(SUL) Super Ultra Light?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight fishing success here!
Houndfish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: (SUL) Super Ultra Light?

Postby Houndfish » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:21 am

The UL Teton did not do too well with Trout Magnets in my experience. I was even using the lager Trout Slayers and the rod would not load very well for me. With the little float, it weighs in just a bit over 1/16oz:

In general, I am not loving the Teton for micro jigs and plastics. I feel like even with a wacky rigged trout worm, I am not getting consistent hooksets with it as compared to the very respectable ratio I am getting with spinners, spoons, and micro cranks.

waterone
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Postby waterone » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:32 am

I know a lot of people love the litte trout jig, however I find the hook the problem, as I like even an UL jig to have a bigger gap. My Kuying Teton 522 does well with nymphs, a small 1/32 oz jig with the Barbarian hook (comaritivly huge gape) and even Brewers slider grubs. I also cast with a sliding strike indicator, excuse me, a bobber/float.

Houndfish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby Houndfish » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:18 pm

waterone wrote:I know a lot of people love the litte trout jig, however I find the hook the problem, as I like even an UL jig to have a bigger gap.

Yes, I now only use them for panfish, perch, and in very small streams where a 1lb bass is a monster. I have caught a few smallies in the 1-2lb range on them, but it is not a great feeling the the hooks are always bent a little after the fight is over.

southpaw619
Angler
Angler

Postby southpaw619 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:17 am

Houndfish wrote:In general, I am not loving the Teton for micro jigs and plastics. I feel like even with a wacky rigged trout worm, I am not getting consistent hooksets with it as compared to the very respectable ratio I am getting with spinners, spoons, and micro cranks.

I had the same poor hook up issue with single hook jigs with the teton. This is typical of a tubular rod to have better hook up ratio with trebles than with single hooks. Since I fish mainly single hooks I was very frustrated at times which lead me to bass taper rods and particularly solid tip rods. The solid tip rods have a tremendous hook up ratio with single hook jigs.

RIng
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Postby RIng » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:59 am

Hay all ! Got my Teton 522 SUL today . As all most everyone that has one has stated it is a lot of rod for the money . I am out of 6# S832 so spooled it with 4# copolymer . 0.18mm Cast 1/8 oz. head and small 2 " bate 15 - 20 yd with ease . I think it will do better with braid . I am hoping for some above freezing weather next week and will get my BFS out on the water . With all the cold weather we have had I do not expect much from the fishing but I will try to find some yellow perch and pickerel . Good fishing to all !!! PS I was using a Alphas Air .

Dominikk85
Angler
Angler

Postby Dominikk85 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:51 pm

Got the 522 today.that rod is really thin.

Return to “Ultralight Fishing”