Phenix PHX-C682 = BFS rod

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Phenix PHX-C682 = BFS rod

Post by freelancer27 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:12 am

Hi,

I am in the market for a BFS rod that can truly throw 1/16oz lures (with my Aldebaran BFS). Given the USD market is VERY light on such rods I am wondering if the Phenix Bass Recon Elite Casting Rod 6'8" Light (which is rated 1/16-3/8oz) is capable of throwing such light lures as lets say a fully dedicated BFS rod.

Would be great to get some thoughts on this? Or hear other recommendations that are below the 200 USD price point.

THanks!

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Phenix PHX-C682 = BFS rod

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:04 pm

Custom would probably be your best best. Even a rod rated for 1/16oz can struggle with that weight.

I have a lot of time with the 16 Alderbaran BFS and with the stick spool, it is not going to launch 1/16oz baits like you want...unless you have a UL moderate rod. I use a custom Phenix Mirage and casting 1/16oz with a stock 16 Aldebaran is at the combo''s low end (not ideal).

Now, with the KTF spool, the combo is capable of a decent amount more. 1/16 is like it's sweet spot now.

I generally throw tiny hard baits or ice jigs with small plastic trailer, both of which are aerodynamic. I run 2lb Nanofil with a 6lb leader.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:40 pm

Yes it will

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:44 pm

ccass wrote:Custom would probably be your best best. Even a rod rated for 1/16oz can struggle with that weight.

I have a lot of time with the 16 Alderbaran BFS and with the stick spool, it is not going to launch 1/16oz baits like you want...unless you have a UL moderate rod. I use a custom Phenix Mirage and casting 1/16oz with a stock 16 Aldebaran is at the combo''s low end (not ideal).

Now, with the KTF spool, the combo is capable of a decent amount more. 1/16 is like it's sweet spot now.

I generally throw tiny hard baits or ice jigs with small plastic trailer, both of which are aerodynamic. I run 2lb Nanofil with a 6lb leader.
Thanks for you reply!

I think I am opting for the Benkei UL that is rated 1/32 -1/4. THat should do it?!

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:56 am

I've had both the 682 and 683. I could toss a 1/16 oz Ned head or wacky jig with small plastic with the 683 and the right reel. The 682 will no doubt load and cast what you want. I feel pretty confident saying you will be getting a better blank with the Recon. The Benkie is Major Crafts budget, entry level stick. Don't get too caught up in the ratings. Just find the right rod.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:16 am

I feel the taper plays a factor as well. I have a blank that is rated 1/32oz ot 1/4oz. The taper is extra fast and there is NO way that rod will cast 1/16oz plus a small Ned trailer.

The weight of the plastic is a huge contributor to the ability to cast. They weigh a lot more than people think. Once you start getting into the darker realm of BFS, you will understand how important the shape and "density" of a lure affects your casting.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:54 am

ccass wrote:I feel the taper plays a factor as well. I have a blank that is rated 1/32oz ot 1/4oz. The taper is extra fast and there is NO way that rod will cast 1/16oz plus a small Ned trailer.

The weight of the plastic is a huge contributor to the ability to cast. They weigh a lot more than people think. Once you start getting into the darker realm of BFS, you will understand how important the shape and "density" of a lure affects your casting.
Very true regarding the taper. Most true Bfs rods do not have a stiff tip section. They will actually load up on the cast with those light baits, have a relatively deep bend, yet still shut off before reaching noodle status while retaining some decent power in the lower section. If you have a rod blank that does all this and feels crisp, you have a winner.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:43 am

I have a Phenix Recon2 682 with the same 1/16-3/8 rating. A 1/16oz inline spinner will not really load the tip, but you can get it to cast with a good reel and 4lb mono. I use the rod for "plastics lighter then a senko" and cranks/jerks in the 1/4-3/8oz range. It is very versatile but I fished it almost exclusively last spring with a 5" zoom lizard on a 1/16oz slider head, it is an amazing rod for finesse t-rigs. It will cast a 3/16oz Ned rig well enough, but since I use it more as a "light general purpose" rod, I keep 10lb floro on it, so in my specific case true light weight performance suffers.

My only complaint with the rod is the reel seat, it is uncomfortable for my grip, but a bit of self-sealing vinyl tape took care of that. A lot of the time I wish it was 3-4" shorter, but like the blank enough that I am thinking of having a custom built on it, but fished at 6'4" or somewhere around that dim.

robchik04
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by robchik04 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:09 am

I've been using a Phenix K2 713 for my BFS needs, mostly ned rigs. The top of the lure weight rating (5/8) in my opinion really pushes it. I've done some light split shotting with it as well. It's really sensitive and fun swinging it around with the Aldy BFS.
robchik.com

Isaiah20
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Isaiah20 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:02 pm

I have been thinking about buying a 682 for a Trout jerkabait rod in the driftless. I have a Daiwa SS Air that I would put 5lb Sunline Sniper on.