UL/L Spinning Combo

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

UL/L Spinning Combo

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:56 am

So I have just about all I need for casting gear, including ML all the way to Heavier rods. I have some lighter spinning equipment also, just not low enough to cast 1/16 jigheads with little bobby garland straight/paddle tails (2" minnows) or micro cranks. For now I am considering buying an Abu Vigilante 5'6" Light from Wal-Mart and just using and old Orra S30 w/ 8lb PowerPro. I really like UL/L fishing though and don't want to go the super cheap route. I also think the Orra S30 would work, but be WAY to heavy (over 8oz) and balance poorly. I don't have to go down to UL, but if it would be better I can, my dad has an old Kadian (no info on the brand) 2 piece light rod that works great with a tiny Mitchell reel (with 4 pound Fireline). Only problem with the combo is it is very unrefined and almost junker status. I would like to stay 6' or under, just need a combo for bream and little fish.

I could use my Revo STX20 with super light braid and buy a better reel for my ML, or I can buy an actual 1000 size spinning. I am still kicking myself for not buying a Stradic Ci4+ 1000Micro Line FA when they were on sale for cheap, now I would just need a better rod. Reel I would spend $150-200 max and rod I would prefer around $100 but can go a bit further if necessary.

Inspectorlee
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: UL/L Spinning Combo

Post by Inspectorlee » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:55 am

Are you asking for recommendations? Your post doesn't make it clear what your point is. If you go the used route, I'm thinking you could save a bit of money. I have a setup similar to what you seem to be trying to put together: a Fenwick River Runner (6'9" two piece) and a Stradic Ci4 1000 (1st generation) that are paired together, but I haven't used it in over a year. I thought that I would do a lot more trout fishing than I actually do. And when I do decide to target trout, I grab my ML dropshot rod instead; it's become my go-to rod that I leave in the car for emergency fishing sessions. :lol:

You have a wide variety of options given your budget honestly. Fenwick does make a 5'8" two piece River Runner that is under your 6' rod requirement for example. MSRP is $150, but you might be able to find it for cheaper if you look around. As for 1000 size reels, I only have experience with the Stradic Ci4 mentioned above and a Stradic FK that I bought 6 months ago. Both are nice reels but I realize that I shouldn't have bought them because I do way more bass fishing than ultralight fishing and the 2500 size is a much better fit for me. Good luck with your search, it sounds like a fun journey to get your combo pieced together.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:09 am

Yea I am sorry about that, I get to typing and am bad about run on sentences. But yes I wanted some suggestions, I really would prefer a 1 piece rof new. I really like the TFO rods. They have a 6'9" light for sale at a local store, it had a good progressive action, but I am not sure about the length. I really don't have a problem with the Walmart special Abu, but it will look funny with a nicer reel on it (I'm a reel junky worse than anything else). I could have found the micro line stradic ci4+ for cheap and with a $50 rod stayed under $200. I would love to try the newest Ci4+ FB but hate for it to be my nicest spinning setup... can you use a 20/2500 size confidently on a L/UL rod??? The revo STX20 is only 6.8oz, I actually like it, but it feels hindered by big smallmouth.

wolfewiz
Angler
Angler

Post by wolfewiz » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:48 am

I like 2500 size reels on my UL setups. Balances fine and has more optimal line pickup. I have 500 and 1000 reels too, I just prefer 2500.

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by earthworm77 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:25 am

I am a big fan of the 1000 size of Shimanos. I run a few Ci4 Stradic as well as a couple of JDM models. I have one of the coveted Soare 1000's and a Sahara 500HG. I catch a lot of big bass on these reels....up to 7 or so pounds in my Fl. waters but they handle 3 and 4 lb fish easily. If you are comfortable with a larger spool reel on a lighter rod, remember you don't want to throw the balance of the system off.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:23 pm

I'm thinking of moving my Revo STX20 to a Light powered rod and buying a new Stradic Ci4+ FB 2500 for my dropshot rod. Been checking out the Lew's Crappie series (little cheap for my taste, $40ish) but they list as ML rods with a moderate taper, even though they feel about the same as a 5'6"L fast St. Croix. I wanna take a trip to basspro and see if I can find a St. Croix Premier 5'6" L fast, that would be perfect and I could pawn the Revo to it. Really wish I had a 10/1000 size for the Light rod though, even though I think the 20/2500s will be fine, I just like the look of a tiny spinning reel with a little Light powered setup. Found a new Stradic FB (non Ci4+) for a pretty good deal, but have seen a few posts downing their line roller and discussing issues.

Nrowden27
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Nrowden27 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:10 am

6' St Croix Panfish UL with a Pflueger Supreme is my go to ultra light set up.

Gloomis34
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Gloomis34 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:30 pm

To me a 7f light power rod like the loomis rst 862-2 glx or st croix 7 foot light power legend Cyrene balance really well with a 2500 size reel and you can put a shallow spool on it with lighter line and it’s wonderful even put a shorter handle on it like a 45 or 50mm and it works great.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:17 am

Gloomis34 wrote:To me a 7f light power rod like the loomis rst 862-2 glx or st croix 7 foot light power legend Cyrene balance really well with a 2500 size reel and you can put a shallow spool on it with lighter line and it’s wonderful even put a shorter handle on it like a 45 or 50mm and it works great.

So far I have got the Revo STX20 on a 6'Light TFO Professional 2 rod and its a good combo. Going to get another 6'Light now, have already really enjoyed having this combo and the wife likes panfishing too. I'm looking to make the 2nd combo a St. Croix Premier or Avid 6'Light spinning with a 1000 size Ci4+FB or Tatula LT1000. Does Loomis make some shorter (around 6'-6'6") panfish rods???