Ester mono.

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Ester mono.

Post by Alphahawk » Wed May 10, 2017 8:24 pm

I ordered some "Ester Mono" line out of Japan and decided to give it a try today. It is like mono...but it is made from polyester...zero stretch and it sinks. The diameter is .090 mm and it is rated at 1.4# test Max. I used this in a small TWRA Lake and caught a lot of 7-8 inch Gills and a bunch of short crappie...9-10 inch fish. I have to tell you it is some amazing stuff. I used it with 3 different JDM UL rods. Had a lot of fun with it today. I won't order anymore that is so small though. They do make it in 2.4# test and I already have some ordered. It can cast a 1/64 jig a long way. This line is made for Ajing rod fishing to make it all come together as the most sensitive setup you can have. The line casts well....great line manageability....and yes it does take what are already sensitive rods and make them even more so. While I did not tangle with any 10 inch Gills yesterday....and my intent was using this light rated line to have fun with smaller Gills......and that was a huge success. I thought I would have trouble with the line breaking....even 8 inch Gills put up a great fight.....but I did not break off a single fish. This line will be on one of my reels to use with the Tict Ice Cube for crappie and Gill fishing. This next week I will be trying out the 1.5# test Ajing Master fluorocarbon line. The journey continues.

Regards

CM_Stewart
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Ester mono.

Post by CM_Stewart » Wed May 10, 2017 11:26 pm

Thank you for that report. I had seen the ester lines but not knowing anything about them didn't buy any. I will, though! I found a hi-vis 1.75# line that I'll try. I'm a line watcher so I really prefer hi-vis lines.
Chris Stewart
(affiliations: TenkaraBum.com, Finesse-Fishing.com)

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu May 11, 2017 12:43 am

Alphahawk wrote:I ordered some "Ester Mono" line out of Japan and decided to give it a try today. It is like mono...but it is made from polyester...zero stretch and it sinks. The diameter is .090 mm and it is rated at 1.4# test Max. I used this in a small TWRA Lake and caught a lot of 7-8 inch Gills and a bunch of short crappie...9-10 inch fish. I have to tell you it is some amazing stuff. I used it with 3 different JDM UL rods. Had a lot of fun with it today. I won't order anymore that is so small though. They do make it in 2.4# test and I already have some ordered. It can cast a 1/64 jig a long way. This line is made for Ajing rod fishing to make it all come together as the most sensitive setup you can have. The line casts well....great line manageability....and yes it does take what are already sensitive rods and make them even more so. While I did not tangle with any 10 inch Gills yesterday....and my intent was using this light rated line to have fun with smaller Gills......and that was a huge success. I thought I would have trouble with the line breaking....even 8 inch Gills put up a great fight.....but I did not break off a single fish. This line will be on one of my reels to use with the Tict Ice Cube for crappie and Gill fishing. This next week I will be trying out the 1.5# test Ajing Master fluorocarbon line. The journey continues.

Regards
What Ice Cube you got? How do you like it?
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Thu May 11, 2017 12:46 am

At the equivalent diameter of .0035" I do believe we are at the size of thin human hair!! :D

RIng
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by RIng » Thu May 11, 2017 6:06 am

Hi can you tell me where you ordered the ester from , as I can not find it . I am not 100% happy with the nanofill and nano bared I am using now . thank you

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Thu May 11, 2017 7:26 am

ccass wrote:
Alphahawk wrote:I ordered some "Ester Mono" line out of Japan and decided to give it a try today. It is like mono...but it is made from polyester...zero stretch and it sinks. The diameter is .090 mm and it is rated at 1.4# test Max. I used this in a small TWRA Lake and caught a lot of 7-8 inch Gills and a bunch of short crappie...9-10 inch fish. I have to tell you it is some amazing stuff. I used it with 3 different JDM UL rods. Had a lot of fun with it today. I won't order anymore that is so small though. They do make it in 2.4# test and I already have some ordered. It can cast a 1/64 jig a long way. This line is made for Ajing rod fishing to make it all come together as the most sensitive setup you can have. The line casts well....great line manageability....and yes it does take what are already sensitive rods and make them even more so. While I did not tangle with any 10 inch Gills yesterday....and my intent was using this light rated line to have fun with smaller Gills......and that was a huge success. I thought I would have trouble with the line breaking....even 8 inch Gills put up a great fight.....but I did not break off a single fish. This line will be on one of my reels to use with the Tict Ice Cube for crappie and Gill fishing. This next week I will be trying out the 1.5# test Ajing Master fluorocarbon line. The journey continues.

Regards
What Ice Cube you got? How do you like it?

It is hard to say what my favorite JDM rod is but the Ice Cube is at the top of that list. It is the 6' 9" Rockin' Drift. It as if it was designed to catch crappie. The whole upper section is solid. Crappie can bite funny and if one casts for them...as I do.....you want the most sensitive rod you can have. I do not use hi-vis line..though I should. Many will tell you that you will see the line move when a crappie hits before you feel the bite....and many times you will not feel the bite. That is not the case with the Ice Cube. You will feel the thump...or you will get the feeling in your hands of what I have read that the Japanese call the "off bite". It is where the fish is not doing anything or it is moving with the retrieve. You feel it with this rod. You learn real quick when you get this strange feeling in your hand that a fish has it. It is also an excellent bluegill and trout rod. I have landed several smallmouth at the 21 inch mark with this rod but I do not like to take it to Smallie waters. I had no problem handling them it is just a personal thing...if fishing for Gills in known Smallie waters I will use the Yamaga Blanks Blue Current 6' 10" TZ. I like the Ice Cube so much that if I broke it tomorrow I would order a new one the same day.

Regards

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Thu May 11, 2017 7:29 am

Smead wrote:At the equivalent diameter of .0035" I do believe we are at the size of thin human hair!! :D
You are right...I can hardly see too tie the knot. I took a pic of a crappie in the net with the jig still in the mouth and you can not see the line in the pic...the camera used is the one on the iPhone 7 Plus.....pretty darn good for a cell phone camera.

Regards

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Thu May 11, 2017 7:42 am

RIng wrote:Hi can you tell me where you ordered the ester from , as I can not find it . I am not 100% happy with the nanofill and nano bared I am using now . thank you

I got it from Digitaka. Link is below. I strongly suggest you get the 2.2# test. The 1.4# test is just too small of a line in my opinion. I used to use NanoFil a lot.....and still do sometimes. But using it on JDM rods with the small solid tips it can wrap around the tip very easily. I did not have this issue yesterday with the ester line. I would choose it over NanoFil anyday...but do keep in mind I have only used this line one time...will use it again Saturday...but yesterday sold me.

Regards

https://www.digitaka.com/list.php?categ ... item=JOKER

RIng
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by RIng » Thu May 11, 2017 3:48 pm

Thank you for the info. I ordered some Sunline ester 1.75 flash yellow , and fluor. FC sniper 1.5 lb. with a 1003 Daiwa Revros .

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:28 am

Dredging this thread up from the depths...

Is an of this stuff available domestically yet? If not, what would be a good middle of the road brand to go with? I'll be using it for trout fishing on the east coast of Canada, mostly getting native brook and stocked rainbows, but hopefully some big brows too. Thanks in advance!

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:57 pm

Old thread. Any more updates on the Ester Mono?

Thanks!
UL

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:17 am

ultralight wrote:Old thread. Any more updates on the Ester Mono?

Thanks!
UL
Sorry....did not see this....I don't receive notices of a new post to a thread I started even though I have all the settings clicked to notify me.....whatever the reason it just does not work. I am fishing ester quite a lot now. I love the stuff. You have to pay attention to how you spool it up.....close the bail by hand and so on. I have a YouTube channel that has a few videos on it about using the line. The name of the channel is TroutMagnetMan. As there is zero stretch there is no forgiveness. My nephew......who only fishes for trout.....is now a big user. He just returned from a trip to the Little Red River and used that line to help him catch 100 trout a day...or more. He loves the stuff. His guide was also very impressed with the line. While it is not available in the USA it is only 8 dollars a spool out of Japan. I have stocked up with 10 spools of it. I really like the Varivas brand. There is a line that touts itself as a superior ester for manageability due to being infused with bamboo.....it is made by Sunline. I want to try it but the strongest it comes in is only 1.75# test......a little light for me.

Regards

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Just_Bass » Sat May 18, 2019 2:06 pm

How is ester line strength compare to those mono? Let’s say 2.4lb ester line vs 2-3lb mono?

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sat May 18, 2019 2:31 pm

If it's 2.4, they mean 2.4. It's easy to break with your bare hands because it doesn't stretch at all.
This is the way.

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Sat May 18, 2019 2:35 pm

Just_Bass wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 2:06 pm
How is ester line strength compare to those mono? Let’s say 2.4lb ester line vs 2-3lb mono?
This is a discussion I am having with myself...and a few others right now. I catch a lot of smallmouth using an ajing rod with 2-3 pound nylon mono test line...no issues. Hooking into smallmouth using ester 2.3# test line with an ajing rod just does not work. My drag setting goes from the 20 percent I had set to over 50 percent at full rod deflection. Something has to give and it is the ester line. Using ester line on a mebaru rod or area trout rod, at full rod deflection there is not a lot of increase in my drag setting. As to breaking strength....it breaks at 2.3# test. A high end JDM nylon line breaks at it's rated strength. But.....in the real world in use, and the ester having no stretch....and using an ajing rod, which is UL but is still very rigid.....it snaps real quick. I've tested all of this on a Bouz Drag Checker. I have a youtube channel "TroutMagnet" man. If you care to check it out there are several videos where I am using the ester line and catching a ton of KY Spotted bass, but the rod is an area trout rod....very soft and takes the pressure off the line. Took an ajing rod to same spot with drag set at 20 percent...first cast hook up with Spotted bass and snap. Several that I know have the same issue using ester with ajing rods. I love the stuff...but.....if I am after Smallies or fish bigger than panfish, I will be using a softer action rod....such as an area trout rod or a mebaru rod with the ester. I know that breaking strength is breaking strength no matter if the line stretches or not.....but ester is fickle. Ester has a place on my reels for sure...just need to use the right rod.

Regards