Shimano Soare Xtune S706UL-T rod

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Jrob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Shimano Soare Xtune S706UL-T rod

Post by Jrob » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:33 pm

Placed the ordered from Japan tonight. Can't wait to try the rod out. I will update later when it gets here. Planning to pair with a Shimano Ci4 2500hg and 6lbs braid..... :D

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Shimano Soare Xtune S706UL-T rod

Post by Big-Bass » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:44 pm

Sweet! Post some pictures of the rod and reel when you get it!

Jrob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jrob » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:04 pm

I will update thoughts when it gets here for sure!!

cpvince
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by cpvince » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:45 pm

Yup! Looking forward to a review!

Jrob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jrob » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:07 pm

Received the rod today! WOW! I have to say, these Shimano Xtune rods do not disappoint in the JDM quality department. Clean build, and super light in hand. I have owned the Shimano Soare Xtune aijing S508L as well. I am please with the action of the S708UL-T so far. It has a softer tip the the stiffer Ajing rod for sure. Tip is nice and light, but not noodle feeling. Rod has some backbone to it once it loads up. Nice parabolic action under load of a decent fish. I took it out for about an hour for a quick test run. Rod paired with Shimano Ci4 + 2500HG is dreamy. Just so light in hand it's hard to describe. I am using 6lbs yellow Sufix 832 braid and 6lbs seaguar fluorocarbon leader. I was able to catch a few bluegill, freshwater drum about 2lbs and fought a 3 lbs bass I lost right before landing it. I was using a 1.6g Shimano Soare Ajing jig and plastic in pink color I bought at Finesse-Fishing.com. The rod is just plain fun!!! It does not feel like a 7'6" rod it's so light. Can't wait to get more time with it. Winner!! =D> =D>

turtlesoup
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by turtlesoup » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:56 pm

Got my soare Xtune S706UL-T rod today, but have not fished with it yet since my reels and lines have not arrived yet. The rod is the most sensitive rod i owned, way more sensitive than my g.loomis escape glx (ml). The rod is loaded with the best of the best shimano technology and it is their flagship model for light game fishing. The action is excellent, stiffer than i thought and cast very well. All my other UL and light rods below the $200 price point felt limp and dead compared to this rod. It is suppose to be able to land 4.5kg fish as stated in their official website during their field test and i will try definitely try to confirm this in a few days, hopefully not destroying it in the process. The built is very solid with no imperfection detected so far and it is made in China. The only issue i have is that the color of the rod is not as red as i have thought. It is closer to deep orange rather than red. I bought stradic ci4+ 1000hg to match the look, but judging by the color i should have bought soare ci4+ reel or vanquish instead. I am very picky with the design of my rod and reel set.

Jrob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jrob » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:19 pm

Glad someone else bought one! Most amazing UL rod I have owned. Truly a work of art. Top notch quality, components, and just fun. I was on the white bass this morning using a 1/8oz gold spoon and a barbless hook. Money!

turtlesoup
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by turtlesoup » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:30 am

I just used the the soare xtune today to catch over 20 large mouth bass. A few things i want to add for this rod review:

1) It seems the optimal weight to cast this rod is between 6-7 gram. I have tried casting from 2g-10g of lure with this rod with maximum casting power. The accuracy and distance for the 6-7 gram lure is the highest. This rod can cast 12 gram no problem, but there is less accuracy as the tip of the rod felt too wobbly with this much weight. The rod is only rated to throw 6 gram maximum, but for sure it can handle heavier load quiet well.

2) sensitivity is through the roof. When the weight or lure hit hard surface there is a distinct echo that can be felt along the hollow rod. It can detect the slightest bite from very small fish when i tested it with small hooks to catch a fish that weigh only 5 gram. The carbon monocule at the butt of the rod really helps with sensitivity. Its so sensitive that you can judge how hard the surface that you hit if you use tungsten weight and pe line, or you can pick and choose which fish that bite the lure/bait is bigger before deciding to strike. Very unique feeling.

3) The power of the rod is also stronger than expected. I was catching small bass in the 1-2 pound range. This rod felt like a light rod instead of UL rod. The fish pose no challenge to this rod. The tip felt very soft even if it is a tubular tip, but it loads up fast when hooked onto a fish. When fighting the fish the rod bend is similar to a medium fast to medium action rod. Lots of power. I will be testing this rod to its limit in the next few week to catch black carp that weigh over 10 KG. I am confident that this rod can handle them too if the drag is set right.

4) casting with this rod is quite different from the rod i m used too. I usually use my arm and wrist to cast maximum distance, but i find that with this rod, wrist casting can get close to its maximum casting distance...its that easy to cast. Amazing. The center of gravity of this rod is very far at the back, much more than the usual rod. I recommend using 1000 size reel (no more than 160gram weight) and below to get the proper balance. A 2000 size reel felt too heavy for this rod and destroys its balance. I also recommend that a high end 1000 size reel be used with this rod to maximize its potential and fun factor. I paired it with stradic Ci4+ 1000hg and its really not good enough for this rod. A soare ci4+ reel or a vanquish will be much nicer.

Jrob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jrob » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:09 am

Great review! I am thinking I need the new Soare Ci4+ 500 size reel for mine :) Having fished the UL saltwater rods this past year I am loving the actions. Like UL with muscle, yet protects light line. FUN!