Your top UL baits

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Brad in Texas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Your top UL baits

Post by Brad in Texas » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:01 pm

The little Creme baits I find at Walmart are really great with a black body and chartreuse tail. I have caught bluegills, crappie and LMBs with it.

Another great choice is a simple Mepps Plain Aglia in the ultralight size (00, I think they call it). Silver is great. It has a lot of flash and they'll jump on it, too.

Simple seems to work well with ultra-light lures.

Brad

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:24 pm

1/8 oz Jackall Derabreak coupled with a 2.4" Jackall Rhythm Grub. Might not be ultra light, but it's plenty light for me. . . AND fish chew on this combo :big grin:

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:13 pm

I like a 1/8 oz. Rat-L-Trap (in perch usually), a 1/8 oz. Pop-r in frog green and a 4" Zoom Finesse Worm on a 1/16 oz. split shot rig. That covers most all of the UL bases for me.
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

Mike and Pike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike and Pike » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:52 pm

uljersey wrote:One bait that has been on fire for me this year is the Johnson ThinFisher blade bait in 3/16 oz modified with in line single hooks (the size 14 factory trebles have a terrible hook up ratio). That's actually on the outer limit or perhaps a bit beyond a true UL bait weight wise, but man I was on a run with it earlier this summer. Everything was smashing it - bass, 'gills, pickerel, perch .... what a blast ! I can see this bait being in my lineup for quite some time to come, but I've said that before 8-)

I seem to have moved away from plastics in favor of hard baits over the last couple of seasons, the exception being the Ned Rig which has been a steady producer for me. A UL version of that is easily achieved with a ball head jig and half of a 3" stick bait. Stupid simple but can be a killer at times.
Bladebaits will catch everything .
Absolutely correct on the crappy hooks that come with them. I have found only using one good quality treble up front that weighs the same as the two I removed gets much better hook up and landing rates and also keeps the action extremely similar. Also more weed free with one larger hook as opposed to two.