Rod for calcutta conquest bfs?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Rod for calcutta conquest bfs?

Post by timinmo » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:29 pm

I have an ultra light casting rod made on a NFC 5'4" spin jig blank. An old school Calcutta Conquest 51 lives on it but maybe I need to try the BFS on it. I got on a kick of making casting rods out of light and ultra light spinning blanks. Some worked out great some not so much. While I like fast and extra fast rods it seems that for BFS a little slower blanks works better, at least for me.

Winstondry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Winstondry » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:31 am

Find a used Daiko BRSC-64L and never look back. ;)
I'll have to pull mine out from the dusty dark, I forgot I had it until seeing this thread. I've been using an old Kistler Helium LTA, I mean really old rod for my UL casting duties but I think the Daiko is about to get resurrected!

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:56 pm

You could try to find a st croix legend inshore extra light powered rod. 6'6" and I've casted down to 1g with it.

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:49 am

I've had my eye on these. I really dislike buying a rod and not being able to handle it before purchase.
My most recent internet purchase ended up with a rod that just felt to light to me but from a very reputable maker (EDGE) that exchanged no questions asked at a local show so i ended up leaving with several others............
Our tradition is that of the first who sneaked away to the creek when tribe did not really need fish

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:29 am

mhood wrote:
1nutinthewater wrote:
mhood wrote:
Farnorth wrote:Daiko is no longer making rods. You would need to find a used or old stock one.
Yes, it would be a search for a used one but it's hands down the best light BC rod I ever had the pleasure to fish with.
I have searched to jupiter and back with no luck finding one of these. Please let me know if you have any avenue of obtaining a used model as it does sound like a great rod.
I'm getting pretty old. Watch this space and maybe you could help my widow pry mine from my cold dead hands. :big grin:

Just checking in to see if your still kicking or if that rod can be had for a song........ :whistle:
Our tradition is that of the first who sneaked away to the creek when tribe did not really need fish

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:43 am

Also wanting to dig this thread up again also as I am still looking for a few light duty casting rods for trout fishing. The closest that i have found and like so far is the edge inshore rod.
Anyone else have any good reviews for great casting rod for trout?

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:20 am

1nutinthewater wrote:Also wanting to dig this thread up again also as I am still looking for a few light duty casting rods for trout fishing. The closest that i have found and like so far is the edge inshore rod.
Anyone else have any good reviews for great casting rod for trout?
What size trout? For Brookies, I have a pretty sweet rod I got from AliExpress for like 65 bucks. Super impressed with it. A parabolic bend without being squishy or whipped. Responsive on the cast and cool cosmetics.

Here is a review/test of the rod:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2__e4NUcc74
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:51 am

Trout in the mountain lakes here are in the 1-5# range. I really like the EDGE 622 that was the recent sale but am looking for a few others to try. I do have a Kuying on the way as well along with 3 new spinning rods which i really do not need...................

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:06 am

1nutinthewater wrote:
mhood wrote:
1nutinthewater wrote:
mhood wrote:
Farnorth wrote:Daiko is no longer making rods. You would need to find a used or old stock one.
Yes, it would be a search for a used one but it's hands down the best light BC rod I ever had the pleasure to fish with.
I have searched to jupiter and back with no luck finding one of these. Please let me know if you have any avenue of obtaining a used model as it does sound like a great rod.
I'm getting pretty old. Watch this space and maybe you could help my widow pry mine from my cold dead hands. :big grin:

Just checking in to see if your still kicking or if that rod can be had for a song........ :whistle:
I h8 to disappoint you but.... :big grin:
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:48 pm

mhood wrote:
1nutinthewater wrote:
mhood wrote:
1nutinthewater wrote:
mhood wrote:

Thats great news! I got tired of waiting! :lol:

Got to put in some serious hours using the Edge rod with the conquest and really enjoyed it. Landed many trout with the largest 3.5#. As soon as my carb gets rebuilt I am going for larger prey!
I ordered a few Major craft rods to try out next...........

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Wed May 16, 2018 7:46 am

The Kuying Teton 662 is an incredible buy at $65. I purchased one just to have a cheapo beater and am very impressed and use it more than a few of the Major Craft Corzza's that I purchased at the same time. The rod load up and flings 7 grams beautifully and for a 2 power rod is quite light. I would say its much more like a 1.
My favorite stick at the moment.............

SLMStyles
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by SLMStyles » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:54 pm

I just received a Tenryu Rayz RZ56L-BC in the mail today (to pair with my Comquest BFS). It’s a frickin beautiful and amazingly built rod, detail-wise. I haven’t had a chance to take it out yet, though.

Isaiah20
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Isaiah20 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:06 am

1nutinthewater wrote:
mhood wrote:
1nutinthewater wrote:
mhood wrote:
1nutinthewater wrote:

Thats great news! I got tired of waiting! :lol:

Got to put in some serious hours using the Edge rod with the conquest and really enjoyed it. Landed many trout with the largest 3.5#. As soon as my carb gets rebuilt I am going for larger prey!
I ordered a few Major craft rods to try out next...........
What are you casting with the Edge? I am looking for a jerk bait/soft plastic rod for the fall when searching for big Driftless browns.

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:01 pm

Throwing 1/4 oz spinners and spoons with the Edge. Its a little stiff for that weight and does not load up much but still nearly spools the Conquest. Going to order the BWC 711-1 next as it is just a hair lighter and as light as they make.
I wish they made some trout sticks as their rods are the best I've used........

Isaiah20
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Isaiah20 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:39 pm

I had the First Strike 6’10” rod with the same ratings. No where near as light as you are thinking it is. You can have them build you a one off from any NFC blank though.