YouTube EnjoyFishing !!!!

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
CM_Stewart
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: YouTube EnjoyFishing !!!!

Post by CM_Stewart » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:11 am

waterone wrote:Fortunately, casting the sinking version of the Daiwa 5 Minnow, is readily castable and doesnt doesn’t spook fish - and I’ve been using them since I found them on EBay some years ago.
Daiwa has several versions of the sinking 5 minnow.
The Dr. Minnow comes in a 5S (3 grams) and a 5FS (fast sinking - 3.5 grams).
There is a jointed Dr. Minnow 5S (3 grams).
There is a Silver Creek Minnow 50S (4.5 grams).
There is a Wise Minnow 50S (5.2 grams).
There is a Wise MInnow 50HR (high response - 4 grams).

So far, I have used only the Dr. Minnow FS and the Silver Creek Minnow (plus the Dr. Minnow 5F (floating - 2.5 grams) and caught fish with all of them. I have not used them on particularly small streams, though.
Chris Stewart
(affiliations: TenkaraBum.com, Finesse-Fishing.com)

gillchaser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gillchaser » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:07 pm

When talking lure weights. Listing them in grams makes them sound like they are lighter than they really are .
A 5 gram lure is almost 3/16ths of an ounce . That’s a pretty heavy lure to be called UL IMO . 3.5 grams is around 1/8oz. About the upper end in UL .
Actually I consider UL to be under 1/16th ounce . That’s 1.772 grams .
F3 and F5 original Floating Rapala are 1/16th oz. Gillchaser

davidchas
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by davidchas » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:02 pm

I see him using a calcutta conquest bfs with an m-aire mb 63 mc, which is a boron infused blank. Very expensive... in fact he uses all high end tackle. To break down the rods designation mb=boron, 63=6'3'', mc= medium casting. I think his lures must range 2 - 14g 4-8 lb test. This is a trout rod and probably has a regular to regular/fast taper.

So, he using tradition trout lures and not what we would consider light to ultralight bfs lure weights.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:22 pm

davidchas wrote:I see him using a calcutta conquest bfs with an m-aire mb 63 mc, which is a boron infused blank. Very expensive... in fact he uses all high end tackle. To break down the rods designation mb=boron, 63=6'3'', mc= medium casting. I think his lures must range 2 - 14g 4-8 lb test. This is a trout rod and probably has a regular to regular/fast taper.

So, he using tradition trout lures and not what we would consider light to ultralight bfs lure weights.
He is using lures that are bigger than the purist would consider BFS but, nonetheless, the guy is a magician when it comes to casting.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

CM_Stewart
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by CM_Stewart » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:37 pm

What would a purist consider to be the weight range for BFS lures?

Is there a difference between the weight of BFS lures for bass fishing and for "Mountain Stream BFS" for trout?

Is mountain stream fishing for trout even considered to be BFS by the purists?
Chris Stewart
(affiliations: TenkaraBum.com, Finesse-Fishing.com)

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:28 pm

It's hard to get much below 1/8oz if you are using plastics, even a 3" senko and a tiny wacky hook is weight in at .142oz, so a little over 1/8oz. A J5 Rapala is .126oz, even a tiny little SK Bitsy Minnow is like .083oz, so in between 1/16-1/8oz.

People seem to think their fish are heavier and their lures lighter then they really are.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:03 pm

Houndfish wrote:It's hard to get much below 1/8oz if you are using plastics, even a 3" senko and a tiny wacky hook is weight in at .142oz, so a little over 1/8oz. A J5 Rapala is .126oz, even a tiny little SK Bitsy Minnow is like .083oz, so in between 1/16-1/8oz.

People seem to think their fish are heavier and their lures lighter then they really are.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:36 pm

I am so glad I bought a little dope scale before I got to serious about finesse fishing. It was really eye opening to start weighing lures and I am glad I didn't buy a bunch of gear based on what I thought all these little lures weighed.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:21 am

Houndfish wrote:I am so glad I bought a little dope scale before I got to serious about finesse fishing. It was really eye opening to start weighing lures and I am glad I didn't buy a bunch of gear based on what I thought all these little lures weighed.
I use my ex's weight watchers scale.

waterone
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by waterone » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:06 pm

I think people may not think about relative weights vs wind resistance.

A spoon my weight 3/16 of and ounce or a balsa plug weigh the same, but there is a considerable difference between the “castability” of the two lures. For most people even with spinning tackle accuractly casting a #5 Flotaing Rapala accurately is tough.

In wind resistance there is also the factor of actual shape and distribution of where the weight might be during the cast. Some Youzuri lures as well as other lure manufacturers make lures that use the movable weight rides to the rear of the lure making the lure more aerodynamic during the cast.

Probably the worst of thenplastic plugs was the old Flatfish, which cast like a malformed pancake, crossed with a potato chip, fluttering through the air. It looks positively insane in the water, but it was terrible to cast.

So for example a Youzuri 1/16 oz. Pins Minnow which is one of my favorite small stream plugs casts nothing like a 1.5 gr. spoon, and even the spoon casts much better than a 1/16 oz. Rooster Tail.

Even jigs can be deceptive, as a jig head with a grub or a marabou jig is considerably more aerodynamic then say a deer hair jig.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:17 pm

waterone wrote:I think people may not think about relative weights vs wind resistance.

A spoon my weight 3/16 of and ounce or a balsa plug weigh the same, but there is a considerable difference between the “castability” of the two lures. For most people even with spinning tackle accuractly casting a #5 Flotaing Rapala accurately is tough.

In wind resistance there is also the factor of actual shape and distribution of where the weight might be during the cast. Some Youzuri lures as well as other lure manufacturers make lures that use the movable weight rides to the rear of the lure making the lure more aerodynamic during the cast.

Probably the worst of thenplastic plugs was the old Flatfish, which cast like a malformed pancake, crossed with a potato chip, fluttering through the air. It looks positively insane in the water, but it was terrible to cast.

So for example a Youzuri 1/16 oz. Pins Minnow which is one of my favorite small stream plugs casts nothing like a 1.5 gr. spoon, and even the spoon casts much better than a 1/16 oz. Rooster Tail.

Even jigs can be deceptive, as a jig head with a grub or a marabou jig is considerably more aerodynamic then say a deer hair jig.
...agreed

JB in SC
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by JB in SC » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:57 am

I see the point in using heavier minnow plugs for high gradient small streams, low trajectory casting is easier. The Rapala Ultra Light Minnow might be a good choice, the 04 size weighs the same as the 06 size (1/8 oz). One of my friends swears by it for steambred rainbows.

The aerodynamics of the Rapala Ultra Light Minnow seem pretty good in comparison to the floating balsa versions.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:53 am

JB in SC wrote:I see the point in using heavier minnow plugs for high gradient small streams, low trajectory casting is easier. The Rapala Ultra Light Minnow might be a good choice, the 04 size weighs the same as the 06 size (1/8 oz). One of my friends swears by it for steambred rainbows.

The aerodynamics of the Rapala Ultra Light Minnow seem pretty good in comparison to the floating balsa versions.
Im a huge fan of the Rapala UL series. They cast well and run good too. Slap some simgle hooks and you're good to go

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Wed May 26, 2021 10:42 am

RIng wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:58 am
Hi. Is that a rod they use . I can not find it when I search . I may also try a XUL spinning blank.
Old message, but I think Anglo & Company is his favorite rod maker:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujmub9cW4tQ&t=43s

From video description:
(*)ロッド : アングロ&カンパニー【パラゴンG411】(カスタム仕様)
Translated:
(*) Rod: Anglo & Company [Paragon G411] (Custom specification)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Translated from Anglo & Co Paragon G411 description:

"Paragon G Series Bait Glass fiber 3 Piece model

As the mainstream of trout lure fishing became more competitive, I thought that there should be a free direction to enjoy more, which was the origin of this series. The Paragon G series is a companion for not only enjoying fishing, but also walking along the river, pointing the lens at the scenery that touched your heart, listening to the chirping of birds, and enjoying your day's fishing more abundantly. is. The G series uses an innovative blank made of UD glass (Unidirectional Glass Fiber Cloth), which consists of only longitudinal fibers. It enables a lightweight and slim design that is unthinkable with conventional glass blanks. And the biggest difference is that the sensitivity is very good. This is made possible by the fact that TIP to BUTT can be composed of only longitudinal fibers, just like the structure of bamboo, which can be said to be the ideal type of rod. In addition, the suppleness and stickiness peculiar to tubular glass brings good bite and difficulty in hooking, and creates a comfortable and relaxed rhythm. You should be able to swim the handmade minnow naturally, retrieve while feeling the movement of the spoon and spinner clearly, and feel the joy of mastering the rod. Yes, the most important thing I want to tell you is that it is a "very fun rod". Paragon G series is NEW THINKING for trout bums who want to enjoy more fishing.

MODEL LENGTH SECTIONS LURE LINE Grip overall length / reel center position (from the end) PRICE (excluding tax)

PGB4113 4'11'' 3 1-5g 2-5lb 249mm / 152mm ¥ 76,000
PGB5113 5'11'' 3 1-7g 2-6lb 287mm / 202mm ¥ 79,000

・ Uses Portuguese 3A cork
-Uses original reel sheet (black rose bar) and butt end (aluminum machine cut)
・ Titanium torzite guide original setting
・ Serial number included"