Fenwick

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Fenwick

Post by uljersey » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:37 am

Had to send my Elite Tech back for possible warranty/repair a few weeks back. I was wiping it down and getting ready to mount the reel and spool it up when the first guide from the handle broke off at the guide frame/blank junction point. I was baffled, that had never happened to me before and the guide had never been bent or otherwise damaged.

I sent it back and was awaiting their decision. If they had determined it to be my fault I was good with that, I would have been happy to pay for a guide replacement as there was nothing wrong with the rest of the rod. Got home today and there's a brand new one waiting for me.

The original was a 6' 8" first generation, they don't make a 6' 8" anymore, so they gave me the second generation 6' 9"

If that first rod could talk 8-) ... I'm kind of sad to see it go, but it is what it is. Time to get some stink on this one I guess.

Hat's off to Fenwick. They don't get the glory or attention of some of the other rod makers, but they make a fine product and the service to back it up. Well done.

gillchaser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Fenwick

Post by gillchaser » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:17 am

Congrats ! That's awesome customer service . I've forgotten how long the warranty is on the River Tech rods . Need to get mine out and put to work . Gillchaser

sqhertz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by sqhertz » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:45 am

Awesome they took care of you without hassle. I'm like clicks away from ordering another Ul and again kept coming back to the RR or something else. Reading your post definitely put Fenwick up front.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:40 am

gillchaser wrote:Congrats ! That's awesome customer service . I've forgotten how long the warranty is on the River Tech rods . Need to get mine out and put to work . Gillchaser
Warranty is limited lifetime. Mine was purchased in 2011.

gillchaser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gillchaser » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:12 am

uljersey wrote:
gillchaser wrote:Congrats ! That's awesome customer service . I've forgotten how long the warranty is on the River Tech rods . Need to get mine out and put to work . Gillchaser
Warranty is limited lifetime. Mine was purchased in 2011.
Now that you mention it , I remember registering mine on line . That's why I get emails from Fenwick all the time . I've had mine awhile . It is first generation . Gillchaser

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by earthworm77 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:58 pm

If I wasn't such a Major Craft whore I'd have a few RR's.

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timinmo » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:39 am

This thread made me go to the garage to look at my old Fenwick ultra light. This does go back a ways. The rod is glass 5'6" 2 piece, rated for 1 to 4 lb line with a lure rating of 1/8 to 1/4. It has a Tennessee handle. I think it was purchased in the late 60's or early 70's. The label says it weights 2 3/8 oz.

When I bought it this was a top of the line rod and I think I paid like $37 for it. Originally it had wire guides, they looked like the present day Recoils. These got grooved after some use. Ceramics were just becoming popular and I had the originals replaced with ceramics. Well the ceramics were much heavier and ruined the action of the rod, so it sat for sometime.

In the early 2000's I got into rod building and after building a few from blanks I was looking for a project and picked up the old Fenwick. I stripped off the old guides and replaced them with a new set of micro guides. My old friend was reborn, it felt great again. Now I use it for throwing ultra light cranks, like the Rebel tiny craw. That soft glass action is prefect for those little cranks on the small creeks around here. I have a Mitchell 308 that looks new that has sat on the rod but usually it has a Stradic 1000 with 4 lb line on it. It is just a much better reel than the old Mitchell.

Any way it is a great old rod that sees quite a bit of use after having sat for a decade or more.

gillchaser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gillchaser » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:31 am

timinmo wrote:This thread made me go to the garage to look at my old Fenwick ultra light. This does go back a ways. The rod is glass 5'6" 2 piece, rated for 1 to 4 lb line with a lure rating of 1/8 to 1/4. It has a Tennessee handle. I think it was purchased in the late 60's or early 70's. The label says it weights 2 3/8 oz.

When I bought it this was a top of the line rod and I think I paid like $37 for it. Originally it had wire guides, they looked like the present day Recoils. These got grooved after some use. Ceramics were just becoming popular and I had the originals replaced with ceramics. Well the ceramics were much heavier and ruined the action of the rod, so it sat for sometime.

In the early 2000's I got into rod building and after building a few from blanks I was looking for a project and picked up the old Fenwick. I stripped off the old guides and replaced them with a new set of micro guides. My old friend was reborn, it felt great again. Now I use it for throwing ultra light cranks, like the Rebel tiny craw. That soft glass action is prefect for those little cranks on the small creeks around here. I have a Mitchell 308 that looks new that has sat on the rod but usually it has a Stradic 1000 with 4 lb line on it. It is just a much better reel than the old Mitchell.

Any way it is a great old rod that sees quite a bit of use after having sat for a decade or more.
Would love to see a picture of your Fenwick combo . I wish manufacturers would offer a few nice glass rods . Gillchaser

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timinmo » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:57 am

Gillchaser, I really wanted to post it on your 5 footer thread but this picture deal is beyond me. I can email you a picture and you can post if you chose. It is a fun rod and brings memories every time I use it.

gillchaser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gillchaser » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:17 am

timinmo wrote:Gillchaser, I really wanted to post it on your 5 footer thread but this picture deal is beyond me. I can email you a picture and you can post if you chose. It is a fun rod and brings memories every time I use it.
Sign up for Photobucket account. It's free . Then just copy and paste the "IMG " line . Gillchaser