Japan style trout spoons

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Dominikk85
Angler
Angler

Japan style trout spoons

Post by Dominikk85 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:11 pm

Who has tried them? Which models? Do they also work for other fish?

RIng
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Japan style trout spoons

Post by RIng » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:05 am

I am in MD. now and wish I had mine with me . I plane on using them foe perch and pan fish and small rock fish down here . I will be using them in NY and VT. for trout and pan fish . I will post on how they work for me with spinning and UL BFS rods .

CM_Stewart
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by CM_Stewart » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:57 am

I have fished with the Daiwa Crusader spoons and Daiwa Presso Adam spoons, although mostly for trout. They work well. The smaller Daiwa Presso Vega spoons work nicely for panfish and will catch bass also.
Chris Stewart
(affiliations: TenkaraBum.com, Finesse-Fishing.com)

CM_Stewart
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by CM_Stewart » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:05 am

Brown with a Crusader spoon.

Brookie with a Vega spoon
Chris Stewart

RIng
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by RIng » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:31 am

Cool Chris !!!

Dominikk85
Angler
Angler

Post by Dominikk85 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:53 pm

Great posts and great pictures. And great streams you have, I'm jealous:).

waterone
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by waterone » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:53 pm

BTW, don’t discount the “non-shiny” color3d spoons. As may be seen in Chris’s pics, his JDM spoons are dull brown, tan, even red/orange. I have J.dM spoons in similar colors as well as in gold, silver and much brighter reds an$ oranges, which as supposed to be more traditional colors. Fishing these small spoons in streams, rivers and reserviors, the less tradionsl colors have proved to be significantly more productive.

Now if I was maybe fishing a white bass run or where there were a lot of silver or gold fry, it might be reversed, but I’m not sure.

Also, many of the small JDM spoons come in barbless hooks - they work really, really well. For trout and panfish, I’ve converted all my lures to either barbless or crushed down the barbs to what has been called micro-barbs or virtual “bumps.”

Dominikk85
Angler
Angler

Post by Dominikk85 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:53 pm

I read some people writing that bronze color would be like the absolute best for trout.

CM_Stewart
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by CM_Stewart » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:32 am

I'm not sure there is one "best" color. Most of what I have read suggests using different colors depending on light levels and water clarity. Personally, I also think the natural forage in that particular stream or lake may also have an impact. I have had days where any color worked, and days where one was clearly better that another (and not always the same color).

I will echo waterone's sentiments. I have become a big fan of the single barbless hooks. All the spoons I use come with single hooks, and the ones that are barbed get replaced with single barbless hooks.
Chris Stewart

waterone
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by waterone » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:56 am

For years, I’ve been both a fly fisherman and user of other techniques, and have been reading for 40+ years about using spoons and to some degree spinners, and have noticed inconsistency in catching trout and other rivers species with the classic fladhy colors and finishes. When fishing became tough, I usually resorted to using jigs and flies. The colors and finishes that were more consistency successful were more subdued finishes. Now I have another alternative, spoons which actually cast better than most jigs, have great action and subdued finishes.

Now there were always exceptions; for stocker trout, or big fish in bigger waters, the flashier finishes were sucessful with fish who feed primarily on other fish. From my observations, stream and river fish (with exception such as white bass, striped bass and say walleye, sauger) feed more or just as much on drab prey such as insects, crayfish, sculpins, madtoms and many fishes with subdued colors.

There’s another factor with JDM spoons, they don’t seem to spin as badly as more traditional spoons. I don’t know how to explain it, but in the same sizes and waters, they seem to spin less.

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:31 pm

I have over $250 of spoons from troutshop.jp and have tried many different brands. If i could only choose one then the Penta would be my choice. I actually caught my personal best walleye on it. From my experience, they work best with slow roll, flutter, slow roll, flutter technique and most of the bites actually come from the slow roll because the shape actually puts out a nice vibration. :lol: Try them out, i think you would love it. http://www.troutshop.jp/index.php?isesa ... =%E3%81%82

Oh yeah, they come with barbless hook.

JB in SC
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by JB in SC » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:40 am

The Daiwa Presso Vegas (.8 gram) work really well for trout.

Brook trout can't seem to stay away from the darker colors. There are a few streams restored to native brook trout fisheries that are prefect for the tiny spoons and super light presentation.

Thank goodness they have barbless hooks, they are super sharp. And thanks Chris for making them easily available!

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:19 am

I'll be trying these come spring and was wondering about the type of barbless hook to use. I decided to buy 4 lots of used spoons but want to ensure I have good hooks on hand in case some of them are pooched. Ideally available online, preferably from a North American shop.
Thanks!

JB in SC
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by JB in SC » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:26 am

Adam I sent you a PM.

Finesse-Fishing.com has replacement single hooks (barbless) that should work for most any small lure.
Last edited by JB in SC on Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

JB in SC
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by JB in SC » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:03 pm

I just got some Daiwa Lupin spoons in 1.8 gram, a Loomis TSR 681-2 w/ Shimano 2000SS casts them effortlessly. Very pleased with them.