Long Light Power Rod

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Isaiah20
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Long Light Power Rod

Post by Isaiah20 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:31 am

I am looking for a light or ultralight power moderate action rod. I am going to use this rod to fish night crawlers weightless on trout streams. Micro Power Pro for a mainline and fluorocarbon leaders. Needs to be at least 8 ft.

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Long Light Power Rod

Post by timinmo » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:09 pm

St. Croix has a couple options for you in the "Panfish" line. They also have one that might work in the "Premier" line. I'm sure there are others, but I was familiar with these.

Isaiah20
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Isaiah20 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:56 am

I bought a Fenwick Eagle 8' UL Moderate action for real cheap. Not going to last that long in my quiver, fairly dead rod for drifting baits. My dad yesterday broke his rod trout fishing. I had the Eagle in the car. I gave him my RiverRunner and fished the Eagle. I really liked the length and action of the rod for small jig plastic combos and once I got accustomed to the rod was casting pretty accurately. Where I really loved the rod was on the 14-18inch trout. The length and action of the rod combined nicely to allow me to control these fish extremely well.

I am thinking about the 8' UL River Runner or the Phenix Dragonfly. Both are moderate action. Does anyone has any experience with either of these two rods?

slime king
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by slime king » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:52 am

My friend just built a Phenix Elixr 801 and I think that would do an excellent job for what you are looking to do. While not a Moderate rod it is still fairly long and has a tip light enough for live bait.

gillchaser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gillchaser » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:25 am

I own a St Croix 9' light moderate action Salmon Steelhead rod I use for long distance casting from shore , fishing micro jigs under a weighted float . A lot of rod for $109 .
Someday I plan on picking up the 10'6" UL Slow action one they offer in the Salmon, Steelhead rods. Bet it'd be a hoot catching big bluegills on . Gillchaser