Looking for a new BFS reel.

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
cisys
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Looking for a new BFS reel.

Post by cisys » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:17 pm

Hi all,

Looking to get a new reel after many years. Been looking at BFS reels but I just cant decide on what to get. Because I've only been using 1 reel for the past 5 years, I've decided that im going to spend a little more on the reel.

I've been looking at the Shimano 16 aldebaran BFS XG, I was wondering what other reels I should consider.

I also saw that there were aftermarket bearings and spools. I was wondering how much further I would be able to cast if I were to upgrade them right off the bat. The lightest spool I've seen for the Aldebaran seems to be the Avail honeycomb but that thing looks way too fragile.
On the note of Aftermarket components, Since Avail makes microcast spools for many different reels and you can replace the bearing in them with what hedgehog has to offer, wouldn't all the reels (that has BFS aftermarket parts available) cast similar distance? Then choosing a reel (with the intention of upgrading) be down to weight and ergonomics (How easy to palm)?

Thank you!

southpaw619
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Looking for a new BFS reel.

Post by southpaw619 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:08 pm

I would grab the 16 Aldebaran BFS. I have four of them and love them to death. They bring so much joy to my fishing. I did not know Avail made a spool for one, please link? Upgraded parts may bring a little extra distance at the same lure weight. However, the upgrades you mention mainly bring ease to one's fishing and help throwing lighter weights. Hypothetically say you could cast 1.5g with stock spool for 10 yards with no wind but not 1g in any circumstance. With upgraded spool and bearings you would be able to cast 1.5g 12 yards, be able to cast 1.5g with some wind, and have a chance at casting 1g.

cisys
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by cisys » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:27 pm

southpaw619 wrote:I would grab the 16 Aldebaran BFS. I have four of them and love them to death. They bring so much joy to my fishing. I did not know Avail made a spool for one, please link? Upgraded parts may bring a little extra distance at the same lure weight. However, the upgrades you mention mainly bring ease to one's fishing and help throwing lighter weights. Hypothetically say you could cast 1.5g with stock spool for 10 yards with no wind but not 1g in any circumstance. With upgraded spool and bearings you would be able to cast 1.5g 12 yards, be able to cast 1.5g with some wind, and have a chance at casting 1g.
Ahh! Now that you mentioned it, I made a mistake and saw the Avail spool for the 15 Aldebaran instead. My bad!

thanks for the insight on the upgraded parts. Have you changed any parts on your aldebaran? If so which aftermarket parts did you go for.

Also, what made you not want to get the BFS reels that Daiwa or Abu has to offer?

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:44 pm

My recommendation would be the Alphas Air, but I'm a simple kind of guy. By simple I mean its great out of the box. No need to upgrade spool, bearings are preference. They will make casting a little easier, but nothing earth shattering. I'm a Daiwa guy, and prefer the magnetic braking and ease of operation they offer.

fffishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fffishing » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:25 am

I would recommend any Daiwa medium-small size reel (TD-Z,Alphas,SS,Pixy familys),and get microspool on it.You will be able to cast lures from 1.5 gr (with shallow spool) to ounce with stock spool.(I'm using TD-Ito 103M,Steez16,Presso..)
If you looking for Shimano, Ald BFS will be not bad,but...with stock spool you'll be in a short range of lures(2gr-10-12gr...ok! it's possible to use more,just you can't put enough line,no?),plus on the weights less then 2gr this reel also need a shallow spool. Another not bad choice- Ald50 + microspool+Avail magnet brakes...With two spools you can easy cover from 1gr to 28gr (I'm using this reel too).And,of cource, Calcutta Conquest 50+microspool+Avail magnet brakes,-works from 1gr too...
And one more family...Abu!!! 1500-2500 classic reel+microspool+Avail magnet brakes+small upgrade on cogwheel and line guide,-again will give you chance to fish ing from 1gr to 28gr .(I'm using three 2500c reels).Morrum Mag 1600+microspool works good from 1.5gr.
Generally ,I think on this small weights using a magnets brakes is more convenient .
So,it's up to you budget and personal viewing ,-any of this reel will be good .
Attachments
IMG_2534[1].jpg
IMG_2534[1].jpg (90.37 KiB) Viewed 5014 times
IMG_2533[1].jpg
IMG_2533[1].jpg (90.09 KiB) Viewed 5014 times

southpaw619
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by southpaw619 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:33 am

cisys wrote:
southpaw619 wrote:Ahh! Now that you mentioned it, I made a mistake and saw the Avail spool for the 15 Aldebaran instead. My bad!

thanks for the insight on the upgraded parts. Have you changed any parts on your aldebaran? If so which aftermarket parts did you go for.

Also, what made you not want to get the BFS reels that Daiwa or Abu has to offer?
Yes, I have 3 KTF tuned Aldebarans and a fourth with KTF spool and ZPI parts that I haven't fished yet. I have an Abu LTZ, the thing is a tank, versatile, and my saltwater BFS reel. Although it is not nearly refined as the Aldebarans. My giant hands and aggressive palming don't usually play well with Daiwa. I've had to sell the few I've owned because I never can cast them without hitting the brake dial every cast. However, I did casts my friends Alpha Air on various occasions and love it's sturdiness and strong sense of control when casting. Still at least to me, the Aldebaran BFS in comparison to Alpha Air is significantly lighter in total weight, slightly more refined, has a lighter spool which is important during trout season, and I feel the FTB braking system is on par with Daiwa's superb braking.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:09 pm

Alphas AIR is a great BFS reel out of the box. Can be found a tad over $200.

I have used many BFS reels and I feel the Alphas AIR can hang in with the best of them. I really like the Aldebaran BFS (16) with a KTF spool but, after its all said and done, it's a lot more money for not too much more performance. The only benefit is with the lightest of lures.

I'd you plan on throwing 1/8oz and above, the Alphas AIR is a great reel. It can handle less but, if you are consistently throwing under 1/8oz, I'd go with the 16 Aldebaran BFS. I haven't used the Scorpion BFS yet but, I read people say it's a great casting reel.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

southpaw619
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by southpaw619 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:38 pm

ccass wrote:Alphas AIR is a great BFS reel out of the box. Can be found a tad over $200.

I have used many BFS reels and I feel the Alphas AIR can hang in with the best of them. I really like the Aldebaran BFS (16) with a KTF spool but, after its all said and done, it's a lot more money for not too much more performance. The only benefit is with the lightest of lures.

I'd you plan on throwing 1/8oz and above, the Alphas AIR is a great reel. It can handle less but, if you are consistently throwing under 1/8oz, I'd go with the 16 Aldebaran BFS. I haven't used the Scorpion BFS yet but, I read people say it's a great casting reel.
Spot on assessment!

cisys
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by cisys » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:12 am

Thanks everyone for the reply! I guess at this point i can either get a reel thats great out of the box or just choose a small sized reel of my choice and throw on a shallow spool on it.

I'll definitely update you guys on what I decided to get.