Japan style trout spoons

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
CM_Stewart
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Japan style trout spoons

Post by CM_Stewart » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:07 am

Don't add much to the hook. Maybe some fluorescent thread on the shank, but that's about it. I once tied a sparse hackle on one to mimic the squirrel tail on a Mepps spinner, and it killed the spoon's action completely! It was a small spoon (.8g), but still.
Chris Stewart
(affiliations: TenkaraBum.com, Finesse-Fishing.com)

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:14 am

Houndfish: Well, sadly, I do not have science to support my thoughts. From many years of fishing trout in gin-clear streams, I know that I land a larger proportion of fish that hit my spinners vs spoons (I should be able to get a “significant” P-value on that during a few weeks of fishing next summer). Since “all else” is equal (gear, line, hook, stream, angler), the only way I see spoons have worse hook-up ratio in my fishing is due to the spoon/hook dance.

Yes, spoons cast well and also perform well for deeper water. I also like how spoons with single hooks perform in water with grass and other vegetation where I can get the spoons to “float” around obstacles and avoid getting hung up. I mostly use spoons in such situations (deeper water with vegetation, mid/late summer).
I have had some luck with spoons that have hooks with flash/feathers, but I have not used them enough to be opionated on the subject 8-[ :lol:

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:01 am

Dalleinf wrote:Houndfish: Well, sadly, I do not have science to support my thoughts. From many years of fishing trout in gin-clear streams, I know that I land a larger proportion of fish that hit my spinners vs spoons (I should be able to get a “significant” P-value on that during a few weeks of fishing next summer). Since “all else” is equal (gear, line, hook, stream, angler), the only way I see spoons have worse hook-up ratio in my fishing is due to the spoon/hook dance.

Yes, spoons cast well and also perform well for deeper water. I also like how spoons with single hooks perform in water with grass and other vegetation where I can get the spoons to “float” around obstacles and avoid getting hung up. I mostly use spoons in such situations (deeper water with vegetation, mid/late summer).
I have had some luck with spoons that have hooks with flash/feathers, but I have not used them enough to be opionated on the subject 8-[ :lol:
You will usually get a lower hookup ratio with erratic baits or erratic retrieves vs. steady baits or steady retrieves, especially with smaller fish. This applies to most species in most situations. Fish with very big mouths (i.e. largemouth or trout over 5 pounds) are big enough to keep hookup ratios high. Fish that big rarely miss baits when they are truly interested.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:12 am

CM_Stewart wrote:Don't add much to the hook. Maybe some fluorescent thread on the shank, but that's about it. I once tied a sparse hackle on one to mimic the squirrel tail on a Mepps spinner, and it killed the spoon's action completely! It was a small spoon (.8g), but still.
Ah, good point. Maybe just a strand or three of flash to start. White perch seem to show a very strong preference to chartreuse colored lures so I will also start looking for some spools in that color.

Most guys around here who use lures to fish for WP seem to use small 1/16-18oz spinnerbaits and small grubs/paddle tails on jigheads and I rarely talk to anyone using spoons or inlines. I dislike the small spinnerbaits for BFS use as most of the WP fishing is done on tidal rivers and there is almost always wind. I prefer to cast both small spinnerbait and grubs on XF spinning rods and use casting tackle for spinners and spoons. Castability goes a long way into making for a relaxing day of perch jerkin' and I am excited to give spoons a real try this spring when I can get some big ones.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:15 am

I guess most of the trout I catch are 3.3 to 5 pounds and some (10-20%) are over 5 pounds. They still seem to miss (more) here in Denmark. At least the small streams I fish where they have little time to target the spoon. However, I have noticed that some local spoon guys, who fish bigger streams, tend to catch a high proportion of big’uns.
LM bass have those gorgeous big gobs and are probably better at catching the spoons. Sadly, I have too little experience with bass.
Right now I am looking forward to trout season next summer. I look forward to throwing the small spoons with my Daiwa Air Stream Custom on a short rod. Great fun.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:35 pm

Any experience with the different types of Shimano Cardiff spoons?