my knuckles making it impossible for me to fish one for very long .
I've noticed this also a few times.
I run my pinkie below the stem and my other four fingers above, I have jammed my pinkie knuckle a few times setting the hook.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:59 am

Only problem for me with the 1000 size Daiwa spinners (higher end) is that creepy slow 4.8 gear ratio. At least a 5.6 or close to 30 IPT would be better imo.

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timinmo » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:36 pm

I think you should check the stats on the Tatula LT1000. The Daiwa site shows 6.2 and 30.5 inches.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:53 am

timinmo wrote:I think you should check the stats on the Tatula LT1000. The Daiwa site shows 6.2 and 30.5 inches.
Looking into them right now, took me forever to try my first Shimano baitcaster back in September, so now I need to try my first Daiwa spinning reel. I honestly want to try and find a good deal on Luvias or Certate, or is it not worth the drastic price difference???

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timinmo » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:49 am

I am not trying to pump any brand but pluses and minuses in my mind for the Daiwa and Shimano are as follows.

Daiwa has waaaaay more line capacity than I need on most of the LT reels that I have looked at but they all feel great.

Shimano higher end reels do not have a reverse. I know this is not important to some but I do back reel in some situations so it is important to me. They are equally smooth.

Obviously there are other brands available but I work part time at a sporting goods store and have a chance to handle these two brands. In my mind if you are spending over $100 on a spinning reel you should get a great reel.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:06 am

timinmo wrote:I am not trying to pump any brand but pluses and minuses in my mind for the Daiwa and Shimano are as follows.

Daiwa has waaaaay more line capacity than I need on most of the LT reels that I have looked at but they all feel great.

Shimano higher end reels do not have a reverse. I know this is not important to some but I do back reel in some situations so it is important to me. They are equally smooth.

Obviously there are other brands available but I work part time at a sporting goods store and have a chance to handle these two brands. In my mind if you are spending over $100 on a spinning reel you should get a great reel.
Good analogy, right now I use a Revo STX20, bought in on a good sale and felt obligated to because Abu has sent me like 4 brand new Villain 2.0 rods to replace old junkers (their customer service is UNREAL). They also replaced an original Revo Premier spinning reel for my wife with the 2016 version. Both of the Revo spinning reels are very light and fairly smooth in their own way, amazing drags, etc. but something is missing versus Shimano/Daiwa.
My Stradic Ci4+FA still feels better than either Abu and that's after probably 1000s of fish. I fought a big smallmouth last spring/summer that left my STX20 feeling weird. Got that swirly sound and felt rough for a bit. The roughness went away, but it still does that whirly-whooshing sound when retrieving quickly. For now I plan to go for a Stradic Ci4+FB for myself, and let the wife pick something for herself later, probably a Daiwa where we can try/use both.

jigmaster5
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jigmaster5 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:39 am

I'm going to try 1 of the new Daiwa 1000 reels in the LT series when they go on sale.

I have a cheap Daiwa made Cabelas Pro Guide 1000 for icefishing. It's a decent reel for what I paid on sale. I like it, but I don't think it's worth $50. My biggest gripe is the drag performance is poor....probably expected for a cheap reel. Drag is fine for the fish I'm pulling thru the ice, but if I ever need to protect light line I have to loosen the drag to the point where the drag knob is falling off to get it to spin. I'm going to pull apart the drag system to see if it was put together wrong at the factory or if I can improve it with carbon fiber washers.

I've also tried the new BG 2000 (a bit bigger). Good reel, but the drag clicker is just a thin piece of metal bent to click. Mine came broken (loose inside the reel). I fixed it, but it's a very poor design and any big drag screaming run can bend the metal out of position so it turns silent. I got sick of re-bending it, so I bent it out of the way to make it silent. Other Daiwa reels have much better drag clicker designs (ex. spring-loaded). The drag clicker is not necessary at all for the reel performance, but i like hearing it when a fish is ripping line.

So, I'm assuming the new LT 1000's have a better drag (they pretty much have to) and some kind of better designed drag clicker.

If anyone has a LT 1000 (Legalis ---> Tatula), please let me know what you think on the above...

JB in SC
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by JB in SC » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:41 pm

For about $50 or so more, I would choose a Luvias 1003. After using shallow spool spinning reels for a number of years, I would not go back to standard capacity spools for ultralight fresh water fishing.