ultra light casting rod?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
masterbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

ultra light casting rod?

Post by masterbass » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:08 pm

This is a new world to me, but I do have some BFS reels and rods. I want to get into stream trout fishing with the occasional lake pan fishing. My reel for the time being would be a pixy with diy spool. Lures would trout magnet, inline spinners, micro cranks, beetle spins, etc. Probably in the 2-5 gram range. I have no idea about rods though. What would be a good all around choice in the kuying line? What other rods should I look into that fairly inexpensive?

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: ultra light casting rod?

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:22 pm

From what I read, the Kuying Teton looks good for the money. I have never used it though. I know some others with experience can chime in. You may want something shorter. I know streams where I live have thick brush and awkward casting angles. I use this for my stream rod (the 4ft): http://www.stopperlures.com/whipr_rods3.html

It has more give than the picture leads on. It does have a "backbone" too. The rod like no more than 30 bucks and has a nice taper for quick, low trajectory casts. I know it's a spinning rod but, the stripper guide is small enough for a baitcaster.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

masterbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by masterbass » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:16 am

Would the Teton 662L be a good all-around choice for hard and soft baits? Will I be able to cast trout magnets with my pixy/diy spool?

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:35 am

masterbass wrote:Would the Teton 662L be a good all-around choice for hard and soft baits? Will I be able to cast trout magnets with my pixy/diy spool?
I have an UL Teton casting rod and while it will load and cast 1/16oz inline spinners pretty well, I cannot get it to load a trout slayer on a 1/64oz head. It is also very very soft and I have trouble making hooksets on non-moving baits. I am casually hunting up a UL fast or extra fast spinning rod to complement it, but have not settled on anything yet.

Don't get me wrong,the UL Teton is a wonderful rod for tiny spinners, spoons, and cranks. It has a surprising bit of power, this is my largest fish so far on it, a LMB of about 1-1.5lbs.
It handled him amazingly well, I was running 4lb line and at no point was I worried about it, the rod has a nice deep bend before it hits the backbone.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:14 am

masterbass wrote:Would the Teton 662L be a good all-around choice for hard and soft baits? Will I be able to cast trout magnets with my pixy/diy spool?
Maybe. The 662L is rated down to 2 gram but I don't like fishing rods right at their low limit. I would think an UL Teton would be a better fit. My experience with the DIY spools are that they are great at 1/16 oz and up but I prefer a linear mag brake for the really light stuff. For a Pixy a Presso spool or other fixed inductor might be a better, more controlled option. Don't laugh, but I have an Abu Black Max 3 with a Studio of Momo UL BFS spool that is right up there with my Zonda and MB BFS spool when it comes to UL baits.

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by earthworm77 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:24 am

I have the 662 Teton UL. It is a rod that is decent for small moving baits like spinners, small open hooked swimbaits and crankbaits. I wouldn't expect it to be too good with plastics and jigs. It lacks a serious tip or much of a solid backbone for setting the hook.

masterbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by masterbass » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:03 pm

How would a volkey ul fare as a trout stick?

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by earthworm77 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:46 pm

I'd say the 652ul is more suited for bass than trout. Much faster than a typical SUL trout rod.

waterone
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by waterone » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:41 pm

I've got three Kuying Teton rods, that I was able to pick up during a sale almost a year ago.

IMO, you don't really want the TTC 662, which is more of a "bass" BFS rod, using a 6'6" rod in stream tunnels is pretty tough, at least for me.

The other two rods are more what might be termed Trout BFS rods, one specifically might be designed as what I think would be called a Mountain Stream Trout rod - the Kuying Teton TTC 552, a rod 5' 2" in length, which is effective for casting tiny spoon, spinners, jigs and weighted flys, usually nymphs in small crowded streams for trout, bass and panfish.

It's rated for lures 0.8 to 3 gr, line weights 1 to 3 lb test.

There is somewhat of a compromise rod to some degree, there is another Kuying Teton, the 632, which is like a longer version of the 522. The TTC 632 is 6'3" in length, rated 1-4 gr, lines 2-4 lines.

The 632, with its length it can cast further distances, but is hard to cast in the aforementioned "stream tunnels."

Either one handles trout and panfish pretty well, but my biggest fish on the 522 was a smallmouth caught in a small river that measured around 17" and was a handful on 4lb line.

In my case, i like to use it with a Daiwa SS Air, but the Pixy with a BFS spool would do pretty well.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:16 pm

earthworm77 wrote:I'd say the 652ul is more suited for bass than trout. Much faster than a typical SUL trout rod.
Agree 100%. I only have my 65UL because the original owner felt it was a poor fit for tout and I was able to inquire then acquire.

Warhawk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Warhawk » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:31 pm

I’ve got the rod for this, it’s a Team Daiwa X JDM rod.

What reel I should I get? I prefer Daiwa

waterone
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by waterone » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:49 pm

From what I know from Asian anglers, if you want to stick to new Daiwas, there are three; Daiwa SS Air, Daiwa Alphas Air and Daiwa Steez SV TWS. You may also be able to get someone me of the shallow BFS spools for the Daiwa Tatula and some others.

If you aren’t limited to new reels, there are a bunch more, principally some form of modified and tuned Pixy.

There are others such as Shimano, Abu Garcia, even some modified Ambassadeurs, of course.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:21 pm

Warhawk wrote:I’ve got the rod for this, it’s a Team Daiwa X JDM rod.

What reel I should I get? I prefer Daiwa
If you prefer Daiwa, the Alphas AIR is a great bang for your buck reel.

If you have some Daiwa reels already, you could check out the DIY spools on AliExpress. Good BFS spools for the money.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

waterone
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by waterone » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:26 pm

Agreed the Alphas Air is a great reel. And it isn’t the most expensive BFS reel out there, but it is one of the best values. It is my favorite Mountain Trout reel, easily handle spoons down to 1.6 gr. And Pins minnows, it think the weight on the Pins is 1/16 oz.

RIng
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by RIng » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:54 am

I have a Trout One NS and a Scorpion BFS . I have a Major Craft Benkie 652UL and a Teton SUL on order with a Alphas Air . I will use them all down here in Md. on perch and smaller Rocks . My main use will be NE trout fishing . Good fishing to all !!