ultra light casting rod?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: ultra light casting rod?

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:36 pm

waterone wrote:I've got three Kuying Teton rods, that I was able to pick up during a sale almost a year ago.

IMO, you don't really want the TTC 662, which is more of a "bass" BFS rod, using a 6'6" rod in stream tunnels is pretty tough, at least for me.

The other two rods are more what might be termed Trout BFS rods, one specifically might be designed as what I think would be called a Mountain Stream Trout rod - the Kuying Teton TTC 552, a rod 5' 2" in length, which is effective for casting tiny spoon, spinners, jigs and weighted flys, usually nymphs in small crowded streams for trout, bass and panfish.

It's rated for lures 0.8 to 3 gr, line weights 1 to 3 lb test.

There is somewhat of a compromise rod to some degree, there is another Kuying Teton, the 632, which is like a longer version of the 522. The TTC 632 is 6'3" in length, rated 1-4 gr, lines 2-4 lines.

The 632, with its length it can cast further distances, but is hard to cast in the aforementioned "stream tunnels."

Either one handles trout and panfish pretty well, but my biggest fish on the 522 was a smallmouth caught in a small river that measured around 17" and was a handful on 4lb line.

In my case, i like to use it with a Daiwa SS Air, but the Pixy with a BFS spool would do pretty well.
How low can you cast with the 5'2 SUL? I'm looking to get a new stream BFS rod. I'm thinking either this:
https://m.aliexpress.com/s/item/3282080 ... b#autostay

The solid tip, ferrel at handle, and length appeal to me. I am wondering if it would be more finesse that the 5'2" SUL Teton. I see the Teton is rated lower but, that doesn't usually tell the whole story.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

waterone
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by waterone » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:27 am

Personally I don’t really like slow rods for accurate casting, or at least I don’t cast as accurately, but that may br personal preference. I also haven’t casted that rod.

The Teton 5’2” is more of a progressive action rod, I have easily cast spoons and spinners and plugs down to 1.5 gr. I’ve used mostly with a Daiwa SS Air. Also I’ve cast one of the smaller 1/16 oz YoZuri Pins minnows pretty well, as often using heavily weight nymphs.

I don’t find it “noodlely” at all, the taper shows a define progressive arc.

One interesting incident, I had the opportunity of fishing a medium sized river with the above combo for an unplanned excursion, as the rod/reel were already in the car, and caught an approx. 3 lb. smallmouth bass on the combination. The reel did well, the rod actually handled it, but it was “exciting” to say the least. I never felt out of control at all, but I think asking the little Teton to handle a 3lb. Smallmouth at the end of a 55-60’ cast is out of its design envelop. Casting in tiny tunnels of brush, on small streams is more like its design.

Finally, it’s nothing like the short Ugly Sticks and baitcasting “crappie Rods” often seen in the giant catalogs, it is more like a JDM trout rod than its other “Made in China” rods. Plus, I bought when it was on sale and got it from AliExpress for less than $50.

masterbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by masterbass » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:13 pm

waterone wrote:Personally I don’t really like slow rods for accurate casting, or at least I don’t cast as accurately, but that may br personal preference. I also haven’t casted that rod.

The Teton 5’2” is more of a progressive action rod, I have easily cast spoons and spinners and plugs down to 1.5 gr. I’ve used mostly with a Daiwa SS Air. Also I’ve cast one of the smaller 1/16 oz YoZuri Pins minnows pretty well, as often using heavily weight nymphs.

I don’t find it “noodlely” at all, the taper shows a define progressive arc.

One interesting incident, I had the opportunity of fishing a medium sized river with the above combo for an unplanned excursion, as the rod/reel were already in the car, and caught an approx. 3 lb. smallmouth bass on the combination. The reel did well, the rod actually handled it, but it was “exciting” to say the least. I never felt out of control at all, but I think asking the little Teton to handle a 3lb. Smallmouth at the end of a 55-60’ cast is out of its design envelop. Casting in tiny tunnels of brush, on small streams is more like its design.

Finally, it’s nothing like the short Ugly Sticks and baitcasting “crappie Rods” often seen in the giant catalogs, it is more like a JDM trout rod than its other “Made in China” rods. Plus, I bought when it was on sale and got it from AliExpress for less than $50.
This is what I'm wanting to hear. I'm going to put my pixy/diy spool or t3mx/diy spool. I'm looking forward to trying out some trout fishing this spring. One more question, I keep reading about buying under $50 on sale. When do they go on sale and how do I find out about the sales?

waterone
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by waterone » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:22 pm

As far as I know, just periodically checking the AliExpress website.

waterone
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by waterone » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:32 pm

I just checked the AliExpress app and there are a couple Kuying Teton baicaters (and spinning) rods for sale now, with prices ranging from $52- $53 and shipping is stated on the site as $1.99.

According to the site, it shows a 25% off for Mobile only. So the discount really is only for those ordering via the Aiiexpress app, I guess.

Ordering on the app isn’t as intuitive as with some apps, however.

Strewth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Strewth » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:19 am

For a bit of fun I ordered the Tsurinoya Proflex II, 1.89m C632UL which is rated for lure weights 2-8g. For a US$68 2-piece rod shipped via EMS, I was surprised at the finish - the epoxy work was clean, the cork was as good, and the Fuji reel seat and guides were all perfectly aligned. The blank is dead straight and has a fast, crisp action with a solid tip to the 5th guide. Loads up great on the light stuff (>3 g). Specs on the rod can be found here

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/produc ... c3c5lVt7gp

No time on the water with it yet, but it will easily throw a 1/8 oz jig head around 25m with a Steez A (1012SV G1 spool) and 30lb braid. Will throw a 3g small hardbody minnow about 15 m. No doubt these distances will improve by running lighter (6 or 8 lb) braid. For finesse work, I usually use a custom North Fork FW702-1/Brenious or a Stella C2000S/Heartland Saegake combo, but the Tsurinoya/Steez A outfit is an impressive alternative for the UL class.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:22 pm

Strewth wrote:For a bit of fun I ordered the Tsurinoya Proflex II, 1.89m C632UL which is rated for lure weights 2-8g. For a US$68 2-piece rod shipped via EMS, I was surprised at the finish - the epoxy work was clean, the cork was as good, and the Fuji reel seat and guides were all perfectly aligned. The blank is dead straight and has a fast, crisp action with a solid tip to the 5th guide. Loads up great on the light stuff (>3 g). Specs on the rod can be found here

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/produc ... c3c5lVt7gp

No time on the water with it yet, but it will easily throw a 1/8 oz jig head around 25m with a Steez A (1012SV G1 spool) and 30lb braid. Will throw a 3g small hardbody minnow about 15 m. No doubt these distances will improve by running lighter (6 or 8 lb) braid. For finesse work, I usually use a custom North Fork FW702-1/Brenious or a Stella C2000S/Heartland Saegake combo, but the Tsurinoya/Steez A outfit is an impressive alternative for the UL class.
Not bad for a solid carbon tip UL rod. Good find. You might want to try some gliss or nanofill on a BFS spool like a DIY of you want more distance with the lighter baits.