YouTube EnjoyFishing !!!!

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
RIng
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

YouTube EnjoyFishing !!!!

Post by RIng » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:29 am

I came across this in a thread on here . It is in Japaneses . The fishing is great in it . I guess you would call it BFS trout fishing . I am intrigued by the casting in the videos . It would appear to me that the rods could be built on light fly rod blanks . I build a few fiberglass fly rods and have a 6' 3 wt. 3 pice McFarland blank that I have not built on . I would build as 6' or remove 6" off the butt and build as a 5'6" . Has any one done this ? I know some build UL crappie rods on fly blanks . Thanks

fffishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: YouTube EnjoyFishing !!!!

Post by fffishing » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:33 am

Hey buddy! :o It's good to see somebody,who is interesting same things :D I have a couple glass fly blanks(#3,6'6" and #4,7'6")four ps each(to easily transform to length what will needed.Just ordering components now...Will see!
And about EnjoyFishing... He use some special rods,-take a look on "Casket MSB 55 MT Mark Spider"
ps...How about Abu2500 tuned? :shock: :mrgreen:

RIng
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by RIng » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:58 am

Hi. Is that a rod they use . I can not find it when I search . I may also try a XUL spinning blank .

masterbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by masterbass » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:24 am

That guy is an artist. I really wish there were english subtitles. The japanese really know how to make an activity look so fun.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:12 am

I found that channel while looking for reviews on the Conquest BFS, that guy is an insanely good caster. Some of the slow-mo shots of him casting a plug into a tiny little hole in cover make my brain hurt.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:49 am

That guy is a magician!

RIng
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by RIng » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:47 am

It is a joy to watch him fish . I love fishing small Mt. streams for brook trout . I am going to try and use BFS casting this coming year . Good fishing to all .

waterone
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by waterone » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:03 pm

He is an exceptional caster, that’s for sure. He can also catch fish, not just cast lures.

Some years ago, I tried making some UL baitcaster out of #3 and #4 fly rod blanks, both fiberglass and graphite. It didn’t go so well for me, but. I was using Daiwa Pixy’s and heavily customized (and heavy, but extremley freerunning and controllable) along with first gereration Shimano Scorpions. Changing the guides to spinning guides made good UL spinning rods.
Something about the taper made getting my casting stroke not right. I thought it was because it didn’t have enough “tip flex.” Well, I found an older model Berkeley Lightning rod, 4.5’ long, I think I remember that has a real fast and light tip. For me that rod was terrible. So it wasn’t “tip action” I guess.
Now today, with considerably more refined reels such as the new Shimano Scotpion BFS reels, the Daiwa’s SS Air and Abu’s maybe a fly rod will work, but I’d go into it slowly, as a according to AFTM, a 3 weight is designed to cast a 30’ section of line, weighing 100 grains or approximately 1/4 oz. so a 3 weight flyrod is what we’d call a light, not UL spinning rod.
A 0 weight fly rod (yep, they have 0,00 and even 000 weight rods and flylines) gets you down to a little below 60 grains or 0.125 oz. which is only 1/8 oz.
But, I have used a 7’ UL rod and successfully cast a 3 wgt. Flyline and it really should have been near overweighted. Go figure.

RIng
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by RIng » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:07 am

I think you are right about the tapper of a fly rod being wrong . A XUL spinning blank might be better . I may try a o wt. graphite fly rod blank . ???????

waterone
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by waterone » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:04 am

A 0 weight blank for a spinning rod? I’ve never heard of it being done. I’m past my rod building stage, primarily due to health problems but it might be interesting. The only 1 weight fly rod I ever had was an Orvis. It casted well enough, but was pretty well limited to less than size 14 drys and soft hackles. It really didn’t handle weighted nymphs for me, but a better cast, probably could do it.

The biggest issue is that for graphite rods, I think only Sage and Orvis produce rods in those really light weights. There may be some fiberglass rods produced in sub 2 weights, but I don’t know.

Whatever you do, a big fish will be fun(!?!?) - some years ago I caught an about 10 lb carp on a 1/128 oz jig and a XUL rod, with 2 lb. he took me all over the place trying to keep the 2 lb line from being snagged, however 2lb. Trilene Line 12-15 years ago was really 4 to 6 lb line if the JDM line diameters are to be believed.

Please don’t let anything I’ve said dissuade you from experimenting - if we don t expand the boundary’s how do we know what 5hey really are, plus your probably more skilled than I and the reels and lines of today are much better.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:17 am

I use a Phenix Mirage as my Ultralight BFS rod paired with an 16 Aldebaran BFS XG with a KTF spool. That rod is loads of fun and can handle some light weights. It's parabolic but, casts crisp and without being sloppy
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

gillchaser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gillchaser » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:47 pm

I have a 5’4” UL casting rod from a one piece UL spinning blank I had built for fishing with a Zebco Omega Z02 UL spincasting reel .
I tried it using a Daiwa Exceler baitcasting reel . I could throw small spinnerbaits and crankbaits and some weightless plastics , but not any real distance.
In these videos , it looks like he’s throwing 3 1/2” minnow baits , Which I believe would be 3/16-3/8 oz . Those would be easier to cast than what I’ve been trying to throw . Would cast with less effort too . I’ll have to give them a try .
Not saying I cast like the guy in the videos , he definitely knows his equipment and how to use it . And how to catch em , even if he’s fishing a private stream . Not sure I’d call how he’s fishing UL . Gillchaser

waterone
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by waterone » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:36 pm

I asked a Japanese friend (who is actually in Taiwan now) if he could identify some of the weights and lures, specifically.
From previous conversations, I had been informed that the lures typically used were JDM (of course) trout specific baits.

While my Japanese is non-existent, and my correspondents English is much better, we had to work through equivalent lures.

From what I got is that the plugs typically used in Trout Fishing were almost almost between 2 grams and 5 grams at the greatest. In US lure availability would be the largest lures as the 1/8 oz. Pins Minnow, and the various Dawia 5 FS and 5S lures. Given those sizes, generally fishing like that would not often exceed 1/4 oz, and that would be rare. I know in Southern Appalachian streams, looking very much like these Japanese free-stone streams if I cast a no. 5 singing Rapala, which I believe weighs less than 3/8 oz. I’d ru; fish out of small pools and runs he’s shown fishing.. In heavily fished streams, here in the NC mountains and Tenn, the 1/8 oz, floating Pins Minnow is often too heavy. Fortunately, casting the sinking version of the Daiwa 5 Minnow, is readily castable and doesnt doesn’t spook fish - and I’ve been using them since I found them on EBay some years ago. I used to know what they weighed but I don’t think the weight is close to 3/8 of an oz. I choose to use a tuned Abu 1500C, whereas he uses a presumably tuned 2500c baitcaster. I would like some confirmation of the exact lure, and I’m sure 5here are some people on this board who could readily identify th3 specific lure, but I’d say that his casting and fishing is closer to the UL technique of Area Trout fishing than not.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:09 pm

waterone wrote:I asked a Japanese friend (who is actually in Taiwan now) if he could identify some of the weights and lures, specifically.
From previous conversations, I had been informed that the lures typically used were JDM (of course) trout specific baits.

While my Japanese is non-existent, and my correspondents English is much better, we had to work through equivalent lures.

From what I got is that the plugs typically used in Trout Fishing were almost almost between 2 grams and 5 grams at the greatest. In US lure availability would be the largest lures as the 1/8 oz. Pins Minnow, and the various Dawia 5 FS and 5S lures. Given those sizes, generally fishing like that would not often exceed 1/4 oz, and that would be rare. I know in Southern Appalachian streams, looking very much like these Japanese free-stone streams if I cast a no. 5 singing Rapala, which I believe weighs less than 3/8 oz. I’d ru; fish out of small pools and runs he’s shown fishing.. In heavily fished streams, here in the NC mountains and Tenn, the 1/8 oz, floating Pins Minnow is often too heavy. Fortunately, casting the sinking version of the Daiwa 5 Minnow, is readily castable and doesnt doesn’t spook fish - and I’ve been using them since I found them on EBay some years ago. I used to know what they weighed but I don’t think the weight is close to 3/8 of an oz. I choose to use a tuned Abu 1500C, whereas he uses a presumably tuned 2500c baitcaster. I would like some confirmation of the exact lure, and I’m sure 5here are some people on this board who could readily identify th3 specific lure, but I’d say that his casting and fishing is closer to the UL technique of Area Trout fishing than not.
If not mistaken I saw him thrwoing a zip bait rigge. They make tons of sizes and they throw beautifully and hold well in swift current. Duo makes 80sp that is a killer bait as well.
Other baits to look at for small profile and cast better thantheir weights would suggest
Lucky craftwanders
Lucky craft stream drive
jackal sierra minnow (jdm smaller sizes)

RIng
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by RIng » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:20 am

Up home I fish small Mt. streams for brook trout , and lower farm streams for browns and rainbows . I fish some bigger streams and ponds also . I was thinking he might be using more than 1/8 or 3/16 oz. I would like to use the small jigs I tie for UL and XUL spinning . I allso fish a small 1/64 -- 1/100 and smaller under a small float some times . I have a Teton SUL on the way and have a Trout One NS now . If I sell some more toys I may get a Conquest BFS and try some different blanks to build a rod for the Mt. fishing . It will be very interesting the next year or two . Good fishing all !!!