A look inside my new Abu Part 1

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

A look inside my new Abu Part 1

Post by uljersey » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:54 am

Like I mentioned on another thread I went ahead and grabbed one of these Cardinals from the FFO site. On that thread Smead and I came to the conclusion that it was likely an Asian market item from around 2011 or so. It came yesterday and I had a chance to dig into it a bit.

It comes in a touch over 4" with the rotor at the lowest point in it's travel. I would consider it to be in the 500 size class. While not what I would consider "tiny" by any stretch, it is small. Whether or not one would consider it "true UL" is always up for debate. Note it does have an AR switch. The stem is long enough that when mounted on a rod and held with a "full fist" grip there's still plenty of room between the bail and your knuckles ... unless you've got freakishly fat fingers or fish with oven mitts ... Speaking of the bail, I was pleasantly surprised to see not just one, but two bearings in the line roller. Nice added touch on such a critical area =D>

The spool comes in at 1.5" diameter. The drag is a single felt washer and a steel washer. I prefer multiple washers, preferably carbon, but this seems to be the norm for many reels in this class. The adjustment knob does have a very fine clicker and based on a non fishing evaluation, the drag overall is not terrible by any stretch. It would likely serve it's purpose well enough in stock form, a carbon disc in place of the felt and a lap/polish on the steel washer would take it to the next level.

The handle has an EVA foam paddle and a hex shaft. Notice the star washer on the shaft, which nestles itself into the serrations in the pinion gear. Nice added degree of security. When the handle is installed and the reel is cranked, it's nice and smooth with no perceptible gear slop ... however the paddle does have a bit of end play which produces a clacking on each revolution. It's not the end of the world and can surely be dampened with a bit of grease. It could have used another shim or two.

The guts of it. Nothing special going on in here, typical gear train design. Might last a few seasons or even more if maintained properly. I wonder what, if any, parts are available ? At least bearings are easily sourced ...

I'll continue on another thread as too many pictures within one thread can be an issue.

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: A look inside my new Abu Part 1

Post by Smead » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:14 am

uljersey, Eagle landed...check PM's.