Shimano Sahara 1000Fl review

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
gillchaser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Shimano Sahara 1000Fl review

Post by gillchaser » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:37 am

Got my new Sahara 1000 today . The specs on this one convinced me it was going to be a great value .
When I opened the box I thought they had sent me the wrong reel , it looked so big for a 1000 size reel . But the spool said 1000 on it . Looks like a 1500 size reel with a 1000 spool .
I mounted it on a St Croix Triumph UL Rod and spooled it up with 4# PLine . As I was filling the spool I noticed Shimano put the same shaped stem angle on this reel that they had on the old Symetre , cramping my knuckles , squeezing them into the stem .
I took it up to the town pond late this evening to attempt to get it slimed . And I did , with two small bass and five gills on Trout Magnets .
The reel with the moderate 5' Rod cast the Trout Magnet pretty good with 4# line . Better than I expected . The reel is Rey smooth . I would say as smooth as my Stradics . It feels like a reel that cost a lot more than $80 . If they had just made the stem a liitle different so my fingers wouldn't be so cramped .
I could live with the extra weight and size , but I'm not sure I'll be able to get use to shifting my finger position after each cast . I hope I can figure something out and it doesn't wind up in the reel box with my Symetre 3000.
Gillchaser
Specs
Retrieve: Reversible | Gear Ratio: 5.0:1 | Weight (oz): 7.6 oz. | Bearings: 4+1 | LPT: 26" | Capacity (lb/yd): Mono 2/270, 4/140, 6/110; Braid 10/95, 15/85, 20/65 | Max Drag (lb
Features
Hagane Gearing delivers unmatched smoothness and reliability
X-Ship supports pinion gear for precise alignment with gear drive
G-Free body is perfectly
Last edited by gillchaser on Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

gillchaser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Shimano Sahara 1000Fl review

Post by gillchaser » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:41 am

Size compared to an older Sahara 1000 .

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by earthworm77 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:02 am

The larger size does not appeal to me, I have a few of tho older Sahara's with the Stella type handle......those are great little reels.

gillchaser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gillchaser » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:14 am

earthworm77 wrote:The larger size does not appeal to me, I have a few of tho older Sahara's with the Stella type handle......those are great little reels.
Me neither . If I'd known they had grown , I wouldn't have ordered it . I'm guessing all the other new Shimanos are going to be around the same size . Glad I've got several 500's to last me awhile . :) Gillchaser

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:26 pm

I guess that the greater length is due to that X-ship and a bigger oscillation gear???

Would be interesting to get a measurement from the rod to the line roller for both reels...seems odd they would perpetuate a known problem.

Maybe the ergonomics are fine for Asians and only effect Western "round eyed devils". :D

The new style handle looks somewhat "cheapo" too.

gillchaser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gillchaser » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:15 pm

Smead wrote:
Maybe the ergonomics are fine for Asians and only effect Western "round eyed devils". :D
That thought did cross my mind :) . I don't think I have what I would call huge hands . About average , although my knuckles are a little swollen from Arthritus.
I'll see if I can get that measurement for you . Gillchaser

gillchaser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gillchaser » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:44 pm

Some measurements
Distance between roller and Rod (used same Rod of course)
Sahara 1000 Fl - 1.394"
Sahara 1000 FD - 1.253"
Width of rear of reel
Sahara 1000 Fl - .972"
Sahara 1000 FD - .822"
Overall length with spool at top of cycle
Sahara 1000 Fl - 4.726"
Sahara 1000 FD - 4.190"
I included the width and length to show the overall larger size of the reel .
One thing I left out of my review was the drag , which feels awesome , very smooth and fully adjustable with a wide range of adjustment. Gillchaser

gillchaser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gillchaser » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:55 pm

I'm going out shopping today . The new Sedona has been out for awhile . I have seen them but didn't handle one . It's has a different body style and no X-Ship or Hagane gears . One less bearing . $10 less in cost .
That's why I went for the Sahara , more features , more bearings for only $10 more investment.
It'd be interesting to see if it's a knuckle buster . Gillchaser

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:14 am

I don't know for sure...but in the pictures at the looks it looks about the same.

Sahara side profile:

https://www.fishusa.com/product/Shimano ... Reels-2016

Sedona side profile:

https://www.fishusa.com/product/Shimano ... ning-Reels

You can't tell very well from their pictures, but the Nasci and Sienna seem the same too.

A different geometry is shown in these reels; couldn't figure out why Shimano had them at similar price points...maybe it's for "round eyed devils"?

Nexave:

Catana

Maybe you can take your rod with you and try the reek on it before buying?

gillchaser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gillchaser » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:57 am

Well , I got handle a new Sedona 1000 . Same deal . The reel body is too close to the foot . I think they call this body a M compact . I got to checking on other models and it seems all of the upper priced models have the G Free body , even the new Stradics and Ci4's .
I found an old new stock Spirex 1000 . If it'd had a single paddle handle to go with it. I'd bought the thing . Still may go back and pick one up . I've got an old model Sienna that I think the handle will fit it . It's been awhile since I used a reel with the Quick-Fire feature . Five bearings .
Oh BTW , the new Sienna is a two bearing reel , one ball bearing , one roller bearing . The older ones are 4 bearing . Cheap, Cheap , Cheap ! Gillchaser

jigmaster5
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jigmaster5 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:34 pm

thx for the review! that thing looks huge. too bad Shimano decided to ruin a perfectly good line-up...

will be fishing more Daiwa + Pflueger....i might even try an Okuma [gasp!]

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

IlliniDawg01

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:24 pm

When I was at Scheels the other day, all the Shimano spinners feel wayyyy smoother than the Pflueger and Quantum and Lews that I handled. They didn't carry Daiwas.

I am a fan of the snapshot style spinners, but they never put that feature on nice reels.

DaveJ