Trout baits?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Trout baits?

Post by LowRange » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:11 pm

I'm going to give trout fishing a try this fall. I've got small pit lake that is stocked with trout nearby that I want to give a go. I'm not sure what baits I sould be bringing with me. I was going to throw a ned rig for deeper fish and tiny x slayer for shallow but would like recommendations on other baits. I don't really know what I'm doing. Any pit pond trout fishing tips would be appreciated as well.

Here are the rods I have available to use.

Kuying Leadership L 1/16 to 1/4
Kuyijg Teton 2 to 10 g
Super Trickster UL ? to 1/4
Majorcraft Volkey UL 1/32 1/4

fffishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Trout baits?

Post by fffishing » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:11 pm

Is that trout farm of wild lake?

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:56 pm

Trout Magnet...2# test line......2# test fluorocarbon leader and a size “B” split shot.

Regards

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:17 pm

You're in for some fun. I'd throw a good old fashion Acme Kastmaster. They've been around for ages and do they ever catch fish. Trout love them (I've even caught Bass on them but don't tell anybody) you really can't go wrong. They're durable as a rock, cheap, easy to find, nothing not to like. Grab a selection of 1/8th ounce, some silver, some gold.

Keep in mind Trout have soft mouths, don't set the hook just reel faster and you're good. Insofar as test, I'm not one to play around. I used to be once upon a time but not anymore. Gamble 2lb test if you wish. Personally, I'd go true 6lb and be done with it, but anything between either could suffice. I get the visibility thing but stocker fish don't have a clue what line is so I wouldn't sweat it. And don't kid yourself, there will be some in there larger than you think.
PEACE

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:09 am

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm a newb at this. How do dropping water temps and post cold fronts affect trout in these ponds? Is is similar to other cold water fish like pike and musky in that it does not negatively affect their behavior and often 'activates' them by pushing them shallow or does it suppress the bite like with bass?

Inspectorlee
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Inspectorlee » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:03 am

LowRange wrote:Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm a newb at this. How do dropping water temps and post cold fronts affect trout in these ponds? Is is similar to other cold water fish like pike and musky in that it does not negatively affect their behavior and often 'activates' them by pushing them shallow or does it suppress the bite like with bass?
Trout like cold water. The dropping temps will increase their roaming range so they will come shallow to pick off leftover baitfish and underwater bugs from the shallow vegetation. I fish a reservoir that only allows shore fishing and the trout fishing only really picks up in the fall when the water is cooler because they all go deep during the hot summer months, beyond the range of shore casting.

Schlag
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Schlag » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:01 am

I've trout fished in cold spring fed lakes, rivers/tribs, Lake Michigan, & Lake Ontario. I don't believe trout are affected by cold fronts. They get more active when the water cools down, and slow down when the water gets too warm.

Not an expert on trout ponds, but I would start out with small suspending jerkbaits, in-line spinners, spoons, & trout magnets.

Last winter, i really got hooked on watching Japan trout fishing videos. The Native videos seem to be better than the Area videos.

Check out the videos in the trout section of Jackson's website. I wish Jackson's Native Kawasemi Rhapsody casting rods had the same color blanks as their AR - Area Models. I would pick up one in a second.
http://www.jackson.jp/
http://www.smith.jp/html/03-trouttacle.html

Here's a few youtube links.
https://youtu.be/91z7I-NXsu0
https://youtu.be/e6HU9Tfd2C8
https://youtu.be/U2CZGWAEeAg
https://youtu.be/XDEHgr32fpY

Good luck, and have fun.

southpaw619
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by southpaw619 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:27 am

What is the depth and visibility?

I have the bottom three rods you listed. Out of those rods I would have a hard time ever putting the trickster down. The Teton L can be a fun Panther Martin or Bitsy minnow rod and the Volkey may be fun with soft plastics around an 1/8th. However the Trickster is a stud and a trout slaying machine. I usually sight fish with plastics ranging from .8 g to 4.5 g. Some favorite easily attainable domestic offerings are Hook Up Baits, Berkley power worms or Bobby Garland baits paired with trout magnet heads.

Here's two vids of the Trickster UL
https://youtu.be/TOhSVIedvmE
https://youtu.be/joQtJBjwnPU

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:21 am

Thanks for the replies everyone. I look forward to fishing for trout this year. It's nice know that dropping temps and cold fronts of October won't negatively effect trout as much as they do my bass fishing. Fish moving shallow to feed off dying baitfish is something I did not consider. The 3'' Megabass X layer should be a good imitation of a dying baitfish and I have a few packages from ichiban I haven't done anything with since I bought them. I'm going to give trout slayers a try too as well as inline spinners.

Glad to see you're still fishing the Trickster UL southpaw. I look forward to getting some trout behind that rod. I'm ashamed to admit that mine has been in the rod locker since May.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:17 am

If the lake you'll be fishing is shallow (<7-10 ft) then go for inline spinners (Mepps and Panther Martin). I have yet to find better trout lures.
I also like jerkbaits/minnows/rapalas, which sure tempt the trout, but hook-ups are not as good as with mepps/pm.
If the lake is deep then throw in some spoons, eg kastmaster, and soft baits.

slime king
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by slime king » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:02 am

In the upper Midwest roostertail spinners,kastmaster spoons and little Cleo spoons are all you typically need. The 1/16 oz roostertail in black/ silver or skunk is hard to beat for a spinner. Kastmaster in 1/12-1/8 chrome and gold seem to be best. Last if there are larger trout stocked the little Cleo in 1/8 oz seems to really work well. For some reason the gold/maroon color had been the top producer for me.

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:34 pm

if there are brown trout around bigger than 20" or so, give the blue/silver old school ripplin redfin a shot!
1-2%

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:40 pm

No trout so far. I fished an urban spring fed pit pond on the edge of town that has been stocked with rainbow and brook trout. I did catch a few dink bass on a panther martin inline spinner and rebel tiny pop r. I'll give it another go later in the fall and certainly intend to fish it fron the bank (it's tiny) early season. I enjoyed myself. I was able to fish on a beautiful day near the loess hills. I saw a few small trout follow a tiny x layer back to the kayak and nibble on the tail but no takers. All fish were caught on the Teton 662L and BM3 BFS

Edit: Brook trout. Not Brown trout.
Last edited by LowRange on Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by angry john » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:52 pm

Duo cranks the tiny shad ones there money. Small keitech swimbaits on jig heads. I also catch a few on 4" weightless worms in watermelon red flake.
My best producer is a kvd squarebill 1.0 in bluegill. I also caught a 5lb brown on that lure in a 1.5. Larger trout love cranks. Harder to find now I also slay them on the yo-zuri pins minnow.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:30 pm

I know $3.00 baits aren't looked too fondly on in these parts, but the Berkely Flicker Shad in the smallest # 4 (approx 1/8 oz) is a fish catching machine, I've had several trout crush them.